Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:13 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I haven't made up my mind about this yet. But I do want to comment on this:

You can't seriously believe this is what they are after? You and I both know what they want to stop:
Limewire, Lizardwire, Frostwire or whatever other *wire* service that pops up to allow people to steal:
MUSIC
MOVIES

Thats's all. That's what this is about.

You can thank MegaUpload for this. Did they really think they could do that forever and not get in trouble?
Apparently.
Doesn't matter what it is "about", it only matters what they have the power to do. Good intentions is where the infringements begin and it is that wide open power of such that eventually allows for extreme abuse and control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,651,453 times
Quote:
Not saying it is totally thier fault, Skel. But they certainly helped add kindling to the fire. And the ISP's are going to hold them up to the light and use them as an example of how many millions of MP3's and 100's of 1000's of movies are available to people. For peanuts.

It does amazes me that so many people think it is thier god given right to steal music and movies. Steal your music the old fashion way: check out CD's from the library.
Sorry I was being a bit of a jerk. I have strong opinions on this subject and while I know its wrong, somehow I don't feel guilty.

I understand the reasoning behind SOPA and all the other anti online piracy "movements", however I think they go about it the wrong way. I don't believe anyone should be spied upon and I said the same thing about the patriot act after 9/11. I personally think the media industry should have got with the time so to speak, and figured out a way to offer media in a different way than just the movie theatres. So I do believe the way things are now is atleast some fault of big media
companies and their lack of ability to adapt and offer their customers what they want. I also can't offer a solution to their problem but then again I might have thought it through more if billions of dollars were on the line for myself.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:47 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Quote:
Steal your music the old fashion way: check out CD's from the library.
LOL, back in my day I had to walk through ten feet of snow uphill to get to the radio with a tape deck. Then you had to hit the record button. If you were lucky you had one those dual decks and could edit out the commercials and songs you didn't want or <gasp> duplicate a whole tape, of course you had to listen to the entire tape to record it.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 13,371,694 times
They should totally monitor the Internet traffic, after all, as the entities that run this country, it is their right. What, you didn't know major corporations ran this country not the POTUS or any other politician?

@Jesse69, don't get me started on AT&T, as big of a Telecom Corp. it is, it's that much corrupted. They were letting government agencies use their trunks to spy on people's calls (without subpoena or warrant) over 3 decades. Google sold out several years back. Big brother has been monitoring in as many different ways as there are to communicate. Land of the Free, my *****!
A person's freedom and rights? Only a delusional person believes that they still exist.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 AM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
<gasp> duplicate a whole tape, of course you had to listen to the entire tape to record it.
But then they invented High Speed Dubbing! And there was joy in the land!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM

209 posts, read 656,886 times
Simple way around this.... use peerblock and encrypt your torrent traffic.... if that isn't secure enough for you... encrypt your whole system using truecrypt.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:42 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
. I don't believe anyone should be spied upon
atleast some fault of big media
companies and their lack of ability to adapt and offer their customers what they want..
You're bring 'spied upon' in most stores with their security cameras....because many people steal.
What customers(?) apparently want is something for nothing.They should offer that?
Keep in mind, if there was no theft there would be no need to 'spy' to try to prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers