Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,515,571 times

Advertisements

Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other Internet service providers in the United States will soon launch new programs to police their networks in an effort to catch digital pirates and stop illegal file-sharing. Major ISPs announced last summer that they had agreed to take new measures in an effort to prevent subscribers from illegally downloading copyrighted material, but the specifics surrounding the imminent antipiracy measures were not made available. Now, RIAA chief executive Cary Sherman has said that ISPs are ready to begin their efforts to curtail illegal movie, music and software downloads on July 12th. Read on for more.

“Each ISP has to develop their infrastructure for automating the system,” Sherman said during a talk at the annual Association of American Publishers meeting, according to CNET. Measures will also be taken to establish databases “so they can keep track of repeat infringers, so they know that this is the first notice or the third notice. Every ISP has to do it differently depending on the architecture of its particular network. Some are nearing completion and others are a little further from completion.”

Customers found to be illegally downloading copyrighted material will first receive one or two notifications from their ISPs, essentially stating that they have been caught. If the illegal downloads continue, subscribers will receive a new notice requesting acknowledgement that the notice has been received. Subsequent offenses can then result in bandwidth throttling and even service suspension.

The news comes shortly after the closure of file-sharing giant Megaupload and increased pressure on other networks thought to be major hubs for the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials. Some studies show that these measures have had no impact on piracy, however, so organizations like the RIAA have been lobbying for ISPs to intervene and develop systems that will allow them to police their networks and directly address subscribers who illegally download copyrighted content.

Damn this is not good at all here In Houston Tx Comcast & AT&T are my only 2 choices for high speed internet and both are gonna start monitoring ISPs lame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
This is a better solution than randomly suing people. It's supposed to be completely automated. No one will be manually reviewing your usage. So it's only bad if you're a thief.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,124,173 times
Another reason I won't be voting for obama, without the WH's help this monitoring tactic would not have worked...

Quote:
Supporters say this could become the most effective antipiracy program ever. Since ISPs are the Internet's gatekeepers, the theory is that network providers are in the best position to fight illegal file sharing. CNET broke the news last June that the RIAA and counterparts at the trade group for the big film studios, had managed to get the deal through--with the help of the White House.
RIAA chief: ISPs to start policing copyright by July 1 | Media Maverick - CNET News

Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,330,586 times
I wonder how they plan on notifying people. If they send an email to the default email address associated with my account, I'd never see it.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 PM

You could always, you know, stop stealing.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM

723 posts, read 2,187,945 times
usenet.

Yes I broke the first rule.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You could always, you know, stop stealing.
The last time I stole anything was a pencil off a teachers desk when I was in grade school 50 years ago....

The trash they call music and movies today isn't worth my time nor disk space to download...

Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The last time I stole anything was a pencil off a teachers desk when I was in grade school 50 years ago....

The trash they call music and movies today isn't worth my time nor disk space to download...
Then why do you care if your ISP is going to monitor their network for illegally downloaded material?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Then why do you care if your ISP is going to monitor their network for illegally downloaded material?
So you approve of the government putting restrictions on the Internet I see...

You download a picture off the Internet that's copyrighted ---OOPS

You save off a picture of Mickey Mouse so your daughter can color it ---OOPS2

You download a copyrighted icon for your desktop ---OOPS3

And your ISP disables your Internet account...

That's what this thing has done, turned ISP's in Copyright Police...

Mind you, all they need to do is SUSPECT you of downloading, they don't have to PROVE you actually did...

Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
As the perfect example of copyright abuse look at this C-D link:

Where does the information come from?

Obviously the OP was copy/pasted from another source, but did the author of the OP include the source of the data?

No....OOPS.... the OP illegally downloaded it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers