Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM

16,452 posts, read 19,469,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
This machine is the fastest PC I've ever owned. The front-facing hard-drive bays make it easy to migrate your old PC, as long as you have SATA drives.
I just want to comment on this. This system does sound cool but all it does is add the hard drive to your windows system. So it will create like an F: drive that will allow you to get to your stuff on the old drive.
But this won't even work for you. It, apparently going by the review, will only accept a SATA Hard Drive which is the new standard for hard drives. You 7 year old hard drive is NOT SATA so you won't even be able to use the front bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,283,869 times
Thanks, Peregrine, but my six-year old Gateway is SATA. I double-checked because I know that six years is pretty much the dividing line.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM

16,452 posts, read 19,469,725 times
Wow, has SATA been around that long? lol Time flies. I would have guessed 5.

That's great! Good work on that.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Yes. I bought mine in 2006, which is the year that I think it became available -- although someone told me he got one much earlier than that. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,631,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wow, has SATA been around that long? lol Time flies. I would have guessed 5.

That's great! Good work on that.
I'm not sure exactly when it became available, but I've got a couple of really old boxes laying around that have newer SATA drives in them. They are both single core socket 478 machines.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM

I was curious because I was sure that 2006 was the first year. But it appears that my friend is right in that SATA was available before then.

According to "Timeline: 50 Years of Hard Drives":

2003: Western Digital introduces the first 10,000-rpm SATA hard drive, the 37GB Raptor, which is designed for the enterprise, but which gamers quickly learn is a hot desktop performer in dual-drive RAID setups.

2006: Western Digital launches its 10,000-rpm Raptor X SATA hard drive, boosting its capacity to 150GB and placing a flashy transparent window that allows specially designed computer cases to showcase its inner workings.

Timeline: 50 Years of Hard Drives | PCWorld

Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,304,738 times
Ha I was too tired to post last night but in between the experts seemed to have stepped in, I was going to suggest "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" (Start > RUN > migwiz > OK) even though as Mensa mentioned it doesn't do a complete job it is good as a starting point.
"Windows Easy File Transfer for 7" that Sepul mentioned seemed a newer product so it might possibly do even a better job.

For files, you can always use one of the freely available application. I personally use one of my own batch scripts which is generic enough for almost any user on any system to use. If interested I could share it, it is fairly straightforward and automated but depending on where you want to transfer the data, the target drive in the script would have to be changed.

In essence, there is 1 location where almost all your personal data would be located at which is your user profile at "C:\Documents and Settings\username" and on Windows 7 that is "C:\Users\username".
All your Mozilla Bookmarks and settings are basically in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox" folder. Simply copying that folder on to the new Windows 7 would work if you copied the folder after installing Firefox on the new PC but before you launch Firefox! The target location would be "C:\Users\username\AppData (hidden)\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox". If a "PRofiles" folder exists within that last Firefox folder then you know Firefox was launched.

You are right about the WD Raptor drives. I didn't know they were one of the first to appear in consumer market but I believe I bought my 74GB Sata Raptor drives back in 2004 or 2005 and they had already been out for a year or so. I waited because they were hella expensive initially, even when I got them, around $200 a pop!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
There's not much to add on the "expert" side since everyone has given such excellent advice so I'll tell you a story about something I used to do - unsuccessfully.

I had a few clients that I used to visit for the same reason multiple times. I would tell them to set up a video camera and record what I did when I was there so they could do it themselves later. I know this sounds counter-productive to a business, but this was when I knew I would be retiring soon.

Not a single client ever did it.

I mention it because if you had done it you wouldn't have this problem.

Do it this time, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers