U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 PM

201 posts, read 600,082 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just recently found out that you can download Youtube videos!! Yes, I know this function is probably very old knowledge to many people.

I download the videos fine, but am very interested in putting what I have downloaded onto disc so I can watch the videos on my television.

When I download them it says they are "MP4" under proerties. When I put them to DVD only my computer recognizes the file/download. I have tried the DVDs on 4 different DVD players and none will play the file. What do I need to do to these files once they are downloaded before I put them to disc to be able to watch them correctly? My guess is that I have to filter the downloaded video and change the format type before burning. Is that correct?

If so, what format type does it need to be to play on my TV and how do I do this? Is there a program I can download for free that will allow me to feed the file through and in the process change the format to be able to be watched on television?

I am sure this is a very amateur computer problem. But, any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,431,342 times
It needs to be transcoded into mpeg 2 and formatted on the DVD so your DVD player can play it. Any video editing program should do it. Have you tried Windows Movie Maker / DVD Maker? I'm not certain they can do it but they're free and worth trying.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,479,348 times
download real player and convert them

Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 PM

17,094 posts, read 19,576,647 times
Terms of Service - YouTube
Quote:
YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:
You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.
You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, ... any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content.

You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Service or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on use of the Service or the Content therein.
In other words, what you're asking amounts to breach of contract at best, and criminal behavior at worst. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to ask for advice on how to break the law on a public forum, and typically, people on C-D shun those that do. I'm surprised that you've received positive responses.

If you want to break the rules, the first thing to consider is whether or not you really want to. If so, you should figure it out for yourself - don't drag anyone else down to that level.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,479,348 times
download real player, it makes downloading youtube videos and converting and burning them real easy.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM

@Swagger Wow. I had no clue about this. Thank you for letting me know. I will stop this immediatly. Thank you again.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM

13,244 posts, read 12,292,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Terms of Service - YouTube

In other words, what you're asking amounts to breach of contract at best, and criminal behavior at worst. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to ask for advice on how to break the law on a public forum, and typically, people on C-D shun those that do. I'm surprised that you've received positive responses.

If you want to break the rules, the first thing to consider is whether or not you really want to. If so, you should figure it out for yourself - don't drag anyone else down to that level.
Not necessarily. I'd also like to know how to change a group of .mp4 files into a DVD with each of the files having an entry in a menu. I have bought two home made DVD recordings of an old TV show not available on commercial DVD, but both have poor quality. I finally found all the episodes, broken down into small parts on YouTube and downloaded them. I would like to play the DVD on the big TV instead of the computer monitor. I'm not opening a kiosk in Manhattan to sell bootleg DVD's.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM

7,373 posts, read 13,484,206 times
use convertx

Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the help. As far as the breach of copyright I had no clue it was an issue since I have seen the same question online everywhere as well as even up here on CD. I'm not looking to sell anything either, just wanted to make a dog video for my mom for Mother's Day since she rescues animals.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,863,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Not necessarily. .
Yes necessarily. The videos on youtube are copyrighted by whoever created them. If the person who has created them hasn't specifically licensed them to be copied then you're breaking the law if you make a copy. If you do not know the terms of how they are licensed you need to assume there is no provision to copy them.

Quote:
I'm not opening a kiosk in Manhattan to sell bootleg DVD's
As far as copyright law is concerned it doesn't matter, you can be sued by the copyright owner in civil court. If you're generating revenue or causing significant monetary damages like freely distributing copyrighted material on a large scale you've moved from the civil realm to the criminal realm.

Having said that the chances of ever ending up in court for ripping some videos from youtube is about none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers