Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not buying from them just because they're BB is ridiculous.
Maybe its because of stuff like this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Eventually suckers will have stocked up on enough $100 HDMI cables.
this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You pay $189 and they don't notice the C drive is out of space??
and the infamous fake web site bait and switch that many people avoid rewarding a shady company with their business whenever possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
"Showrooming" is what destroyed Borders, and I really miss Borders. I bought more books from Borders with their sale coupons than at Barnes & Noble. Barnes & Noble hardly has books sales so I buy from ebay or else just torrent the book pdf.

Engineering and college books are just too expensive nowadays. Like I couldn't afford a $130 PLC book so I got it "from a pdf."
My experience, too. I don't care for B&N but I always used my Borders coupons. Now that they're gone, I mostly get books using the Paperback Book Swap. It only costs a little over $2 to mail one of my old paperbacks and I get one back I haven't read for free. Their "wishlist" feature works great. Trade Used Books for Free with PaperBack Swap (the world's largest book swap)

But back to the topic Best Buy, I agree they are not long for this world. Too much window-shopping, not enough buying from consumers. And given that their sales people aren't particularly knowledgeable about the products, there's little incentive NOT to buy from online sources.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Seems to be headed that way. Just like Sears/KMart!

Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 AM

469 posts, read 913,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
BB is the place people go for showrooming now. They go there to put there hands on products and then they buy them online.

The fact that nobody buys physical music anymore has hurt them, too.
Excellent analogy. I didnt really think about it but thats exactly what I do.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

this,

and the infamous fake web site bait and switch that many people avoid rewarding a shady company with their business whenever possible.
A Best Buy opened here in the old Circuit City building. I finally went in the store once looking for an under counter mount for an small flat panel TV and had a salesman try to sell me a monster mount suitable for a conference room and then looked disappointed when I told him I saw nothing suitable for my needs. Then he suggested some other part that told me he knew nothing about the products in his store.

I don't go there any more.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
So what do you think of Best Buy?
I buy everything from Amazon.com and always pay less than Best Buy.

Cya Best Buy. Enjoy the slow death.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We purchase there. The last thing was a 32" HDTV that BB had at a price even lower than anyone online. The same for a subwoofer we bought few months ago. Not buying from them just because they're BB is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

this,

It's all about the principle of the matter.

But yeah--it's purely showroom by this point. I can't remember the last thing I bought there.

I was walking through one day and saw they offered to setup your new Xbox or PS3 with all the latest updates for $50.

You know, those updates that install automatically before you can get online? Killed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
But back to the topic Best Buy, I agree they are not long for this world. Too much window-shopping, not enough buying from consumers. And given that their sales people aren't particularly knowledgeable about the products, there's little incentive NOT to buy from online sources.
Yeah, this is what drives me batty. I'm in sales too, and I know my product. If you know your product, people trust and believe you. When all you do is look at a box and say "yep, has HDMI 3s on it!" than you won't be selling anything.

So, it's nice to know your product.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Circuit City was where I always went for appliances and stereo equipment; the staff knew what they were selling. I kinda miss that place.

If you don't know what you're looking for, or need any kind of help, Best Buy is not the place to go.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
They do need to revisit their strategy though. Eventually suckers will have stocked up on enough $100 HDMI cables.
That's funny.

I can't believe people actually buy those... I have never paid more than $2 or $3 from Monoprice for my high-speed HDMI cables.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just bought a 55" LCD LED TV. Sams Club was cheaper by almost $200 than online or any other brick & mortar store.
I have a BB and Costco membership. Never said I went to BB instead, only that I buy there when they have the best price.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek
Not buying from them just because they're BB is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Eventually suckers will have stocked up on enough $100 HDMI cables.

this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
You pay $189 and they don't notice the C drive is out of space??

There are stupid people everywhere, not just at BB. Anyone who would buy one of those cables probably pays MSRP for a new car... You pay $189 and don't bother checking the drive, or at least go to an online forum and ask questions? I agree that the Geek Squad is comprised of "techs" that aren't, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I buy everything from Amazon.com and always pay less than Best Buy.

Cya Best Buy. Enjoy the slow death.
I but all the time from Amazon, but if you automatically go there w/o checking prices at other outlets you're missing some good deals, even at BB...

And before anyone asks, no, I am not a fan of BB. But to steer people away from any store where there might be a better price is not fair to those shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers