U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 PM

1,102 posts, read 992,842 times

Advertisements

Hello all you computer guru's.....I am having to update my PC so I can use it to manage a wireless security system, multi page document scanner, photography editing and storage management as well as all of the other daily applications one wants to have with a home pc. Then of course is a laptop or a pc better? Any advice is greatly appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:39 PM

7,375 posts, read 13,093,112 times
I dont know much about photography but isnt the graphic design industry mainly mac based?

Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,173,537 times
OP, you might get better feedback in the photography section... especially if you're interested in learning about what software would be best for your needs. Once you have the software figured out, you can look at which computers might be suitable.

skel1977 - photography and graphics design are not the same.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,472,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I dont know much about photography but isnt the graphic design industry mainly mac based?
If he's in the industry, yes. But PCs run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop just as well as a mac. Just make sure you get a decent processor (I'd go for an i5 or i7) and 8 GB of RAM.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM

1,102 posts, read 992,842 times
Thanks EC. My question should have been...What and what size components in a new pc or lap top should I be looking for that can accomadate the tasks of interfacing with a wireless outdoor and indoor security system, still have enough of what ever it needs to run a current eddition of adope ps and run a multipage doccument scanner that interfaces with current windows os and all the other tasks we use our pcs for today. Games are not a priority but speed is. Thanks again for the input.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,396,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Hello all you computer guru's.....I am having to update my PC so I can use it to manage a wireless security system, multi page document scanner, photography editing and storage management as well as all of the other daily applications one wants to have with a home pc. Then of course is a laptop or a pc better? Any advice is greatly appreciated....
Laptop or desktop makes no difference. For photography (or any graphics work) a mac is better and industry standard (WYSIWYG and all that.) If you're a pro though you'd know that already.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Thanks EC. My question should have been...What and what size components in a new pc or lap top should I be looking for that can accomadate the tasks of interfacing with a wireless outdoor and indoor security system, still have enough of what ever it needs to run a current eddition of adope ps and run a multipage doccument scanner that interfaces with current windows os and all the other tasks we use our pcs for today. Games are not a priority but speed is. Thanks again for the input.
Any macbook pro with enough ram would do that. I'd go for the 15" with matte screen if I were you.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If he's in the industry, yes. But PCs run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop just as well as a mac. Just make sure you get a decent processor (I'd go for an i5 or i7) and 8 GB of RAM.
Pc's do not have particularly accurate colour calibration nor unicode anti aliased font rendering (just two obvious points) Also the adobe suite is horrible on the pc due to its constant full screening (mac is document based rather than application based) and lack of drag and drop. It's usable but ugggh.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,173,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Pc's do not have particularly accurate colour calibration nor unicode anti aliased font rendering (just two obvious points) Also the adobe suite is horrible on the pc due to its constant full screening (mac is document based rather than application based) and lack of drag and drop. It's usable but ugggh.
This is not accurate.

The only thing of truth here is that there is a difference in how fonts are rendered. Macs render fonts just as they would be printed (great for publishing work), while Windows renders fonts for easy screen reading.

The part about the document-based vs application-based is a design pattern. It is intentional. Since the OP is a Windows user, he/she will feel comfortable on the Windows variations of the program.

Anyways, macs aren't worth discussing. OP is a Windows user.

OP, what security system are you using?

I highly recommend the Lenovo W520 w/ an i7 and 8gb of ram. This laptop can hold two hard drives (or one SSD and one hard drive) and can handle up to 32gb of ram (now that ram is cheap).

Lenovo - Laptops - ThinkPad - W Series - W520 (US)

Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is not accurate.

The only thing of truth here is that there is a difference in how fonts are rendered. Macs render fonts just as they would be printed (great for publishing work), while Windows renders fonts for easy screen reading.

The part about the document-based vs application-based is a design pattern. It is intentional. Since the OP is a Windows user, he/she will feel comfortable on the Windows variations of the program.

Anyways, macs aren't worth discussing. OP is a Windows user.

OP, what security system are you using?

I highly recommend the Lenovo W520 w/ an i7 and 8gb of ram. This laptop can hold two hard drives (or one SSD and one hard drive) and can handle up to 32gb of ram (now that ram is cheap).

Lenovo - Laptops - ThinkPad - W Series - W520 (US)
You do realise I work in the design industry? I was a graphic designer, illustrator and part time photographer before I switched to architecture. The reasons I listed are the very reasons why apple is industry standard across the design/artistic professions. The application vs document based OS behaviour is fundamental when multitasking across applications. Windows' application behaviour seriously slows down productivity when working.

If the OP is a photographer then he is using the wrong machine IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers