Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times

Advertisements

It seems that every time I see someone using a laptop on TV commercials or in a movie, it is a MAC laptop. Is Apple flooding the market with their laptops or is it the Invasion of the Laptop Snatchers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
It seems that every time I see someone using a laptop on TV commercials or in a movie, it is a MAC laptop. Is Apple flooding the market with their laptops or is it the Invasion of the Laptop Snatchers?
1) They make nice looking props

2) The people who make TV, movies, commercials, print ads, etc all think anything and everything with an apple logo on it is the greatest thing ever invented.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
What's a Media Access Control laptop?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Apple has an excellent marketing department and they know where to place their products for best exposure.

And now that they have competition it'll only get worse...

Old 07-03-2012, 07:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I see plenty of other laptops in stuff, too.
Saw one the other day with a Windows Logo on the back. Huh? There is no such laptop.

Apple PAYS for that product placement most of the time.

At least the Tom hanks film "You Got Mail" didn't show bias. One had an Apple, and the other a WinTel...

Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Saw one the other day with a Windows Logo on the back. Huh? There is no such laptop.

At least the Tom hanks film "You Got Mail" didn't show bias. One had an Apple, and the other a WinTel...
Hawaii 5-0 is littered with shameless plugs for Microsoft products. And Chevy too now that I think of it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Wasn't that movie biased towards AOL, though? I don't really see what the problem is with most product placements. People in real life use Apples, Google, etc. So what is wrong with seeing them use it on the big screen? Of course, there is a line. Fringe has some clunky ones, for example.

Brandspotters.com

But really what do you expect advertisers/production companies to do? Shows gotta get paid for somehow and I fast forward through the normal commercials.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
"Product placement" in TV and movies is rampant.

The movie Transformers seems like a GM commercial. Apple works very hard to get their computers on TV. Why else do their laptops have a lit up Apple logo on the lid? To advertise.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Also agree it doesn't bother me in movies/tv.
Unless it is blatant.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
This has been going on since 2002/2003 with the first wave of when Apple really began to become popular with non-design/video/audio users. This was also around the time when Apple created its current look, which is highly recognizable. Even if the Apple logo is covered or altered, the computer can still be recognized as a Mac. Also, the brushed steel look of the OS is highly recognizable, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers