Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,956 posts, read 4,897,752 times
Reputation: 1196

Advertisements

After I downloaded the McAfee software, my computer restarts by itself alot when the start up page comes on. The only way that I can go on the internet is through safemode. Do you think I have a virus? How can I fix it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 AM
 
7,372 posts, read 14,745,364 times
Reputation: 7052
so did you uninstall mcafee then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
 
41,813 posts, read 51,368,694 times
Reputation: 17868
99.9% of the time when a computer abruptly stops and restarts it's caused by overheating, in safe mode you're using basic windows features which reduces CPU power and heat.

Have you cleaned it recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 40,606,004 times
Reputation: 7588
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
99.9% of the time when a computer abruptly stops and restarts it's caused by overheating, in safe mode you're using basic windows features which reduces CPU power and heat.

Have you cleaned it recently?
That or a faulty driver, *cough* McAfee.

Hell, I once uninstalled the re-loaded but expired McCrappy trial from a Dell and had it give a BSoD on boot in either normal mode or safe mode with networking. The only solution was to uninstall the network adapters, including removing the driver software, and reinstall them. McCrappy is truly awful software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
16,663 posts, read 19,951,052 times
Reputation: 13477
99.9%?
No way.
99.9% of the time it is a driver issue.
When a PC overheats it will shut down. Period. Not restart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM
 
41,813 posts, read 51,368,694 times
Reputation: 17868
I'm basing that on my experience, only ever saw that happen once because of a driver issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
.
When a PC overheats it will shut down. Period. Not restart.
Yes they will restart when overheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
 
16,292 posts, read 28,687,550 times
Reputation: 8385
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm basing that on my experience, only ever saw that happen once because of a driver issue.



Yes they will restart when overheating.
Every overheat I have seen killed the power. (shutdown indicated an orderly exit), just OFF. Failed fans, dust clogging heatsinks, and even a heatsink clip that broke. Get too hot -----> OFF.

Now lets throw some common sense troubleshooting at the OP problem:

  • What is the last thing that was changed
  • Installed McAfee
  • Let's uninstall McAfee and see what happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,568 posts, read 18,209,708 times
Reputation: 16708
open it up and watch the chip fan - especially with the heat we've had lately. Eh, I was due for a new computer so bought a new computer and a chip fan at the same time. Step-son loves HIS "new" computer - upgraded him to my old dual-core and I got the quad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,488 posts, read 26,021,200 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Every overheat I have seen killed the power. (shutdown indicated an orderly exit), just OFF. Failed fans, dust clogging heatsinks, and even a heatsink clip that broke. Get too hot -----> OFF.

Now lets throw some common sense troubleshooting at the OP problem:

  • What is the last thing that was changed
  • Installed McAfee
  • Let's uninstall McAfee and see what happens
I will confirm the other poster's point. We had a PC doing the restarting itself over and over thing, and the cure was simply to clean the dust out of the case. That's all it took. Seems to confirm that overheating can cause this restart thing. However, in this case, the OP probably should uninstall McCrapee, er I mean, McAfee and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
 
16,292 posts, read 28,687,550 times
Reputation: 8385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I will confirm the other poster's point. We had a PC doing the restarting itself over and over thing, and the cure was simply to clean the dust out of the case. That's all it took. Seems to confirm that overheating can cause this restart thing. However, in this case, the OP probably should uninstall McCrapee, er I mean, McAfee and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
OK, I learned something, never seen it an overtemp reboot. If my computer overheats I would want it to power off, instead of driving the CPU through another boot process, and another, and another ........ and so on. An unattended system could do that how many times before the thermal cycling causes the CPU to fail?

The red flag I see here is everyone jumped on heat problems when the OP clearly states that they just installed something, and now it is broken.

#1 rule of troubleshooting, if you do something, change something, install something, and it breaks it, then there is a high probability that the "something" that was just done is the cause, and the appropriate corrective action is to remove/undo that "something".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top