U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 PM
2K5Gx2km
 
n/a posts

Advertisements

The main problem with my Vista (which I hate because of all these things) is that it hums like a freaking blow dryer even when I am not doing anything except starring at the desktop. It will then just turn off - the screen goes blank - I suspect because it is over heating like a nuclear furnace. This happens almost every time I am watch a video - which also has problems like not syncing with the sound, the sound going out, not being able to get the disc out unlesss I restart the whole thing.

Other problems include icons disappearing and reappearing, freezes-up so that I have to sometimes unplug it and take the battery out to get it to turn off, and plenty of other random little crap that is annoying the ****zu out of me - is this thing possesed or what?

What can I do to check for programs that are running without me knowing it or fixing these little demons - all my anti-everything is ok? Help! - for I am about to throw the thing out the freaking window.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 37,428,906 times
Reputation: 7535
I'd start by blowing the dust out of it. Fans running has nothing to do with Vista.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
45,038 posts, read 64,408,876 times
Reputation: 104379
Is that a laptop or desktop? loud computer? its probably overheating - did you cleaned it lately? Like air blow the fan?
If this is a laptop, you might consider to put it on a cooling pad.

Icons appearing and disappearing - your computer needs a serious maintenance - I mean, run some antivirus/malware programs and see if is infected. Then CCleaner, clean the cookies, registry, history, and other crap that accumulated there. Check how much free space you have in your HD. Go to "add and remove " programs and see if you can remove what you are not using... you know, that kind of things...

To check what is running you can download "What's running" and check what is running at start. Or click on Start button and type: msconfig.
I hope you know what you are doing, if not - ask someone to do it for you.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 PM
2K5Gx2km
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'd start by blowing the dust out of it. Fans running has nothing to do with Vista.
Ha! Ha! meant to say Dell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 02:26 PM
2K5Gx2km
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is that a laptop or desktop? loud computer? its probably overheating - did you cleaned it lately? Like air blow the fan?
If this is a laptop, you might consider to put it on a cooling pad.
Laptop! Fan looked fine when I opened the back - ran like German Ball-Bearings.

Quote:
Icons appearing and disappearing - your computer needs a serious maintenance - I mean, run some antivirus/malware programs and see if is infected. Then CCleaner, clean the cookies, registry, history, and other crap that accumulated there. Check how much free space you have in your HD. Go to "add and remove " programs and see if you can remove what you are not using... you know, that kind of things...
Done all that - all good.

Quote:
To check what is running you can download "What's running" and check what is running at start. Or click on Start button and type: msconfig.
I hope you know what you are doing, if not - ask someone to do it for you.
I'll try the 'What's Running' - Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,940,134 times
Reputation: 3524
Which Dell model do you have?

For starters (and cheap), go to Target or Office Depot and buy a can of compressed air (about $5). Stick the red extender tube that came with the can right up next to the fan (on the side and from the bottom) and let 'er blow. You might be surprised how much dust comes out of there. Whenever my Toshiba laptop starts running hot and the fan comes on more frequently, it just needs a good blow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
45,038 posts, read 64,408,876 times
Reputation: 104379
^^^ well, he said, he did all that.
OP: please read this and see if it helps:
How Can I Quiet a Noisy Computer Fan?
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 03:00 PM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,940,134 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ well, he said, he did all that.
OP: please read this and see if it helps:
How Can I Quiet a Noisy Computer Fan?
Actually he just said he looked at the fan and it looked fine. You can rarely ever tell if your fan needs to be blown out just by looking at it. Let me put it this way: if you cannot remember the last time you blew out your fan, it's a good time to do it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,334,809 times
Reputation: 7660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Actually he just said he looked at the fan and it looked fine. You can rarely ever tell if your fan needs to be blown out just by looking at it. Let me put it this way: if you cannot remember the last time you blew out your fan, it's a good time to do it.
You gotta be kidding me....

You can't tell if a fan is clogged with debris by looking at it?

Maybe you need glasses...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 03:13 PM
 
15,921 posts, read 18,334,809 times
Reputation: 7660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
The main problem with my Vista (which I hate because of all these things) is that it hums like a freaking blow dryer even when I am not doing anything except starring at the desktop. It will then just turn off - the screen goes blank - I suspect because it is over heating like a nuclear furnace. This happens almost every time I am watch a video - which also has problems like not syncing with the sound, the sound going out, not being able to get the disc out unlesss I restart the whole thing.

Other problems include icons disappearing and reappearing, freezes-up so that I have to sometimes unplug it and take the battery out to get it to turn off, and plenty of other random little crap that is annoying the ****zu out of me - is this thing possesed or what?

What can I do to check for programs that are running without me knowing it or fixing these little demons - all my anti-everything is ok? Help! - for I am about to throw the thing out the freaking window.
Don't know what model Dell you have but check this program out....

Quote:
8kfanGUI is a graphical Windows application to show the internal temperatures and to control the fan operation on the Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Precision notebook series. It's running under Windows 2000 and above operating system versions (Windows 2000/XP/Server2003/Vista). For the original DOS command line utility look here.
Dell Inspiron Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control

Another one:

Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

I like to gather FACTS before making suggestions....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top