Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times

Advertisements

Well, my 6 year old Dell is finally getting slower and slower. I'm at the point where I'd like to replace it. I went to a local Apple store and was very impressed with the imacs (less impressed with the 20-something clerks......as I was the oldest customer in the store and there was a certain "attitude" coming through. I can probably get past that, however.) I've used Dell's for 20 years and before that, the old mac desktops since the early 80's. I've started research into a mid range desktop Dell and the imac, and the prices for macs are a lot higher. I'm also concerned about new operating systems coming out in the fall. I don't want to be a guinea pig for Windows OS 8, nor do I want the first new mac OS (if a new one coming out in the fall). I would not want to buy a system at the tail end of an old OS either. Should I wait another 6 months?

--Is there a "best" time of year to buy a new computer?
--Does anyone know for sure about the new PC and mac OS coming out in 2012?
--I'm tired of all the hassles with anti-virus and security software on PCs. Do macs need security software?
--I invested big bucks in photoshop CS2 for the PC in 2003 (not doing that again), but would not be able to use it on a new mac. I could use it on a new PC.
--My Webroot subscription is up at the end of June, and I'm not renewing in light of an impending purchase of a new computer. What free AV does anyone recommend? My PC doesn't have much memory and is slowing down, so low CPU would be nice. I tried Avast a while back and it really bogged down my computer so I ditched it.

I'm at the start of this process, but it gets more and more complicated to purchase a new computer these days, it seems.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Mountain Lion (next version of OS X) will be coming out in July. Windows 8 will be coming out presumably in the fall sometime (the upgrade program started this month and ends in February 2013).

I wouldn't be too hesitant to run either. Apple's OS X releases are generally smaller and less radical than Microsoft's, but both have a very stable foundation so I wouldn't expect too many issues. Also, Apple has moved to a more rapid release schedule, so you'll always be either getting a new OS or getting one that's quickly going to upstaged by a new version. IME, Microsoft usually has more issues because they don't have the luxury of controlling the hardware, but even that is less of an issue now than it was when Vista was released and manufacturers were selling computers as being Vista capable when they really weren't (lack of drivers, lack of CPU/RAM).

I wouldn't buy a desktop mac right now. They haven't been updated with USB 3 and probably won't be until next year. Apple clearly doesn't think the desktop segment is worth investing too much in (and they're right - laptop sales continue to skyrocket while desktops remain flat).

Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
I wouldn't buy any programs at all. CCleaner, MSE, Defraggler, KeyScrambler, Malwarebyte,s Antimalware -- that's all I need. Save your money and just update those programs now and then.

I'd check the temperature to see if it is getting too hot. I also have another program called "Speccy". I'm sure there are other similar programs that do the same things, telling you what programs you have, what hardware you have, what the temps are, and so forth. Might have to clean the innards with a little air.

Another thing, you might have to reset the router, too, and do so periodically.

If you have room for Ram, you might check into that.

Another thing, do you have a ton of icons? That can be a drag.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Holiday season after the new OS' have been released seems like the ideal time to buy.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
I would not use CS2 not even on a PC. CS is already up there on #6 (CS6), and costs a whole bunch more than previous CS's. Just upgrading from CS5 to CS6 costs $199.00

Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 PM

310 posts, read 1,025,136 times
You pay more for Mac's to simply have the "Apple experience", and if that is worth it to you, then you should buy a Mac, as they seem easier to use than PC's and are more resilient to computer viruses (although I believe that this is about to begin shifting soon).

Keep in mind, that Apple has locked their Mac's down tight. That is why I will never buy a Mac, as the hardware and software is completely inaccessible to the regular user. But, you get good customer support and a quality product, albeit at a very expensive price. You really aren't getting that much more for your money with a Mac, you are mostly paying for "image". Ask any branding expert. This is true.

PC's are cheaper. I have always used free anti-virus for years now, and have never had any sort of infection. I believe windows computers are actually safer from Rootkits, as windows has something called Kernel Patch Protection. The kernal on both Mac and Linux is a bit more vulnerable, although that remains to be seen.

Overall, I would say that you should stick with Windows/PC. I've owned only Dell's all my life and they have been very reliable. I use Excel to the max, and there is certain things that Mac's cannot do with excel that PC's can.

Look at Dell's small business line of desktops, as to my knowledge you get support from people here in the USA, and the products are built to a higher standard.

All you need for protection is Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE), Malwarebytes, and the other programs mentioned by Brian above.

If you have a big budget, and are into more artistic pursuits, then you might jut be better off with a Mac, as it does those things beautifully, but for the average person, PC's are better.
Also, you may want to wait until July/August to purchase a computer as there are usually big discounts to try and encourage students to buy new computers for the school year. You may be able to capitalize on that.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
I bought a MacBook in 2008 after 25 years of using PCs and I am absolutely delighted with it. It is easy and intuitive to use and the operating system is very stable (I started with Leopard, then Snow Leopard and now Lion). I upgraded the memory to 8Gb myself and at a very reasonable cost. I have never had need of an anti-virus type program or any problems in that area. I am also able to run MS Office as well as other common applications on it.

All that said, there are areas where a PC is going to be better for you and that will depend on what you want to use the PC for. You have much more ability to customize a PC with video cards, etc. and many business programs do not work as well on a Mac. For example, my wife needs to do CPE for her CPA license and some online courses do not work well on a Mac.

I have no regrets in switching to Mac but would recommend that you define what you need from a PC first and then look for the best fit.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 06-18-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Ok the bottom line is this, if you really want a mac you wont be happy with a pc.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, I don't think I'll say anything controversial. But my experience is from someone who uses both on a daily basis.

First question: Are you using any highly specific software? If all you're using is the Microsoft Office suite, then it doesn't matter which OS you use.

Second question: Are you someone who doesn't mind maintaining your computer? Or do you just want the thing to turn on and run?

I have both, and my preference is my Mac. It has become my go-to machine. Mind you, my HP isn't terrible, and I haven't had a host of viruses over the years (Good rule of thumb: Don't download anything you don't trust). But one thing I've noticed since buying a Mac is actually a better value over the long haul in terms of lower operating costs.

I charge $120 an hour for my time, and every minute I spend monkeying with my computer costs me money. With my HP, I typically spend 30-45 minutes a month upgrading, scanning for viruses, and doing other things that simply don't crop up on my Mac. What's more, I travel a LOT, and the things that are simplicity itself on a Mac such as accessing a new WiFi network just don't go seamlessly for my HP. In that sense, the productivity costs of an HP is the death of a thousand cuts. I spend way more billable time dinking with my HP in a couple of months than I've spent in the three years of owning my laptop. Add it up and the Mac has proved to be more cost-effective.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Keep in mind, that Apple has locked their Mac's down tight. That is why I will never buy a Mac, as the hardware and software is completely inaccessible to the regular user.
Eh, depends on the system for the hardware. The Macbook Pro (minus the new retina one) is just as upgradeable as most PC laptops. The Mac Pro is just a tower with standard expansion slots. The iMac, Mini, Macbook Air, and MBP Retina are indeed pretty tough to work on (would it really have killed Apple to put a panel on the back of the iMac so that one didn't need to remove that giant piece of glass?!) and filled with non-upgradeable parts.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about with the software being locked down and completely inaccessible. It's certainly not Linux/*BSD/etc, but it's much more open than Windows. It's just a standard Unix that happens to have GUI that doesn't suck. Much of the underpinnings are just open source projects that one is free to download from Apple (and Apple routinely contributes back to those projects). Users are free to tinker all they want (there are even neat little preference panes to make some common changes easy for people who don't want to deal with the command line) and install whatever they want.

As for cost, I've not found Apple's products to be much more expensive than comparable PC offerings. The thing is, Apple doesn't compete in every segment. They don't care about the low end. They don't care about flimsy plastic disposable laptops. They don't care about consumer towers. Where they do choose to compete, however, their products are generally about on par with PCs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.