Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 01:58 PM

3,555 posts, read 6,573,158 times

Advertisements

(1) When using the Inbox, when you look at a thread with more than one email, it will display the most recent message in full, but the others will only display the header. In order to view one of those older ones in full, you have to click on the header.

This is fine, but it's not obvious to the user that you're supposed to click on the header (which has the sender's name and the first part of the message body). The header line should have a labelled link like "show more" or "display entire message". Instead, the users might not know how to see all of the older messages. Also, once you have opened an older message in full, you have to click on the header to show less, and that also is not really labelled.

(2) On the main screen, to view/edit your contacts, you have to click on "Gmail" or the drop down arrow right next to it, and then select Contacts. Again, this works okay, but it's not obvious to the user. "Contacts" should be on of the options on the left column. From what I've read, it was like that before.

These things might be obvious to us, but to more basic users, old people etc., those things should be designed this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,060,762 times
Why are you telling us? Give feedback to Google, they are the ones that designed it that way.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,226,201 times
What do you mean by "basic user"? Do you mean beginners? After the first or second time, people will catch on.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,226,201 times
OP, I thought your post was a great one and this is an excellent topic. I was honestly hoping for more discussion to take place.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 PM

3,555 posts, read 6,573,158 times
You can change the threading by going to Settings and turning off conversation mode. I've never done it myself.
However, most users won't even know that. I still think things should be labelled more.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,510,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
OP, I thought your post was a great one and this is an excellent topic. I was honestly hoping for more discussion to take place.
This aficionado took quite a while to find out where "Contacts" was hiding. I was expecting it to be in the top menu (with +, Mail, Calendar, etc). I only found it accidentally when I ended up doing a Google search (!) for Google Contacts and while editing my contacts, noticing that it said "Contacts" where it normally says "Gmail."

I would say it's pretty counter intuitive. All of Google's other products are on that top menu except the phonebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers