Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,526,923 times

Advertisements

Yes that is the problem. I can't even get to windows update screen to even request SP3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,491,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Yes that is the problem. I can't even get to windows update screen to even request SP3.
Use another computer to download the full installer for SP3 and copy it to the computer in question. The file you're looking should be about 324 MB. You may need to first install SP2. I can't remember. If you do, that file is about 272 MB.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 AM

188 posts, read 279,337 times
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3223...nin1.0#method2

Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
If it's a computer you're going to keep for a while make a set of restore disks after you do the updates.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Download SP3 from here and install it, ignore the part about it being for professionals:

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers from Official Microsoft Download Center

If the computer came with anti virus remove it or update it. You can install MS security essentials for free from here:

Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Download and install IE8:

Download Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP from Official Microsoft Download Center

After that from the start menu click the Windows Update link.

Edit: Be sure to go back to the update after installing updates becsue more are going to appear after you install. You can just keep hitting the express button. Once you get all the critical updates click the custom button and you can view optional updates.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-17-2012 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Just to add if I was you I would dowload the SP3 update, burn it to a disk and then run the restore again. Install the SP3 update before you conect to the internet after restoring. The reason I say this is becsue SP1 is very vulnerable to a lot of stuff, simply being connected to the internet can get you infected. I know this becsue it happened to me after a full renstall, I wan't conencted for more than a few minutes getting updates.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM

633 posts, read 725,060 times
i dunno why people still use IE browser. it seems that was the root of the problem. happened to me too. everytime i always switch to firefox. the problem went away.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
i dunno why people still use IE browser. it seems that was the root of the problem. happened to me too. everytime i always switch to firefox. the problem went away.
You need IE to update from the web with XP, you may even need IE8 specifically. You could let the updates run in the background through automatic updates after installing SP3. I just reinstalled a sytem that came with IE6, about the only page MS would let you see is the IE8 download page and that's a good thing.

Having said that whether you're going to use it or not you should keep it up to date.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 PM

633 posts, read 725,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need IE to update from the web with XP, you may even need IE8 specifically. You could let the updates run in the background through automatic updates after installing SP3. I just reinstalled a sytem that came with IE6, about the only page MS would let you see is the IE8 download page and that's a good thing.

Having said that whether you're going to use it or not you should keep it up to date.
strange. i actually manually and intentionally stop those auto updates. or maybe coz i use firefox so those pesky auto updates notifications stopped.

i stopped auto updates because seriously i think that's the one bringing problems/stalling/infecting my PC.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,491,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
strange. i actually manually and intentionally stop those auto updates. or maybe coz i use firefox so those pesky auto updates notifications stopped.

i stopped auto updates because seriously i think that's the one bringing problems/stalling/infecting my PC.
Windows automatic updates are not infecting your computer.

Not keeping your software up to date allows malware more opportunities to exploit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers