Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,170,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't know what Microsoft's expectations are, but Windows 8 is kind of surprising to me. I didn't think many people would upgrade from Windows 7 given how solid Windows 7 is. Windows 8 doesn't have much to offer immediately.

Yet, Windows 8 is outsold Windows 7 in their first months respectively. Given that Windows 7 was an upgrade from an OS that many did not like, I consider that quite impressive.
I'm pretty sure that the $15 and $40 upgrade offers had a lot to do with it. Sell it at the standard $99 and the sales will suddenly dry up. Too bad that there isn't a measure of how many people regretted the upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,589,652 times
Correct me if I am wrong, but is another factor that makes Microsoft's claims seem inflated is due to the fact that they are measuring licenses sold and not use? For example, let's say 100 licenses are sold for computers at a Microcenter store. However, only 20 new laptops or PCs are actually sold to the public or business sector that have Windows 8. Microsoft could say they sold 100 copies of Windows 8, while 80 of those licenses are sitting in the store unused. Hence, such figures do not really tell you much. Is that how it goes?

Is there someway to measure the success of Windows 8 using any other figures? Are there at least estimates into how many members of the public actually operates a Windows 8 system in their home, let's say? Wouldn't there be at least estimates on how many owned computers installed Windows 8 into their systems for the business world? I have no idea.

When I studied statistics in grad course, we were constantly reminded how statistical conclusions can be biased by what and how something is being measured. One can easily twist the data around, by adjusting their approach, to better fit their argument. Hence, do we have other options to measure how well Windows 8 is doing overall?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
LA Times

Much more balanced article...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,385,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but is another factor that makes Microsoft's claims seem inflated is due to the fact that they are measuring licenses sold and not use? For example, let's say 100 licenses are sold for computers at a Microcenter store. However, only 20 new laptops or PCs are actually sold to the public or business sector that have Windows 8. Microsoft could say they sold 100 copies of Windows 8, while 80 of those licenses are sitting in the store unused. Hence, such figures do not really tell you much. Is that how it goes?

Is there someway to measure the success of Windows 8 using any other figures? Are there at least estimates into how many members of the public actually operates a Windows 8 system in their home, let's say? Wouldn't there be at least estimates on how many owned computers installed Windows 8 into their systems for the business world? I have no idea.

When I studied statistics in grad course, we were constantly reminded how statistical conclusions can be biased by what and how something is being measured. One can easily twist the data around, by adjusting their approach, to better fit their argument. Hence, do we have other options to measure how well Windows 8 is doing overall?
When someone buys a corporate desktop from Dell or HP today, it comes with Windows 8 Pro, but the buyer can elect to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I believe they still count that as a Win8 sale even though the user specifically said "Do not want" to Win8.

I think web usage statistics are a better measure of real world usage of an OS.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
When someone buys a corporate desktop from Dell or HP today, it comes with Windows 8 Pro, but the buyer can elect to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I believe they still count that as a Win8 sale even though the user specifically said "Do not want" to Win8.

I think web usage statistics are a better measure of real world usage of an OS.
Good point! I will look around the interest for such statistics or at least estimates. I have no idea what I will be able to find. However, if anyone finds any reliable data in the meantime, I encourage them to post it!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,974,791 times
it will be like Apple. upgrades every year at about thirty dollars/per.
If MS was really smart they would launch only one version of the OS

Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,354,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Don't like Windows 8? Stick around til next years release.....

Windows Blue: Microsoft's Plan To Release a New Version of Windows Every Year - Slashdot
Sounds like business has been slow for them, too...

Peace.
brian

Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM

This news article in CNET sums it up fairly well.

Windows 8 slower out of gate than Windows 7, says report | Microsoft - CNET News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers