U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 AM

5,895 posts, read 9,314,438 times

Advertisements

My employer upgraded all their copiers and now has a couple they are trying to dispose of. One in particular was in the Presidents office and only three people used it over its lifetime. As far as I know it still works fine.

I asked the VP about the copier and he indicated that for 150.00 it was mine. I checked the toner costs and it is only 20 dollars for new toner.

I haven't looked up the cost of new units yet (I do not have the model number because I was just talking on the way out Friday with the VP). I mentioned E-bay and the V.P. said there was one similar listed for 800 dollars but he did not want to mess with shipping the unit to an e-bay buyer.

I don't know anything about copier lifecycles- I am sure these units are over five years old. Both of my cheap old printers are shot. 1) My laser printer is out of toner and it will cost 50 dollars for new toner. The quality of the prints is poor due to the laser drum being scratched. 2) My other "all in one" unit is marginal- again, I need to replace the toner which will cost 70 dollars. It is an ink jet and the toner keeps drying up since I don't use it all that often. It is also a very cheap unit and the functionality is poor on the scanning/faxing.

I have been wanting a quality printer that is easy to use for a while. The used unit I am considering looks brand new condition wise. It has three toners that will come with it.

Is this something you would consider? I am sick of these cheap printers you buy at the office supply places- I have never had good luck with them. I figure this might be a good alternative to buying a new printer of higher quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM

28,673 posts, read 40,851,780 times
Contact the company that services the machine and ask them about it. If you're lucky the same person has serviced it over the years it and knows it's history regarding repairs, etc. Maybe even page count.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,906,678 times
For a while I had a commercial quality lexmark color laser. Eventually it had a failure that couldn't be corrected without big bucks. Other than being big and heavy, it was an excellent printer. The take-away from that is that if you have to pay more than double for that grade printer, you are locking yourself into current technology and it may not be a great deal. OTOH, if you are getting the printer and extra toner carts for that price, it sounds like a decent deal at about the right price.

I find it kinda interesting that the difference between retail pricing and the pricing for a similar item used can often be 1/3 cost for the used one. People currently don't seem to trust used anything.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 PM

28,673 posts, read 40,851,780 times
When it does eventually die getting rid of it might be problematic. I don't think Best Buy or others that take recyclables for free will take items that big.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM

15,222 posts, read 18,576,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't think Best Buy or others that take recyclables for free will take items that big.
I'll bet they will.

They almost definitely sell that stuff by the pound, so they'd have no reason not to take it.

I've brought in carts full of stuff (in one visit) - including a first generation color laser, which I'm sure you know isn't a small/light item. They took it with a smile - leaky toner and all.

We picked up a Sharp copier from a church that was giving it away before remodeling. It's about 10 years old, and needed some minor servicing, but for about $275 (including a $100 donation to the church that we made after loading it in the truck), we have a machine that prints, copies, faxes and scans, with a per-page printing cost that's less than 1/3 of our last printer. I don't remember what the page count is exactly, but IIRC, it's somewhere between 750k and 1M, and it's still going strong. The only thing wrong with it is that the paper jams if you try to print to any of the mail bins, which doesn't matter in our environment as we have no use for them.

Sounds to me like a pretty good deal for the OP, if he has the space for it. If it were me, I'd jump on it.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 AM

11,968 posts, read 14,100,393 times
I don't know how we can help without the EXACT model number.
There are certainly some Ricoh's to avoid...

Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't know how we can help without the EXACT model number.
There are certainly some Ricoh's to avoid...
It is a Ricoh Aficio MP161. I looked up it's "New" value and it is a 1200 dollar machine.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM

I finally got the machine set up, it was a pain. It has 25,000 copies through it according to the page counter. I did some research and I should expect at least 50,000 copies out of the machine. IF (and only if) I get the expected number of copies it would work out to .006 cents a copy plus toner/paper costs. My previous copier (Samsung 315w laser printer) cost me 110 dollars and only produced under 1000 pages before the drum started going bad. (black lines).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or