Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 AM

89 posts, read 409,849 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have already done a lot of research on this, but I'm still confused. I thought I would open a thread explaining my "situation" and see what my options are. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, I just want to be able to play the new games like Far Cry 3, COD MW3, FIFA 13 and a couple others with ease and no lag, with good graphics. I don't even know if I need a desktop dedicated to gaming, or if there's a "everyday use" desktop where I can just upgrade the graphics card in order to play these games.

My budget is no more than $600, and that's really pushing it, and have found some nice looking machines on the Fry's website Fry's Electronics | (the first 7 being within my budget). I have also found different "lists" online with components to build your own, for let's say under $400, but because I don't know how to build a computer myself I would have to pay extra to have someone build it for me, or take it to Fry's-think they charge $100, plus buy the operating system seperately, that's another $100 or so.

What's the best way to go about it? Are the "cheaper" gaming pcs good enough for what I need (if so, which would you recommend from the link above), should I pay someone to build the pc for me-and will it be worth it cost-wise, or is there a regular PC I can get and just upgrade the graphics card (if so which desktop & card would you recommend to play the games mentioned above-I can install the graphics card myself).

I will really appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Honestly, I'd just build a dedicated Gaming PC. Once you start playing on PC, theres a good chance you'll get more into it. Also, for your everyday needs, you'll have a good PC to get you through a good amount of time before it needs a upgrade again.

I highly recommend you build it yourself too. That way you know exactly whats going in there. $600 might be a little tight though considering a decent monitor is around $200 alone.

If you do buy a pre-packaged deal, I highly recommend Asus stuff for gaming. But most should do.

You'll want AT LEAST;

For Intel CPU, i5 but preferably i7.
For AMD CPU, AM3 but preferably AM3+.

4GB of RAM.

1TB Harddrive.

Nvidia graphics card.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas-gr View Post
My budget is no more than $600, and that's really pushing it, and have found some nice looking machines on the Fry's website Fry's Electronics | (the first 7 being within my budget). I have also found different "lists" online with components to build your own, for let's say under $400, but because I don't know how to build a computer myself I would have to pay extra to have someone build it for me, or take it to Fry's-think they charge $100, plus buy the operating system seperately, that's another $100 or so.
Of those 7 i'd get this one;

http://www.frys.com/product/7373844;...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thats not a bad deal and probably as good as you'll get with your budget.
Just remember that it doesn't include a monitor.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
And if you want no lag that means >15 Mb/s on your Internet connection....

OP, you should really take a look at this magazine.....

http://www.maximumpc.com/

Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
You'll want AT LEAST;

For Intel CPU, i5 but preferably i7.
Hogwash, you don't need the latest and greatest. My gaming rig is 4 years old and using a Core2 Duo 3Ghz, 8GB Ram, and an Nvidia GTX460, and has no problems at all with MW3, Crysis, and other "high end" games.

Fifa 13 has a minimum CPU requirement of a 1.8 Core2 Duo, a machine of my spec would play it with no problem at all.

The OP could build a decent system for $600 using a similar CPU, or maybe a quad.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Hogwash, you don't need the latest and greatest. My gaming rig is 4 years old and using a Core2 Duo 3Ghz, 8GB Ram, and an Nvidia GTX460, and has no problems at all with MW3, Crysis, and other "high end" games.

Fifa 13 has a minimum CPU requirement of a 1.8 Core2 Duo, a machine of my spec would play it with no problem at all.

The OP could build a decent system for $600 using a similar CPU, or maybe a quad.
Agree with Dave $1,000%
I just built my wife a NICE system with 2, count 'em 2, 22" monitors for $580 after mail-n rebate of around $60. The only thing I would need to make it gaming capable is a better video card. The current cheapie in there now COULD play most games at mediocre levels. But scratch one monitor that I paid $125 for and there's your video card.

/EDIT/ Forgot I did NOT have to buy Windows. Had a legit Vista Ultimate doing nothing.
But still. CLOSE to $600 can certainly build a quality gaming rig.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:

Having gamed on a similar setup until a couple of months ago, you'd be amazed what a modern processor / board will do for you. I'm still running the GTX 460, but an Ivy Bridge / Z77 setup makes a massive difference in how those games play (especially BF3).

That being said, you can certainly game on less than the highest end hardware, and one or two generation old video cards are still pretty much fine for all but the newest games on the highest settings. My GTX 460 can't push a number of games past medium settings, most notably Sleeping Dogs. BF3 and Crysis 2 run nice but can't be pushed to the very highest settings.

You certainly don't need to waste any money on an i7 over an i5. The Sandy and Ivy Bridge i5 chips generally match the i7 chips in gaming comparisons. Desktop Ivy Bridge. Intel Core i7-3770K and Core i5-3570K Processors Review - X-bit labs

Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I've been looking into gaming PCs as well and have been stumped about what to get. The problem is IMO that you don't really know for sure how good it will be until you actually get it and buy games. At least with a TV you can go down to the store and sort of see how the display looks.

You may want to do more research about this CyberPower company. I'm not going to say anything for fear of running afoul of the TOS but look at their Better Business Bureau report and Amazon reviews.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:

True.

But I would want something that is fairly future proof. A socket that will support current CPUs and that will be supported for at least another year. That way if your CPU craps out or you want more juice, you're not limited to used stuff on ebay.

I built my last system back in 2001 and it got me through until this year.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I would absolutely advise AGAINST paying anyone to put together your components for you. Don't do it!!

Please trust me, I taught myself how to do this, I don't have any kind of a degree in it, I'm not even a hardcore computer geek...I just know how to be patient and read the instructions. When in doubt, RTFM (read the f***ing manual.) The hardest part, by FAR, was choosing my components. When I got them, I thought putting them together would be tricky and I was at risk of messing the whole thing up, and I was wrong. It was so simple it was nearly anticlimactic and I had it running, installing the OS, in less than 2 hours (would have been faster but I was taking it slow and careful.)

Besides, when you build your own, it just makes you feel super awesome.

Also, don't buy a "kit"...do your research so you know WHY this part works with that one. I like Newegg, you can learn so much from reading reviews, and they often bundle together parts I'd decided to buy anyways, for savings...

I will never buy a pre-built computer, ever again.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers