Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,645,668 times

Advertisements

I remember Word Perfect helped me learn to write by eliminating all the constraints of a typewriter. Allowing back space erase and typing over was a revelation.

I still remember the general curse. C:\ del C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:17 PM

23,562 posts, read 70,130,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
cd programs
cd where is my program
cd where_is_my_program
dir
dir /p
attrib damn_file_id _protected -h-r
run damn_file_id _protected
dir damn*.*
attrib damn_file_is _protected -h-r
run damn_file_is _protected

Yeah. Soooo much simpler

Tried to rep you. Funny.

The key word is obfuscation. In the old days, there was obfuscation because of cryptic commands. Today the obfuscation is intentional and the operating systems seem to come with their own resident TSA agent wanting to poke your butt if you try to go anywhere other than the tiny user space now allowed.

The sweet spot for really playing with computers may have been around 2000 to 2002, where you could still do direct interfacing with peripherals and such. That is now Arduino territory.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,202,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I remember Word Perfect helped me learn to write by eliminating all the constraints of a typewriter. Allowing back space erase and typing over was a revelation.

I still remember the general curse. C:\ del C
response system: Are you sure you want to do this?

you: yes

system: Are you sure you want to do this?

you: yes

system: deletion initiated

system: blink blink blink....

I still use Word Perfect, can't stand word. And back space is wonderful. I still *try* to do first drafts and save them though.

I liked direct system commands. I'd still use them to manage files if I could.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM

22,622 posts, read 24,472,602 times
Yes, computer are evolving as we speak......soon to become self aware.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good intermediate level book on C programming(with C99 standard included)??? I finished the C for Dummies and still feel like a total TARD..... but I learned a lot. I am reading C In A Nutshell......yikes, I think this is a little over my head. Any suggestions if you know of a good book that is user friendly and not geared towards a complete beginner..............THANKS.......MWAH!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM

715 posts, read 1,146,515 times
Every C programmer I've known for the last 25 years used this book to start with: "The C Programming Language" , by Kernighan and Ritchie, from where, I believe, the "Hello World" programming tradition originated.

"C is not a big language, and it is not well served by a big book."

There were also a couple of "Programming Pearls" books that I found useful like ....
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/

After these, save your money. Install Linux and get all the free software tools you'll ever need to learn C progamming. And go to sites like: Introduction to C - Cprogramming.com

For the most part, you can find .pdf versions of most of the books you'll ever need to get started.

If you still prefer books, here's a nice list: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/05/classic-unix-books/

Almost forgot one of my favorite sites. This one has several links: http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

Above all, Code, code, code .... that's the best way to learn. Good luck!

Last edited by fastninja500; 12-13-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,644,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Above all, Code, code, code .... that's the best way to learn.
This.

The fastest way to grasp a concept is to use it. Find something, even some trivial task, that requires writing code, and get to it.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,459,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
cd programs
cd where is my program
cd where_is_my_program
dir
dir /p
attrib damn_file_id _protected -h-r
run damn_file_id _protected
dir damn*.*
attrib damn_file_is _protected -h-r
run damn_file_is _protected

Yeah. Soooo much simpler
As someone who works on Unix daily...this to me is pretty simple

$> pwd
$> /users/home
$> cd /etc
$> vi hosts

##
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

:wq!
$> touch edit.txt
$> chmod 777 edit.txt
$> ls -l
-rwxrwxrwx 1 test staff 0 Dec 13 15:38 edit.txt

Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,459,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea because who wants graphics like this:

When you can have this:

I know you are not comparing PONG to Assassin's Creed III?

Pong was by far more Epic.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM

8,266 posts, read 13,364,641 times
Every new PC related technology, being very new for its time, is naturally (and perhaps equally) overwhelming. So, certain older technologies may seem simpler and/or easier now but back in the year they first came out, they were equally challenging for most everyone.

Also, things are not anymore complicated nowadays, you just have way more options due to needs and demands. Procrastination due to all available choices, is the only real complication if anything.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,152,718 times
I remember the first time I CGA graphics, I was bowled over on how great they looked....

There used to be a game I played in Unix back then was ASCII, you went from hidden room to hidden room..

And then came EGA and Leisure Suit Larry........WOW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers