Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times

Advertisements

I'm picking up a wifi connection on my desktop PC. Anyone know...is there a usb device to plug in to the PC to provide a signal to my Ipad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Why can't the ipad just pick up the same wifi signal as the PC? Anyway....You could install a second wifi adapter in the PC and use Windows built-in Internet connection sharing to share the Internet connection from the first network adapter to the second.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
I don't know if this will work for the OP since I don't have any need to connect the way he wants (seems like too much trouble):
Connect through WiFi to your PC | Beatsurfing

Create an Instant Wireless Hotspot Using Your Connected Windows XP Notebook

Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 AM

I'm using an external antenna to pick up the signal via wireless from a couple hundred feet away. I tried to use an extender/repeater...but that didn't boost it strong enough.

I've played around a bit setting up the internet sharing, but the Ipad doesn't seem to be able to connect. Not sure why...still looking at it. I figured if I was able to find a device to plug in, I'd consider that.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm using an external antenna to pick up the signal via wireless from a couple hundred feet away. I tried to use an extender/repeater...but that didn't boost it strong enough.

I've played around a bit setting up the internet sharing, but the Ipad doesn't seem to be able to connect. Not sure why...still looking at it. I figured if I was able to find a device to plug in, I'd consider that.
Do you actually have two wireless adapters in your PC? If not, no amount of messing with internet sharing settings is going to do anything.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM

354 posts, read 516,528 times
OP gotcha. built in wifi on ipad is not picking free wifis near you? use this:

that gave me free wifi too in my apartment. or if u want u can build your own:

Old 12-16-2012, 05:49 PM

3,455 posts, read 4,782,342 times
You can buy a repeater bridge that has an external antenna connection or you can use an old router and turn it into one. A good router for this would be a Linksys WRT54G and install either DD-WRT or Tomato software. Once you have the software installed on it, set it up as a repeater bridge. You then connect to this repeater just as if it were a regular wireless router.

Another idea that just came to me is: It sounds like you may be using a usb wireless adapter that has an external antenna connection on it. If so, and your computer also has an internal wifi adapter; then you actually have two wifi adapters so you could use the one with the antenna connection to pick up the signal and set the internal one up to repeat that signal for connecting the iPad.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You can buy a repeater bridge that has an external antenna connection or you can use an old router and turn it into one. A good router for this would be a Linksys WRT54G and install either DD-WRT or Tomato software. Once you have the software installed on it, set it up as a repeater bridge. You then connect to this repeater just as if it were a regular wireless router.
I've got an old one of those sitting around, actually. I've got a dsl connection in the house. The signal isn't strong enough to pick up a couple hundred feet away so I have this:
Amazon.com: Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi network Adapter with 5dBi Antenna and Suction cup Window Mount dock - for Wardriving & Range Extension: Computers & Accessories

It works great. I just want to pick up a signal for my ipad and possibly my phone. I've messed around with the internet sharing on Win 7 and the internal wifi adapter...but haven't gotten it to work correctly. My thought was that if there was a device to plug in to facilitate it, I'd do that.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM

I figured it out! Perfect solution. As I said...I was getting my wifi through a usb connected external card with an antenna. That meant that I had an available wireless adapter in my PC. I downloaded this app:

The Internet, Faster - Connectify Hotspot and Dispatch

It did the trick. I now have a hotspot set up from my PC and a wireless connection to my ipad.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 PM

13,520 posts, read 21,994,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
OP gotcha. built in wifi on ipad is not picking free wifis near you? use this:

that gave me free wifi too in my apartment. or if u want u can build your own:

So I can't make spaghetti and be connected at the same time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers