Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times

Advertisements

[Moderator: I don't know which of the Tech forums this is most appropriate for].

So rumors are that Apple is working on watch device that would be a mini-computer or smartphone? (google "iwatch", it's all over the web.

This is fascinating on many levels. First, I observed regarding the google glass testing that this is an indication that we're becoming the cyborgs of sci-fi movies. We're not that far off from minority report, already phones are already like computers, and they go with us everywhere.

For Apple and the future of computing, this is interesting. Is the intent here to cannibalize other technologies as some sites are speculating? This "iwatch" idea of theirs can either be when they finally jump the shark, or it might be a smash like the iPod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I've been predicting for 20 years that there would be a wrist mounted computer. It originates with the comic strip Dick Tracy. The fedora he wears is his antenna/power source. Everything is wifi.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Major problem here with the leap from a watch-size computer and turning into a cyborg. Perhaps this will help:

cy·borg

/ˈsībôrg/
Noun
A fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities become superhuman by mechanical elements built into the body.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Major problem here with the leap from a watch-size computer and turning into a cyborg. Perhaps this will help:

cy·borg

/ˈsībôrg/
Noun
A fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities become superhuman by mechanical elements built into the body.
Exactly.

And we're on our way to that. Part of it is from one's sense of identity.

If you look at the google glass, that's not that far away from contact lenses, and from there you're talking about actual implants.

We're clearly on the path. Nothing inherently wrong with that mind you. Evolution is evolution. Whether social, technological, biological, etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
I had one of these back in the 80's, god I was a geek even as a kid

Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I had one of these back in the 80's, god I was a geek even as a kid
Me too!

Great watch

Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Anyone else remember the Sunday funny page, Dick Tracy and his wrist radio?

The Chuan Apple is helping to create the iPhone with smart watches (Must translate from Chinese Han)

´«Æ»¹ûÕý´òÔìÓëiPhone´îÅäʹÓà µÄÖÇÄÜÊÖ±í - iPhoneÖÐÎÄÍø

Lemme see, my iPod will go in my shirt pocket, my iPhone can hang off my belt on my left side, my iPad between the waist of the back of my pants and my butt my Macbook Pro in my alligator carrying case with the jeweled shoulder strap and my new iWatch Bluetooth smart watch on my right wrist...

Man will I be the most techno savvy hipster in the city......

Will any of that make me a cyborg? Nope.....

Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I've been predicting for 20 years that there would be a wrist mounted computer. It originates with the comic strip Dick Tracy. The fedora he wears is his antenna/power source. Everything is wifi.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
I loved those comic books. Had a bunch of them when I was a kid, but never thought that someday their value would increase to such a high number. myself

Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Anyone else remember the Sunday funny page, Dick Tracy and his wrist radio?

The Chuan Apple is helping to create the iPhone with smart watches (Must translate from Chinese Han)

´«Æ»¹ûÕý´òÔìÓëiPhone´îÅäʹÓà µÄÖÇÄÜÊÖ±í - iPhoneÖÐÎÄÍø

Lemme see, my iPod will go in my shirt pocket, my iPhone can hang off my belt on my left side, my iPad between the waist of the back of my pants and my butt my Macbook Pro in my alligator carrying case with the jeweled shoulder strap and my new iWatch Bluetooth smart watch on my right wrist...

Man will I be the most techno savvy hipster in the city......

Will any of that make me a cyborg? Nope.....
No, but according to the OP it will be close . I'm not following the logic, but they seem to be pretty excited about it.

I doubt I'll live to see it.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
[Moderator: I don't know which of the Tech forums this is most appropriate for].

So rumors are that Apple is working on watch device that would be a mini-computer or smartphone? (google "iwatch", it's all over the web.
I still have one of these in working condition, though it doesn't hold much of a charge these days.

Amazon.com: Fossil Abacus AU5005 Wrist PDA with Palm OS - Black: Electronics

I thought it was pretty cool, but the fact that I had to charge it every day (and it lost everything if the charge went to zero) become frustrating enough for me to stop wearing it. Still, it was cool to have DateBk6 on my watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers