Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,722,764 times

Advertisements

So after calling Windows twice and HP 4 times I can not find out what is wrong with my wireless internet. It was working when I had Windows 7 and I know it's a Windows problem, but Windows doesn't want to own up. I payed 15 bucks for a download of Windows 8, and now I think have to re-install Windows 8 and I am not sure how. I am at the point of totally getting of everything on my laptop except Windows 8. I don't know how to do so also.

I can not get wireless internet for public wifi hotspots like my college or a coffee shop or McDonalds.

I bought the custom laptop from HP.com brand new. However, I looked in my error log and it shows an error in my laptop dating back to 2007?????? WTF this is supposed to be brand new.

Second, when I asked HP to connect me to a manager the new manager sounded like the last guy on the phone and guess what....his name happened to be Sam too. And I told them I'm not stupid and hung up.

Tomorrow I am going to get an HP American rep on the phone demanding how to fix my wireless internet settings or my $850 back to get a Windows tablet.

Anyone else have trouble with windows 8 or HP getting wireless internet from hot spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Tomorrow I am going to get an HP American rep on the phone demanding how to fix my wireless internet settings or my $850 back to get a Windows tablet.
Back up a second, this is a new laptop that had Win7 that you upgraded too Win8?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,909,159 times
Windows is a product not an entity, you can't call it and talk to it (unless you have other issues).

Who did you purchase the Win8 upgrade from? If it was direct from Microsoft, HP has no obligation to help you, if it was from HP, then you need to deal with them. If it worked fine with Windows 7, the upgrade may have not gone as it should have (happens quite allot).

Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,821,124 times
I have Toshibas, and I'm not familiar with HPs. These are some things that have worked on Toshibas:

1. In Device Manager, network adapters, remove the wireless adapter, then reboot the computer and let Windows find it again.

2. Try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring the wireless back. Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the HP screen or logo press whatever key it says to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press whatever key to load setup defaults, then save and exit, then try to boot into Windows.

3. If Windows 8 doesn't seem to have a driver, Find out what network card you have and then try to download a driver from the manufacturer's website. Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Network Adapters. (Mine is a Realtek RTL8191SE, and Win8 has a built-in driver.)

You can try the HP forum, and you'll probably find a solution that way. Wireless, Internet & Home Networking (e.g. Windows 8) - HP Support Forum
see this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireles...t/td-p/2303735

If all else fails,since it was a recent purchase and upgrade, you should be able to use the recovery partition on the hard drive to put the machine back to Win7, unless you let Win8 totally reformat and repartition your drive, in which case you probably should purchase recovery disks from HP.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM

3,456 posts, read 4,801,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

I can not get wireless internet for public wifi hotspots like my college or a coffee shop or McDonalds.
So are you saying it connects to and works fine with your wifi at home but not on public wifi hotspots? If so, then it sounds like you need to change the wireless adapter settings to automatically detect and connect to open networks which is not the route I would take. I would instead, scan for wifi networks when I wanted to connect to one, select the one I wanted and connect. It doesn't automatically connect to open networks unless you set it to do so.

If on the other hand, you can't connect to any wifi at all anywhere; then it sounds more like a driver issue and you should do as SorryIMovedBack suggested and uninstall/remove the adapter, reboot the computer and let it detect it and reinstall the driver. Then give it a try.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
Did you find a solution?? I am having the exact same issue as the poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers