Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times

Advertisements

For some reason my HD has 2 partitions, drive C and drive G (this was due to a faulty format of C), anyway it loads G automatically and I've been using it, but it for some reason only had 13GB of space which isn't enough, C still has 146GB...

Can I delete C and merge G into C? I really need more space, Googling doesnt seem to help, the articles are kind of confusing.

I'm running windows XP.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Yes it is possible. There are several software choices that you can use to repartition.

I don't use Windows, so I can't recommend one for you. I have used Partition Magic in the past, and that isn't free.

Free Partition Magic alternative & free Partition Manager Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server - EaseUS.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM

I did find this.

Windows XP: The Complete Reference: Formatting and Partitioning Disks

There seems to be good info for the built in software to do this:

Repartitioning a Disk

Repartitioning a disk with Windows XP is unpleasant at best. Windows can only create and delete partitions--it can't move, resize, or copy them, and converting them requires using a DOS command. To rearrange the partitions on your system using only the Windows' Disk Management program, you delete the partitions that are the wrong size or in the wrong location. Then create new partitions. Follow these steps:

Back up all the files on the partitions that you need to delete.
Open the Disk Management pane in the Computer Management window--choose Start, right-click My Computer, choose Manage, and click Disk Management under the Storage heading in the Computer Management window. You see the Disk Management pane shown in Figure 32-4.
Delete the partitions that are in the wrong place or are the wrong size by right-clicking each one and choosing Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive from the menu that appears.
Create new ones by right-clicking the unallocated space (or free space in an extended partition) and choosing New Partition or New Logical Drive from the menu that appears.
Reload the backed up data.
Third-party disk utilities, such as PartitionMagic, make this process safer and easier and permit many kinds of changes without backing up and reloading everything. PartitionMagic can move, copy, and resize partitions without deleting them (it's amazing, actually). Utilities such as Drive Image make it easy to create a copy of a partition so you can reload it later. If you plan to use multiple partitions, we recommend you look into third-party partitioning programs (see the section "Installing Multiple Versions of Windows with PartitionMagic" earlier in this chapter).

Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Yes it is possible. There are several software choices that you can use to repartition.

I don't use Windows, so I can't recommend one for you. I have used Partition Magic in the past, and that isn't free.

Free Partition Magic alternative & free Partition Manager Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server - EaseUS.
EaseUS Partition Manager my preferred partitioning tool.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
EaseUS Partition Manager my preferred partitioning tool.
Hey I made a recommendation today that you liked? lol

Just messing with ya. Have a nice weekend!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
I have used the program MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition in the past to do this. It is free.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Another vote for EaseUS. It is simple and works very well.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Hey I made a recommendation today that you liked? lol

Just messing with ya. Have a nice weekend!
Sorry about the other threads. I just didn't agree there.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Sorry about the other threads. I just didn't agree there.
No big deal. It is something that I am working on. Sometimes I go overboard.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
EaseUS is a good tool. My fear is that your system is so messed up that you may render it unbootable by deleting C. It almost sounds like a FUBARed multi-boot setup which can be fragile. And you say "it loads G automatically" which makes me think %systemroot% is g:\Windows so if that becomes C, its all going to break if the registry isn't fixed.

It would be safer to just shrink C and give more space to G if that's where Windows is installed. Its not ideal but it'll work. Have a full backup and be prepared to nuke the whole thing and start fresh if it goes sideways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers