U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM

654 posts, read 1,144,601 times

Advertisements

My old computer suffered a heart attack a couple years ago and I had to do a complete restore. Its a Compaq tower.

Now I just remembered that I may have had some items that I could still use. Are those files retrievable? I can't find them now, are all docs gone?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,357,402 times
You just remembered you had files on your old computer after doing a system restore on it two years ago?

Sorry, yes they are gone.

If they are old programs you want back try looking at these sites:

http://www.oldversion.com/

http://www.oldapps.com/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-webs...ions-software/

Good luck.....

Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,460,900 times
Complete restore = adios files

The half dozen warning screens should have made that clear before allowing you to proceed.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,945,306 times
I'm not sure why you either of you are giving him that advice because that is not necessarily the case, when you delete a file, reformat or restore the space those files occupied are simply made available for disk writes. It's when that space is overwritten by something else that recovery becomes impossible. Having said that the longer you are using the drive and the more stuff you store on it the likelihood of that data being overwritten becomes greater.

I once recovered the entire "My Documents" folder on a reformatted machine almost immediately after it reformatted, actually multiple copies of some files that had been opened and saved. Your can try this recovery software, it will list all the files written to open space on the drive.

PC Inspector - kostenlose Software fr die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 AM

11,715 posts, read 37,460,900 times
Restoring a drive does a pretty good job writing all over the disk. And two years ago? Good luck.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM

28,717 posts, read 42,593,832 times
Being an optimist I say give it a try. If you find them great. If not at least you tried.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM

654 posts, read 1,144,601 times
I tried that software.

Didnt work.
Funny thing is: Cant see the document, you have to save it first to look at it.

Spent some time looking at pics and stuff saved from the internet and I didnt see any actual documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not sure why you either of you are giving him that advice because that is not necessarily the case, when you delete a file, reformat or restore the space those files occupied are simply made available for disk writes. It's when that space is overwritten by something else that recovery becomes impossible. Having said that the longer you are using the drive and the more stuff you store on it the likelihood of that data being overwritten becomes greater.

I once recovered the entire "My Documents" folder on a reformatted machine almost immediately after it reformatted, actually multiple copies of some files that had been opened and saved. Your can try this recovery software, it will list all the files written to open space on the drive.

PC Inspector - kostenlose Software fr die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 PM

If you don't see what you're looking for in the list of files it found then they are gone.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM

10,812 posts, read 19,142,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Because the advice is correct. The key in your statement is "almost immediately after it reformatted", at which time there's still a chance, 2 years later, ain't gonna happen.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Because the advice is correct. The key in your statement is "almost immediately after it reformatted", at which time there's still a chance, 2 years later, ain't gonna happen.
That would be incorrect. What you're going to find is entirely dependent on many factors like the size of the HDD, how actively it was used and how much data was on it. You don't know the answers to those questions and neither do I. I've run that program on other drives and it found files many years old...

The key in my statement is:

Quote:
Having said that the longer you are using the drive and the more stuff you store on it the likelihood of that data being overwritten becomes greater.
To simply say you won't find anything is bad advice no matter how unlikely it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers