Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,637 times

Advertisements

My budget for the new computer is somewhere around $1500. I am ready to go in and spend enough to get the right computer. I will be working online, doing photography work in Photoshop and Aperture, doing some small amounts of web development and programming for the theater where I work, some games.

As for the software I will be using: Adobe Photoshop CS4, Apple XCode bundle, Firefox . . . erm, I don't know what else. Probably Microsoft Office.

I do play some games, but nothing too crazy, so that's not much of an issue. Probably the most computer-frying game I would play is Minecraft.

I have a quite substantial classical music collection and a similarly substantial photography collection that will need to be stored and accessed on the computer readily.

I was looking at this guide to the best new desktop computers - is anything there the type of thing I am looking for? I have used plenty of desktops and laptops, but this is my first experience actually shopping for my own desktop and now I'm a little overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance for any replies, advice, recommendations, and jokes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default You answered your own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonflannigan View Post
My budget for the new computer is somewhere around $1500... will be using: .. Apple XCode bundle
Refurbished iMac 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)
iMac - refurbished + AppleCare

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Post under the Computer subforum - lots of folks helped me out w/recommendations on what to buy.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
For $1,500 you should be able to buy an iMac with the basic RAM, plus the software you have mentioned. I would also buy an external DVD-CD drive. You could buy additional RAM (if you want) from Crucial.

By the way, I use Macs and CS4 for photography work at home, and PCs at work for work stuff other than photography, but since I am not into gaming I can't help you there.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Aperture is only available for Mac, so that narrows down your choices to an iMac, which is a good choice for photography. The new models are absolutely gorgeous.

I also work in the theater and do light Web development. My dream setup would be a new MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt display. That way I would get the monitor space plus portability. Unfortunately it’s beyond your budget—and mine too.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I wonder how many posts until some genius chimes in and suggests the OP build their own desktop without realizing how stupid it would be.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM

620 posts, read 1,751,381 times
Have you considered building your own desktop PC?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wonder how many posts until some genius chimes in and suggests the OP build their own desktop without realizing how stupid it would be.
That is actually my preference. But I would not recommend it for everybody, especially at the speed new products are coming out and the price drops it is hard for us tinkerers to compete with the premade, preloaded ones.

Since the OP wants to use aperature, the choice is pretty much limited to an iMac. My only recommendation is to add an external HDD for plenty of storage.

The External HDD's in the 3 TB range have become affordable. Although for MAC are higher than for Windows. however one compatable with MAC can be had for $350 and under. 1 and 2 TB are considerably less.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
That is actually my preference. But I would not recommend it for everybody, especially at the speed new products are coming out and the price drops it is hard for us tinkerers to compete with the premade, preloaded ones.

Since the OP wants to use aperature, the choice is pretty much limited to an iMac. My only recommendation is to add an external HDD for plenty of storage.

The External HDD's in the 3 TB range have become affordable. Although for MAC are higher than for Windows. however one compatable with MAC can be had for $350 and under. 1 and 2 TB are considerably less.
WD makes several large hard drives, sold at Sam's Club and other stores. These cost the same for Macs and PCs (around $129.00 for 2TB up here, but cheaper at your side of the pond). These drives are plug and play these days, but I reformat them before using. By the way, you can connect a PC formatted drive to a Mac, and it will be recognized.
http://www.staples.com/cat_CL160403
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20and%20higher

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-17-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
Have you considered building your own desktop PC?
You can't be serious...

Please tell me that you were mocking me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers