Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 PM

558 posts, read 2,243,132 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this? I always thought my Imac seemed kind of top-heavy, and looked like it could tip...but to be honest, it's cool design is one of my favorite things about it! I am a Mac-lover all the way.

Well, one day 12 weeks ago, I slid one side of it toward me to put a book in the dead space behind it, and as I was reaching away from it to pick up the book, the computer FELL off the desk and onto my foot, crushing the major tendon where the foot attaches to the ankle, right above my ankle bone. It hurt like H*#@!!!!!! I have been in a wheelchair, and on crutches for the last 12 weeks!!

I wasn't touching it as it fell, so don't understand exactly what happened. The answer to the obvious question is NO, the computer was not hurt at all! My foot was a very effective cushion... I have gone online and tried to research it, and have found a few references to people being concerned about it tipping, and one case where a couple bolted theirs to the desk so it wouldn't tip over on their kids--but so far none where it actually tipped. Have any of you heard of this???
Attached Thumbnails
HELP, My IMAC Crashed - Onto My Foot! [ick-alert]-imacinjury.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,952,862 times
I never heard of this and there isn't anything online about it. You must have moved the desk or the iMac - it didn't fall over by itself. It isn't a lawsuit situation in my opinion - I have been to the most popular mac forums and seriously, if this was a design issue I think it would be more prominent there.

On a sort of related note, I was looking into buying one of the new iMacs for a retail business and I was looking into how I could secure it to my counter. I found a good solution online which involved a bracket which fits over the foot of the iMac and bolts to the desk and basically uses friction to keep the iMac tight to the counter (I noted this solution because it didn't involve drilling holes in the iMac nor using permanent adhesive). Perhaps you should look into this (or since security isn't an issue for you like it was me how about fabricating something simple and cheap yourself to secure your computer).

The situation obviously sucks - I look at the picture of your foot and think ... ouch, that's gotta hurt! I hope you heal up fine.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I never heard of this and there isn't anything online about it. You must have moved the desk or the iMac - it didn't fall over by itself. It isn't a lawsuit situation in my opinion - I have been to the most popular mac forums and seriously, if this was a design issue I think it would be more prominent there.

On a sort of related note, I was looking into buying one of the new iMacs for a retail business and I was looking into how I could secure it to my counter. I found a good solution online which involved a bracket which fits over the foot of the iMac and bolts to the desk and basically uses friction to keep the iMac tight to the counter (I noted this solution because it didn't involve drilling holes in the iMac nor using permanent adhesive). Perhaps you should look into this (or since security isn't an issue for you like it was me how about fabricating something simple and cheap yourself to secure your computer).

The situation obviously sucks - I look at the picture of your foot and think ... ouch, that's gotta hurt! I hope you heal up fine.
Not interested in or contemplating a lawsuit--guess I'm just wondering if it poses any kind of a potential risk so that others, especially parents with kids who could be rambunctious around it, need to be warned. The point is, it fell over very easily...the possibility of which had never occured to me--as is obvious or I would've gotten my foot out of the way!!! ADDITIONAL INFO: I have been walking on it again for about 5 days--wheelchair and crutches are in the closet!

Last edited by SaveMtns; 10-25-2007 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 02:20 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,403,215 times
dear God!

i'm so sorry for you, thank God you are already better

Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
dear God!

i'm so sorry for you, thank God you are already better
That's nice...thanks! It's been interesting--sitting with your foot elevated for 12 weeks gives you lots of time to look inward--sort of a good/bad thing!!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,952,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
Has anyone heard of this? I always thought my Imac seemed kind of top-heavy, and looked like it could tip...but to be honest, it's cool design is one of my favorite things about it! I am a Mac-lover all the way.

I wasn't touching it as it fell, so don't understand exactly what happened. I have gone online and tried to research it, and have found a few references to people being concerned about it tipping, and one case where a couple bolted theirs to the desk so it wouldn't tip over on their kids--but so far none where it actually tipped.
Here are some potential iMac mounting/bracketing solutions I found with a few online searches (I read through descriptions and although some of these were designed pre-current iMac design, they do have adaptors or the creators explicitly state they will work with the newer iMacs). I would at this point normally write that the links are in no particular order but I must admit that the first link's setup looks very nice to me... a wall mounting seems like a great idea and it probably adds all the stability you could want (and enables you to push the computer up and away from the kids when you aren't present):

Review: iLift VESA Arm - PaulStamatiou.com
i360 iMac Turntable - intro
Top Tec Security & Industrial Products - UK (http://www.top-tec.co.uk/detail.asp?pid=348&scat=11&cat=4 - broken link)
iMac Wall Mount - iMac VESA Adapter
imac G5 Pad
Mac mini / iMac security Plate, theft protection for high risk areas

I just couldn't help myself but do this search for you

Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Here are some potential iMac mounting/bracketing solutions I found with a few online searches (I read through descriptions and although some of these were designed pre-current iMac design, they do have adaptors or the creators explicitly state they will work with the newer iMacs). I would at this point normally write that the links are in no particular order but I must admit that the first link's setup looks very nice to me... a wall mounting seems like a great idea and it probably adds all the stability you could want (and enables you to push the computer up and away from the kids when you aren't present):

Review: iLift VESA Arm - PaulStamatiou.com
i360 iMac Turntable - intro
Top Tec Security & Industrial Products - UK (http://www.top-tec.co.uk/detail.asp?pid=348&scat=11&cat=4 - broken link)
iMac Wall Mount - iMac VESA Adapter
imac G5 Pad
Mac mini / iMac security Plate, theft protection for high risk areas

I just couldn't help myself but do this search for you
SO NICE of you!! thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers