U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM

4,883 posts, read 11,557,230 times

Advertisements

So I am a college student close to graduating. I bought a new HP laptop six months ago because I thought I was going to do a lot of gaming, but I have only bought two game and I don't game with friends anymore and I have gotten to the point where I don't game as much and it's not important to me anymore.

I am trying to decide if I should sell my laptop worth $1000 and buy an old MacBook Pro laptop.

I want to still be able to play these games:

Torchlight
Torchlight 2
Half Life
Half Life 2
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Bastion
Borderlands
Awesomenauts
The Cave

I am looking at two potential MacBook Pro laptops.

Here are the specs of my current laptop:

• HP DV6T
  • Windows 8 Pro
  • 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]
  • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
  • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
  • Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
  • No additional security software
  • 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)
  • Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam
  • 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • Standard Keyboard
  • Included 2 Year Warranty
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
it's a custom laptop

And the specs of the two MacBook Pro laptops I am thinking about:

MacBook Pro (R) 13

MacBook Pro (R) 13

Thanks

BTW, I am planning on becoming an HR worker. I am wondering would my current laptop be better for work or a MacBook Pro?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,777 posts, read 63,130,563 times
I have never heard of a company that didn't provide a computer for their HR Analysts. Ours are issued laptops in case they have to take it home to work or to a job fair.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never heard of a company that didn't provide a computer for their HR Analysts. Ours are issued laptops in case they have to take it home to work or to a job fair.
but it would technically not be mine but the company laptop.

would the MacBook pro laptop listed at $800 work with the games I listed I wonder?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,454,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So I am a college student close to graduating. I bought a new HP laptop six months ago because I thought I was going to do a lot of gaming, but I have only bought two game and I don't game with friends anymore and I have gotten to the point where I don't game as much and it's not important to me anymore.

I am trying to decide if I should sell my laptop worth $1000 and buy an old MacBook Pro laptop.
Thanks

BTW, I am planning on becoming an HR worker. I am wondering would my current laptop be better for work or a MacBook Pro?
You have no idea who you will be working for, no idea on what applications said employer is utilizing.

Save your money and pay off your student loan instead... stick with what you have.....

BTW, In the real world many employers don't allow employees to bring their home systems into work and connect to their BLAN's......

BTW2, if the employer is big enough to have multiple HR staff on payroll you can bet their HR staff logs into a server on the BLAN which runs their HR application(s)

Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You have no idea who you will be working for, no idea on what applications said employer is utilizing.

Save your money and pay off your student loan instead... stick with what you have.....

BTW, In the real world many employers don't allow employees to bring their home systems into work and connect to their BLAN's......

BTW2, if the employer is big enough to have multiple HR staff on payroll you can bet their HR staff logs into a server on the BLAN which runs their HR application(s)
I got no student loans.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
but it would technically not be mine but the company laptop.
You are confusing the crap out of people... You say:

So you are thinking of buying something else and donating it to whatever company you will be working for?

Quote:
would the MacBook pro laptop listed at $800 work with the games I listed I wonder?
Put your fingers to work and look for those games on the Internet and see what platforms they will run on.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I got no student loans.
You're graduating from college?

"I got no"????????????

Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You're graduating from college?

"I got no"????????????
that's right no debt. I was blessed to have my parents pay for cheap tuition and anything else I needed I saved up ad bought. I live at home so rent is free. I went to jc first too

Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
that's right no debt. I was blessed to have my parents pay for cheap tuition and anything else I needed I saved up ad bought. I live at home so rent is free. I went to jc first too
I assume since you are still in college you have looked into the educational pricing that Apple has on their hardware....

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
You are confusing the crap out of people... You say:

So you are thinking of buying something else and donating it to whatever company you will be working for?

Put your fingers to work and look for those games on the Internet and see what platforms they will run on.
I am not donating. but if I want to work on work at home I thought id use my own laptop, but apparently it doesn't work that well in the real word. also, it would be HR for a hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers