Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
It probably did, but for a forensics geek like me I would love to have tried. On occasion I buy peoples hard drives they are selling and then run tools on them to see what I can come up with. It can be interesting sometimes, but if I come up with someones personal data I give them the information that I find then properly take care of the hard drive. A lot of people don't realize that re-formating the drive doesn't mean that I can't retrieve the data or at least portions of it. I'm a Certified Ethical Hacker, yes there is such a thing (Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) Training Camp), so to keep within my ethical standards (also a CISSP) I insure that the persons data is returned and destroyed.

That is EXACTLY why I have two computers (and two more on its way) sittin' around the house. I don't want to donate b'c I'm afraid formatting will only "slow down" hackers. Any suggestions as to what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
That is EXACTLY why I have two computers (and two more on its way) sittin' around the house. I don't want to donate b'c I'm afraid formatting will only "slow down" hackers. Any suggestions as to what to do?
Drilling holes in the hard drive is a good way. I put mine up to my brothers Subwoofer magnet, formatted it, put in on the subwoofer magnet, formatted it again, the put it up to the subwoofer magnet... Then I got bored and opened it up took the read/write head and completely scratched the platters with it.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 PM

lol ... I was hoping for a less - oh, how would you put it - barbaric method? heehee

Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM

Oh dang! :P I keep my old hard drive just to release anger on! haha!

Well there is always just opening it up and ri... messing it up! :P

Otherwise you can format it as fat, then fat 32, then ntfs, then again as ext2 then ext3, and a few extra times as whatever you choose.

If you are just getting rid of the computer and whatnot, just take out the old hard drive and force them to get a new one. Or if it's a donation many many many many many formats with switching the file system each time.

Otherwise the best and most efficient way is to just destroy it.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 PM

lol, i gotcha ronzou ... better safe than sorry!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 PM

If you DO want them destroyed send them my way! I always have a need to destroy computer parts! I've ALWAYS wanted to use a sledge hammer on one! muahahah!

I mean.... *puts hands like Mr. Burns* Excellent...

Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
Reformatting a hard drive does not get rid of the data, there are overwrite tools you can use. BCWipe, SRM (Secure remove), WipeDrive or others. Also you just don't do a one time overwrite, a minimum of 7, but personally I do 32. So for those of you that have or are going to sell your old pc's ... make sure the data can not be retrieved, or sell the pc minus the hard drive. You can always tear the hard drive down to the platters, then degauss them or use high grit sand paper on them. Just a few suggestions ....
Here are overwriting tools you can use, but don't just overwrite once. No less than 7 is what I would recommend, but like I said I do 32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers