Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,183,625 times

Advertisements

I played before with a Windows 8 VM and hated it. A month ago, I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8. I decided to give it another try and so far:

1. The laptop came loaded with crapware, as usual. I wanted to try the 8.1 preview on a clean install, so I went with the 8.1 ISO. Unfortunately, the 8.1 ISO only installs with a MS temporary key and installs Windows 8 Pro. Well, I don't want to risk reinstalling everything a couple of months down the road when the preview ends and MS doesn't let me downgrade to Windows 8 Core with the OEM key.

2. The Windows 8.1 installer doesn't give you the option to create a local account, or so it seems. There was no option, just enter your MS account credentials, create a new MS account, or cancel the install. Just for giggles, I entered abc@123.com as my E-mail and 12345 as my password. The installer gave me an invalid password error and then offered me to create a local account instead.

3. I ended up installing Windows 8.0 instead. The install program automatically picked up the OEM key from the BIOS and installed the Core version. From there, I tried to upgrade to 8.1 preview using the Windows Store. I applied the normal updates and then the upgrade, but it kept failing over and over. I reinstalled Windows 8.0 from scratch again, and this time did the upgrade before applying any updates. This time it went through without a hassle.

4. I got 8.1 Core up and running with my OEM key. So far, so good. The new Start button just takes you to Metro. The thing that I miss the most about the Windows 7 Start menu was the search box. I was used to hitting the Windows key and typing away. The Metro screen interrupts my workflow and also has a tendency to prioritize Apps over programs when more than one choice exists. At least you now have the option of booting to the desktop.

5. Classic Shell to the rescue. My Win7 start button is back, along with its search box, and the active corners and charms are gone in the desktop. I have not been thrown into Metro against my will for over two weeks. Life is good.

6. Coming from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Core, I miss some of the security features, like having a classic login where the user has to enter both the username and password, and NTFS encryption. I wonder why MS treats security features as premium content. I also miss Aero; Windows 7 was much more visually appealing.

Conclusion: If it wasn't for Classic Shell, I'd be back on Windows 7 in a heartbeat. I do like a few apps, like the weather app and the news app and don't mind switching to Metro to use them, but it's good to be able to stay on the desktop 24/7 if I choose to. I don't see the need to downgrade to Windows 7 anymore, and yet, I don't see the need to upgrade from 7 to 8 either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers