Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 AM

157 posts, read 309,557 times

Advertisements

Thank you. I am now on a Dell laptop that's not working out so well for my current needs. I am middle aged and therefore don't keep up or switch technology as much as a younger person....so I am not entirely familiar with all options available to me.

My job and personal situations have changed and I am now more mobile. I need a lightweight computer that will move from being hooked up to a large monitor on the desktop, to being used at Starbucks, to the sofa late at night. I use a computer primarily for web surfing and email - no gaming, no scientific number crunching, etc. I do use it to run TurboTax once a year and for printing documents.

I type long emails, so a touch screen probably won't work well for me - likely need a detachable keyboard.
I am planning to purchase an e-reader as well, but beginning to think that this will be a separate device.(?)

Even with all the recommended security software, still often dealing with security and virus issues on the Dell.

Ease of use and less hassles with "crapware, malware, bloatware, etc. etc." make me wonder about moving to Apple...already own iPods and iPhone...so I am familiar with Apple branded products....and perhaps this post should also be made in the tablets section? not sure.

Any and all advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 AM

200 posts, read 241,265 times
Based on these requirements
  • need a lightweight computer
  • moves from desktop *setup* to notebook
  • primarily for web surfing and email
  • lots of typing
  • don't want to deal with security and viruses
  • no crapware, malware, bloatware, etc. etc.
  • already own iPods and iPhone, familiar with Apple products

I would highly recommend a MacBook Air. As light as light gets, near instant wake times, a great keyboard (backlit so you can see what you're doing in a dim environment), at this point in time no real or widespread security concerns (I've been a Mac user for over 15 years and have never had a single issue), excellent included software (no crap), ridiculously great battery life (9 and 12 hours for the 11" and 13" respectively), and many other great features that you can see at Apple's web site.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
I agree, if you want to move to Apple, a MacBook Air is your best bet.

Just so you know, the new version of OSX will include iBooks so your laptop will function as an e-reader if you choose (although a tablet has a better form-factor for reading). MacBook Air also use Thunderbolt which acts as a tremendous, if expensive, docking station to a monitor.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Operating system, not hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina65 View Post
Even with all the recommended security software, still often dealing with security and virus issues on the Dell.
This is NOT related to the Dell hardware.
This is solely a function of:
a. Windows
b. Your surfing habits

If you buy a Mac, I would recommend:
a. Do not install any anti-virus software
b. Do install Little Snitch and learn how to use it

Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
If your budget is wide open then a $1000+ Macbook Air would be great.
If not, a $400 Windows laptop will do you just fine.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 PM

384 posts, read 594,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
Based on these requirements
  • need a lightweight computer
  • moves from desktop *setup* to notebook
  • primarily for web surfing and email
  • lots of typing
  • don't want to deal with security and viruses
  • no crapware, malware, bloatware, etc. etc.
  • already own iPods and iPhone, familiar with Apple products

I would highly recommend a MacBook Air. As light as light gets, near instant wake times, a great keyboard (backlit so you can see what you're doing in a dim environment), at this point in time no real or widespread security concerns (I've been a Mac user for over 15 years and have never had a single issue), excellent included software (no crap), ridiculously great battery life (9 and 12 hours for the 11" and 13" respectively), and many other great features that you can see at Apple's web site.
The Macbook air is a waste of money. Because everything is soldered into the motherboard there is no chance of upgrading the PC which makes it obsolete extremely fast. Plus the hardware in the computer can be found cheaply elsewhere with better clock speeds--the highest costing Macbook Air has a Core i5 processor with a painfully slow clock speed of 1.3GHz and integrated graphics, while you could get a Lenovo gaming laptop for the same price with a core i7 processor, SLI-Linked Nvidia GT650M graphics with 2GB of GDDR5 each, 16GB of RAM, and two hard drives.
People who believe Macs never get viruses are buying into Apples' racket. I have needed to fix many Macs at my university where they have been corrupted into a brick by viruses. Apple has a great racket with the people that believe that their Macs are built to withstand anything, then are back in the apple store having to pay $500 to get the screen replaced after they dropped it off the couch. Lenovo would just do it for free, or better yet, not crack at all (that's ThinkPad for you)
It is possible to have a computer without viruses. Unofrtunately people would rather blame the hardware and other stuff when they click on what is obviously a virus. My ThinkPad from 2007 is still running and I have two other gaming computers from Lenovo that haven't required one call to the tech support department.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Lets keep this simple...

Get a Macbook Air..

Simple, easy to use after the first week, no pain-in-the-ass update this, update that on an almost weekly basis...
No constant maintenance to speak of.

Usually Macbook Air & Pro users are not so quick to blurt out an answer to your question like most Windows users are apt to do.

Consider LPDAL's special, unusual and very focused users.... college hipsters and generation bubble-wrap kiddies,

#1 they think they know everything about computers and

#2 They don't care about banging around destroying their laptops, it's not their property, either Mommy & Daddy will buy a new one or the college will fix it for them... Take responsibility for something they have? No way....

Viruses and such? Sure a Macbook <whatever> can get them... -but- 99% of the viruses and such identified as having malicious intent on OS-X are purely a proof-of-concept virus, it's been identified by some college or company that is desperately trying to keep their profit margins in the black and not the red.

In plain English it has never made it to the public domain (us Macbook xxx users).

LPDAL can't get it through his/her/it's head that you are not going to want a new or upgraded system every year or even every three or four years...

Email and web pages don't change that radically year in year out that you would be forced to upgrade.

For hardware and software stability I'd pick Macbook Air...

Old 08-11-2013, 03:21 AM

384 posts, read 594,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Lets keep this simple...

Get a Macbook Air..

Simple, easy to use after the first week, no pain-in-the-ass update this, update that on an almost weekly basis...
No constant maintenance to speak of.

Usually Macbook Air & Pro users are not so quick to blurt out an answer to your question like most Windows users are apt to do.

Consider LPDAL's special, unusual and very focused users.... college hipsters and generation bubble-wrap kiddies,

#1 they think they know everything about computers and

#2 They don't care about banging around destroying their laptops, it's not their property, either Mommy & Daddy will buy a new one or the college will fix it for them... Take responsibility for something they have? No way....

Viruses and such? Sure a Macbook <whatever> can get them... -but- 99% of the viruses and such identified as having malicious intent on OS-X are purely a proof-of-concept virus, it's been identified by some college or company that is desperately trying to keep their profit margins in the black and not the red.

In plain English it has never made it to the public domain (us Macbook xxx users).

LPDAL can't get it through his/her/it's head that you are not going to want a new or upgraded system every year or even every three or four years...

Email and web pages don't change that radically year in year out that you would be forced to upgrade.

For hardware and software stability I'd pick Macbook Air...
And for durability and hardware I'd choose Lenovo.

This laptop was waterlogged and the keys burnt off-and it still booted up. And a macbook air would probably be a smoldering pile of aluminum in that scenario

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Appreciate the additional comments. Price is always a decision factor, but for me, at this point in my life -

ease of use, reliability, less maintenance is more important than price (relatively speaking).

Thank you all, C

Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 AM

I hear you on the iTunes....are you saying that if I purchase MP3 downloads from Amazon, I can't add those tunes to my iPod tune library?

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers