Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times

Advertisements

How to create recovery discs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc= en&product=3250961
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Thank you so much. I checked this out, and even installed an HP product detector which was pretty cool. It checked to see if my machine needed updates, and it didn't. So, the automatic update function is still apparently working.

But, unfortunately, recovery discs are no longer available from HP, and it didn't give info on how to create discs for Windows XP, only for Windows 7. I couldn't find info on doing this for my laptop. Wah!

I did learn, though, that if I continually hit F10 when the computer comes on, that it should open up the recovery info that is stored on the hard drive - as long as that section of the computer isn't corrupted. So, if it crashes and burns, I'll be hitting F10!

That's all my brain can absorb today, but I am looking forward to seeing if putting in the memory will make things good enough for now. I should receive it next week.

Again thanks so much. Mmmmmmwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhh to you too

Old 08-17-2013, 06:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hi all,

I have an old HP Compaq laptop - about 6 years old, I'd guess. I'm not a techie, so bear with me if I give stupid information :-)

It's got (taken from the old original sticker on the computer):

Compaq Presario V6105NR Notebook PC

Intel Celeron M Processor 430, (1.73 GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 533 Mhz FSB)
512 mb system memory

100GB (5400 rpm) hard drive

I'm running Windows XP

It's just slow now, and can't handle upgraded software programs, and freezes up a lot, needing to be rebooted.

I really can't afford a new computer. I'm retired and on a small fixed income.

Is it possible to upgrade this one? What should I buy? About what would it cost, roughly? Would it be worth it?

I don't do any gaming. I watch Netflix, I surf the internet, that's really it.

Would love your advice and opinions.

Thanks!
Based on what you need, I would say upgrade the ram to max. Go to HP's site, look up your model of notebook, and follow the guides to establish the type of memory and maximum amount your device can support.

XP is fine for what you need, even with it dropping off the windows support soon.

A 100gb's is plenty for what you are doing, I suggest downloading some cleaning programs, going through and getting rid of bloated and unneeded software, etc... If you need more storage space for your files, look into a portable USB HD or a memory stick.

If you desired, windows 7 may run fine as well, it is a pretty clean OS, though the problem you may run into is some proprietary drivers of your notebook not having any windows 7 drivers.

Another alternative is to look into a linux distribution. Do a google for how to make a Ubuntu Live USB stick OR a live CD is USB is not feasible. Doing this will create a bootable OS version of Ubuntu that won't interfere with your existing installation and will run entirely from the media you create it on (USB stick or DVD). This will allow you to determine a few things.

1. Does ubuntu have drivers that will work for your device.
2. How smooth will it run on your device.

You "may" be able to run a version of linux on your existing ram without having to upgrade anything and achieve the functionality you desire due to some linux distributions having a clean and efficient system (ie, not bloated like windows).

Don't be "worried" about it being linux, in fact... many linux distributions are extremely easy to run and operate for the needs that you have.

So, to recap, your options are (not in any specific order of preference, though the linux option may not require any purchases):

1. Upgrade RAM memory keep XP, but do a maintenance to clean up space and make it run better.

2. Upgrade RAM memory, get windows 7, do a fresh install (which will also be like cleaning your machine)

5. Try Ubuntu Live USB/CD and install it if it runs acceptable, maybe upgrade RAM memory if needed.

In the end, upgrading RAM is your biggest bang for the buck, but keep in mind that while ram may be old, your device "may" require a special brand or RAM which could be quite expensive.

Many years ago, when I worked as a PC Tech, I was replacing a CD-Rom for a Compaq desktop machine. The cost of a replacement generic CD-Rom was only around 20 dollars, but the special proprietary Compaq IDE cable was 260 dollars (typical their garbage machines back then). So don't be surprised "if" something similar happens, though... I don't think you will have an issue with the RAM, it is uncommon to see such limitations.

The hard drive may be a different story though, so if you have USB on the device and want to increase that space, definitely look into a portable HD as it will likely be far cheaper and less hassle.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Based on what you need, I would say upgrade the ram to max. Go to HP's site, look up your model of notebook, and follow the guides to establish the type of memory and maximum amount your device can support.

XP is fine for what you need, even with it dropping off the windows support soon.

A 100gb's is plenty for what you are doing, I suggest downloading some cleaning programs, going through and getting rid of bloated and unneeded software, etc... If you need more storage space for your files, look into a portable USB HD or a memory stick.

If you desired, windows 7 may run fine as well, it is a pretty clean OS, though the problem you may run into is some proprietary drivers of your notebook not having any windows 7 drivers.

Another alternative is to look into a linux distribution. Do a google for how to make a Ubuntu Live USB stick OR a live CD is USB is not feasible. Doing this will create a bootable OS version of Ubuntu that won't interfere with your existing installation and will run entirely from the media you create it on (USB stick or DVD). This will allow you to determine a few things.

1. Does ubuntu have drivers that will work for your device.
2. How smooth will it run on your device.

You "may" be able to run a version of linux on your existing ram without having to upgrade anything and achieve the functionality you desire due to some linux distributions having a clean and efficient system (ie, not bloated like windows).

Don't be "worried" about it being linux, in fact... many linux distributions are extremely easy to run and operate for the needs that you have.

So, to recap, your options are (not in any specific order of preference, though the linux option may not require any purchases):

1. Upgrade RAM memory keep XP, but do a maintenance to clean up space and make it run better.

2. Upgrade RAM memory, get windows 7, do a fresh install (which will also be like cleaning your machine)

5. Try Ubuntu Live USB/CD and install it if it runs acceptable, maybe upgrade RAM memory if needed.

In the end, upgrading RAM is your biggest bang for the buck, but keep in mind that while ram may be old, your device "may" require a special brand or RAM which could be quite expensive.

Many years ago, when I worked as a PC Tech, I was replacing a CD-Rom for a Compaq desktop machine. The cost of a replacement generic CD-Rom was only around 20 dollars, but the special proprietary Compaq IDE cable was 260 dollars (typical their garbage machines back then). So don't be surprised "if" something similar happens, though... I don't think you will have an issue with the RAM, it is uncommon to see such limitations.

The hard drive may be a different story though, so if you have USB on the device and want to increase that space, definitely look into a portable HD as it will likely be far cheaper and less hassle.
Wow! This is amazing! Thanks so much.

I actually did install AVG PC Tune-up a while back. It did help by cleaning things up. What helped the best was putting it in "turbo" mode, which shuts off background stuff that's running, but not necessary. But, even that didn't cure the situation - but definitely helps.

I ordered 2 - 1GB memory cards from crucial.com. I used their online memory scanner, as was suggested above. Very cool. Determined what I had and what I could order. So, I ordered the max. They even have an online video that shows you how to install the memory. Looks easy enough, even for a non-techie like me.

So, the memory is the next step. Then I'll follow up with your other suggestions.

I can't believe you guys are free LOL! Thank you so much for taking the time to help an old lady. Here's a kiss for you, too mmmmmmmwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Quote:
Wow! This is amazing! Thanks so much.

I can't believe you guys are free LOL! Thank you so much for taking the time to help an old lady. Here's a kiss for you, too mmmmmmmwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Ma'am, the advice are free. However, if you want the good advice you'll have to sign up for our credit monitoring service. So will it be Visa or American Express?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ma'am, the advice are free. However, if you want the good advice you'll have to sign up for our credit monitoring service. So will it be Visa or American Express?
LOL! You guys are way less grumpy than the people in the renting forum LOL!

Sorry only have MasterCard and kisses - mmmmmmwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,871,005 times
Quote:
LOL! You guys are way less grumpy than the people in the renting forum LOL!

Sorry only have MasterCard and kisses - mmmmmmwwwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
It's just cause we have a ping pong table here and also lemon squares in the break room they're just jealous

Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
It's just cause we have a ping pong table here and also lemon squares in the break room they're just jealous
Oh so true lol! There's something about landlord/tenants though, that brings out the worst in people :-) Thanks again for all your help. I'm supposed to get my new memory this week in the next couple days from UT. Will be back if I can't figure it out

Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Creating recovery discs in Windows XP. From HP Support. Using either a recovery partition on the hard drive or a program in XP.

Creating the Recovery Disc Set (Windows XP) | HP® Support

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
For the freezing and rebooting problems it never hurts to do this:

Open My Computer (or Windows Explorer) and find drive C:

Right click the drive icon and click Properties

Click the Tools tab

Click Check Now in the Error Checking section

Make sure both boxes have a check mark in them and click Start.

You should see a dialog box stating that you need to restart the computer in order for the programs to run. I'm not able to see that now so I may have it slightly wrong.

Restart the computer and wait while the programs run. It will take a while.

Don't expect to see any immediate improvement as the problems these programs find and repair are subtle, but they do fix a lot of unseen errors.

And you should try Ccleaner. It cleans cookies, temp files, etc off the hard drive and can help with performance. Probably similar to the AVG program you used. Click on the green box at top right and don't click anything else until the gray dialog box opens with the download text. Quite often people click on a background box because they get impatient and download the wrong thing. (Not that I've ever done that. No, not me. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers