Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times

Advertisements

I'm currently running Ccleaner v3.20.1750.

It seems the following has been happening with the last several versions:

1. Whenever I run Cleaner Analyze, it runs much slower than it used to in the past.

2. Also the progress bar with the % completion stays at 0% until the very end of the process, so it's not really showing what the progress is.

Analyze and Run Cleaner used to fly right through... now it's more like a crawl. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Are you using a portable version?
What options do you have checked?
Does the user profile have Admin rights?
Depending on the selected options, number of user profiles, hard drive size and used space, it could take longer but it still shouldn't crawl unless there is something wrong with the system.
Was your computer infected recently? How is the overall condition of your computer?

Have you tried uninstalling / re-installing CCleaner?

Old 08-29-2012, 02:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Have you set up Secure Deletion in Options/Settings?

There is a newer version available for you to download

Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 AM

I updated to v3.22.1800 and it seems to be running fine now.

The overall condition of the computer is good. Malwarebytes and MSE are showing everything's clean. Also, set on Normal file deletion.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM

445 posts, read 1,605,491 times
I just upgraded to the newest version but I still think that it runs a little slower than it has to because it is showing the file names one at a time...
The reason I say this is - I had some programs that ran in Foxpro and the setting "Talk On" would show status count on the screen.. This requires thru put in the video - If they turned off that part of it (I mean who really can sit and read all the file names) the whole process would go much faster - um MAYBE

TF -I see if secure deletion helps next time - thanks

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
I just upgraded to the newest version but I still think that it runs a little slower than it has to because it is showing the file names one at a time...
The reason I say this is - I had some programs that ran in Foxpro and the setting "Talk On" would show status count on the screen.. This requires thru put in the video - If they turned off that part of it (I mean who really can sit and read all the file names) the whole process would go much faster - um MAYBE
Treenoid, I agree with you.... I'm not interested in reading the file names either at the expense of speed.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Secure deletion will slow down the process at the expense of security. I'm set to 3 passes. About every 3 months I up it to 35 passes and have the program wipe alternate data streams, wipe cluster tips, and wipe free space (it's at the bottom of the Cleaner menu). I have wipe MFT space always checked.

That 3 month routine takes a looooong time, but I just let it run overnight.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Displaying the file names will have pretty much zero effect on the speed of Ccleaner.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,662,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I updated to v3.22.1800 and it seems to be running fine now.

The overall condition of the computer is good. Malwarebytes and MSE are showing everything's clean. Also, set on Normal file deletion.
I had never used Ccleaner. It was recommended to me by a guy, as we all sat in line, for a free dental clinic.
I went home and tried it. He said he scans his computer every day using Ccleaner.

I only scanned one time. I did notice a big difference.
Since I have MSE running 24/7, I have been running Ccleaner once a week.
It helps alot and no downside to having it running all the time.

I do a weekly scan with Malwarebytes too.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I had never used Ccleaner. It was recommended to me by a guy, as we all sat in line, for a free dental clinic.
I went home and tried it. He said he scans his computer every day using Ccleaner.

I only scanned one time. I did notice a big difference.
Since I have MSE running 24/7, I have been running Ccleaner once a week.
It helps alot and no downside to having it running all the time.

I do a weekly scan with Malwarebytes too.
On this page, I went over CCleaner features and functions in detail. It is about 90% complete but should answer most of your questions if you have any.

Anyhow, when it comes to using CCleaner, I would advice against having all boxes selected because it would be counter productive imho. Certain sections should not be deleted, browser caches should not be deleted unless you suspect the data in there is causing browser problems, slowness or your machine might be infected. Browser cache actually speeds up browsing, cookies are not dangerous and they actually serve a good purpose. To each his own but I delete as little as possible for every day runs, that way frequently visited sites open faster, my customizations are recalled/retained and I do not have to log in all the time. Of course, the more practical and convenient your Internet browsing becomes, it typically means you could potentially be compromising some security or privacy but it is nothing to worry about since infected machine are more than likely to monitor your "real-time" computer/web usage and keyboard typing than the cached encrypted data.

Some people actually go to Options > Cookies and move the cookies they want to keep to the right hand side so they can select the "Cookies" option under the main Cleaner window without having to worry about re-logging on to the frequently visited sites (like C-D or their web mail accounts, etc.)

The following screenshots shows the options I have selected on my computer. The link I provided above talks about the default options or the options you should select for infected machines.

It is probably best for everyone to experiment and find the settings that suit them the best.

~TL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers