U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 AM

3,279 posts, read 4,242,730 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a rant, observation, & question all in one.

Is it me or have sites lately, as in the past 3-5 years or so, gotten really bad about 2 things where it regards downloading files--(a) insisting on doing it "over the air" vs giving you the full-sized executable that you can later install again WITHOUT an Internet connection and (b) having seemingly 253 "download now" buttons on the page that are instead for downloading a "download manager" or a toolbar etc?

Both really irritate me, a LOT. Regarding (a) I am sort of an "advanced user" of computers, meaning I'm to the point I know how to build them, install the OS & drivers from ground zero, and in fact I do this pretty often. (I also know a little Visual Basic & SQL, although not to the point of being qualified for a "SQL Administrator" job etc.) Thus, certain programs like an old "Powerdesk" file manager, Firefox browser, Irfanview for viewing photos etc, are programs I will install as standard on any machine. With the .exe files on my USB flash drive, I can do so even if that certain computer isn't online yet, & without having to hunt down the site etc. I just go to the "downloads" folder on my USB flash and have at it, QUICKLY.

Thus, I have NO, NO, NO, NO interest in a stupid "over the air" installation & download. I want the WHOLE THING. If I want the latest version, I'll deal with that later, but I need something NOW.

Regarding (b) even when I do go to the Internet & download a file, anymore it seems to take FOREVER to find the actual file you want because you have a zillion "download here" buttons all over the place, none of which have anything to do with what you're actually after, but are instead nagging you to download some toolbar or download manager etc. I get this a lot & did so yesterday while trying to download an older version of the Opera browser from sites other than Opera itself (who, as I recall, was pushing me towards an "OTA" install).

I neither need nor want "download manager," I know how to find where the files have downloaded & then move them to where I actually WANT them to be. I know how to unzip an archive file with the built-in "extract here" feature, or by using 7-Zip etc. I do not need or want any "hand-holding." Just give me what I want and get out of my freaking way.

Speaking of 7Zip--they are a site that gets this right. I went there, saw a "download now" button featured very prominently in the middle of the page, this button was for 7-Zip itself, (not a download manager or 7Zip "over the air"), and upon clicking it IMMEDIATELY downloading commenced, and it was the full download, not an "over the air" download/installation, and I happily dumped it to my USB flash drive. (I have noticed that when downloading the drivers for a computer which I was starting out "bare" with, the manufacturers' drivers site got both a & b right as well.)

Now THAT is how it should be done--in fact, as much as I am for the government having no legal authority on the Internet at all, I would even go so far as to say that it should be REQUIRED by the LAW to be that way, for every single site in the entire world. Those other sites ought to be MADE to do it that way, whether they like it or not.

Thoughts?

Last edited by shyguylh; 08-24-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,717,424 times
First thought:

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

It's the first thing I do on every new machine that I build, and one of my clients uses a standard ninite installer for all of the machines that they build / install in the field (a few dozen a month at least).

It is an OTA installer, since it's getting the installs from each web site, but it always gets the latest versions, and doesn't include any crapware or downloaders.

As a software developer, I actually prefer to deliver a small stub installer, that can then pull a full installer from our site. This allows us to build an installer once, and only once (building them is a time consuming process), and then have that installer always download the latest version of the files it needs.

As for the places with 500 spammy download buttons, I only download directly from the original developer, and never from a third party website.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:47 PM

40,844 posts, read 42,248,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
and (b) having seemingly 253 "download now" buttons on the page that are instead for downloading a "download manager" or a toolbar etc?
Not that I agree with it but those are ads and how they get paid for offering free software.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,987,125 times
Cnet used to be good. Now it's weird. One of the worst.

Oh, I used to sort of like "toolbars". Now they disgust me. Such an overused gimmick.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,242,730 times
(Skunk Workz) You may have a point with your situation, my thing is I like for things to go QUICKLY when I set up a machine, and I do it very much "from the ground up" as it were, and I don't want to have to wait for downloading for EVERY SINGLE THING I put on the machine. That especially goes for major service packs (like, say, SP3 for a Windows XS SP2 computer). The "incremental" Windows updates, fine, but not the major service packs.

Most of all, though, I have an ancient version of Powerdesk, a file manager, I like to set up, and Infranview for viewing photos, and Adobe Lightroom 3.5 and/or Photoshop CS2. Those either are MAJOR downloads in size (Adobe) or hard to find now (Powerdesk goes back to 2001 or so the free version was never updated as I understand it). I have them already on a USB flash drive. It is MUCH MUCH easier to just put in the USB flash drive & go with that without having to manually seek out every download for everything. It's not dependent on Internet bandwidth, speed, quality of connection, there's no need to hunt them down etc. You just go with the USB flash drive downloads, it's very easy.

If it's a bit out of date, fine, I'll deal with that later, or if I feel like it, I'll seek out the latest version, but I shouldn't have to EVERY SINGLE TIME and whether I feel like it or not.

(thecoalman) Frankly, I don't care much about a companies' interests and how such means I'm compelled to have to deal with freaking advertising. I go there for what I'm looking for, that is ALL I want to see. I absolutely cannot STAND advertising, I can't STAND it. I want the software and WITHOUT the ads. If I have to pay a small fee, okay I guess, but I do NOT want advertising. Period. Not at all. You're talking about someone who never watches TV or listens to the radio, EVER (I buy MP3s or DVDs etc), because I don't want any advertising. I remember once driving to work & how the 30 minute drive there I heard only 2 songs totaling about 7 minutes (with DJs talking all over the songs to boot) and the entire rest of the time, freaking commercials. With DVDs, I even rip them to the hard drive & remove everything but the feature selection because I feel I shouldn't have to watch previews or "FBI Warning" stuff, I want the feature selection ONLY, absolutely NOTHING ELSE PERIOD.

And those who say "if you don't want it, then you better be willing to pay for it" well even when you do, you STILL encounter it. They're just so intent on shoving it down your throat. One of my child's DVDs even locks you out from skipping PREVIEWS, not the FBI warning (although I'm against that being locked-out from skipping as well), but PREVIEWS. Again, I ripped it to the hard drive, deleted everything but the feature selection, & smashed the original DVD against the wall. How DARE they MAKE me watch the previews on a DVD that I PAID FOR. I even contacted the company and told them I would never buy any other DVDs from them and even told them I had copied their DVD because a DVD that I PAID FOR is MINE and if I don't want to watch ads then I shouldn't have to.

Or, at the risk of showing my age, for years cable TV (prior to 1984) did not allow advertising. The idea was you were paying for cable TV so you shouldn't have to watch commercials. Well they de-regulated cable & wouldn't you know it, with cable TV you were PAYING for you now had commercials just like broadcast TV. If I'd been buying cable TV at that time (I was barely 14), I'd been extremely outraged.

I want what I came here for--NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER. NOTHING. If I go to a site looking for Opera browser, I want to see OPERA BROWSER ONLY. Nothing else. NOTHING. Frankly, if it were up to me, you wouldn't even see a HOME or CONTACT US button, you'd see "download" on a white page with absolutely nothing around it but white space.

LRH

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM

40,844 posts, read 42,248,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
(thecoalman) Frankly, I don't care much about a companies' interests and how such means I'm compelled to have to deal with freaking advertising. I go there for what I'm looking for, that is ALL I want to see. I absolutely cannot STAND advertising, I can't STAND it. I want the software and WITHOUT the ads. If I have to pay a small fee, okay I guess, but I do NOT want advertising. Period. Not at all.
That's the way they make money and for many of them the only way they make money. They can try charging but that's doomed to failure and for some of them it may not even be an option at all if large parts of the software are open source they "borrowed".

In any event I think the advertising model is the best one, the only issue I have is as you mentioned where they are deceptive and the ad looks like a download link.

Quote:
I even contacted the company and told them I would never buy any other DVDs from them and even told them I had copied their DVD because a DVD that I PAID FOR is MINE and if I don't want to watch ads then I shouldn't have to.
Technically no it isn't, you own a plastic disc you have license to view as the author intends it to be viewed. But watever.....

Quote:
Frankly, if it were up to me, you wouldn't even see a HOME or CONTACT US button, you'd see "download" on a white page with absolutely nothing around it but white space.
If that were the case you'd be costing them money for hosting services just to give you free software. As you can see that model won't work. If you have popular site hosting services aren't cheap, a site like this one here is probably spending $300 to $400 at a minimum each month just to cover server expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or