Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:41 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarie View Post
Ever since we had to have out hard drive wiped out and reinstalled after getting SPYWARE we have not been able to upload any of our photos from our computer to the internet
Just like mamamarie and 99brebry, I have a similar problem: ever since re-installing Windows, I am not able to upload ANY pictures ANYwhere on the internet! Can't even attach them in e-mails (gmail, aol and others), Facebook, etc. It's pretty frustrating, to say the least, it's been going on for a few months now.

I tried to figure out what could be wrong, what settings may have changed, but nothing seems to work - and I don't know that much about computers and I work two jobs, so never really had the time to really get into the thick of things and try to become a computer wiz now, in order to try and fix it.

Does anyone of you happen to know WHAT COULD BE THE ISSUE and how to fix it? Please?

*When I use attachment in Gmail, it shows the name of the file under the letter, and a little window to show the progress of uploading, but after a couple of seconds it says "Internet Explorer has stopped working" - and kicks me out of a page!
*On AOL, it actually uploads a picture into the letter but then I can't send it.
*Similar with Hotmail: shows a name of the file, doesn't upload into a visible box, says that letter is being sent.... and stays that way forever.
*On Facebook, it doesn't do anything, no change after attaching and no way to post it.
*Hmmm... just tried on Snapfish, it seems to have worked.
*On Radikal, it doesn't recognize I selected a picture and does not enable "upload" button at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
download firefox and stop using Internet Explorer

Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
As my crystal ball is broken you'll have to provide a bit of info. Version of Windows? Version of IE?
Antivirus brand?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As my crystal ball is broken you'll have to provide a bit of info. Version of Windows? Version of IE?
Antivirus brand?
It is Windows 7 Home Premium, Internet Explorer 10. AVG antivirus (same one I used before)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
download firefox and stop using Internet Explorer
Why? How is it better? I would love to know as I always used only Internet Explorer
Thank you

Old 09-23-2013, 12:52 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Try using Firefox or Chrome and see whether you are seeing the same problems.
How big is this image file?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
How big is this image file?
I tried sending different sizes

Old 09-24-2013, 12:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
I tried sending different sizes

This is like pulling teeth ... how big are the images you are sending? 1MB? 25MB?
Are you seeing this problem with other browsers as well (Firefox, Chrome)?
This will help narrow down the culprits.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
It seemed like a browser issue but you mentioned AOL not working either and if I am not mistaken AOL uses its engine for its own browser which would mean, the issue is not only with IE.

I am thinking you were hit by a malicious software that messed up your computer and mainly the browsers you had installed at the time. I would suggested installing a different browser like Firefox or Chrome just to see if they work OK which would confirm our theories and would hint you on what you may have to do.

What I am not certain is, if you installed IE10 recently or you had it prior to re-installing Windows? That would be more relevant if you really re-installed Windows or repaired a previous installation as oppose to doing a fresh install of Windows after wiping the previous copy. Too many variables and unknowns to easily zero in on the culprit.

A quick troubleshooting step I would recommend is starting Internet Explorer in Safe Mode to see if it works or not:
START > RUN > type iexplore -extoff > OK
Ignore the safe mode warning and open gmail and repeat what you were doing to see if you can replicate the problem or not.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 AM

Yay!!
Apparently, it WAS the browser!
I restored IE back to it's original settings, and now I can upload again!

Thanks a bunch, everyone!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:52 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Like the OP, I am unable to upload images to websites and to email messages.

I have identical software (Win 7; IE 11; MS Outlook 2010) on my home PC and my work PC. I have no difficulty at all uploading images on my work PC.

For 4 years, I successfully used TinyPic.com to upload images before posting them on City-Data. The past several weeks, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. A few days ago, I completely lost my ability to upload images to TinyPic. I have also tried LunaPic and Shutterfly, and no photos will upload. (All of them work from my office PC.) When I try to upload to TinyPic, after a few minutes I get an Error 503 message. However, the TinyPic site is up and running, so the problem isn't on their end.

Also, starting several days ago, I have been unable to send email messages with images attached or imbedded. Even attached Word documents will prevent an email from going through. I never had a problem sending documents or images with emails before.

I have not deleted or changed any programs, and no one else has access to my home PC. What could have caused this inability to upload images and documents?

I've run Malwarebytes, and my Webroot SecureAnywhere security system. Both say that my PC is virus-free. I've also cleaned my cache, and that didn't help.

The files I'm trying to upload have been resized, so they are not large files. They're anywhere between 50KB and 450KB.

Any ideas? If so, can you share them in layman's terms?

PS - I tried uploading using Chrome and I have the same problems.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-13-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers