U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
14,952 posts, read 30,301,673 times
Reputation: 9418

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Take out the ink cartridges and recycle them and take the old printer to the rear yard and take some built up frustrations out on it.

FWIW Staples has a Wireless B/W Dell laser printer on clearance for $49.50.
The old printer is in the trash, I've already bought a new printer, it's not a Dell, and I would never buy anything Dell!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,715 posts, read 28,828,662 times
Reputation: 9985
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The old printer is in the trash, I've already bought a new printer, it's not a Dell, and I would never buy anything Dell!
Good and neither would I.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
14,952 posts, read 30,301,673 times
Reputation: 9418
Installed the new printer (Canon Pixma MG 2520). Same problem, says no scanner installed, and test print documents get stuck in the queue. I guess I'll reinstall it and see what happens.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,715 posts, read 28,828,662 times
Reputation: 9985
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Installed the new printer (Canon Pixma MG 2520). Same problem, says no scanner installed, and test print documents get stuck in the queue. I guess I'll reinstall it and see what happens.
Go to the Canon website and download the current software package for your OS.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
14,952 posts, read 30,301,673 times
Reputation: 9418
I did that, and nothing has changed. This is frustrating, I need a working printer. Everything is plugged in, but it says that the printer can't be detected.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,715 posts, read 28,828,662 times
Reputation: 9985
Then either the software on your computer is corrupted or your motherboard is failing. Can you copy off all your important data and do a full system restore?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
14,952 posts, read 30,301,673 times
Reputation: 9418
I reinstalled it, and it's printing fine, but says "No scanner installed." I'm going see if I can figure it out. This is a fairly new computer, I bought it in December of 2011, to replace my 10 year old Dell that was nothing but trouble from the beginning.

I emailed all of my important data to myself, so if something ever happens, I can access it. I'll play with it some more and see what happens.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM
 
28,782 posts, read 45,055,210 times
Reputation: 37829
Have you retrieved that "non-scanning" printer from the trash yet?

And a non smart-ass question: Have you deleted the print queue?

Here's a generic search for deleting it since I can't remember if we know what OS you are running.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
 
28,782 posts, read 45,055,210 times
Reputation: 37829
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Installed the new printer (Canon Pixma MG 2520). Same problem, says no scanner installed, and test print documents get stuck in the queue. I guess I'll reinstall it and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I did that, and nothing has changed. This is frustrating, I need a working printer. Everything is plugged in, but it says that the printer can't be detected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I reinstalled it, and it's printing fine, but says "No scanner installed." I'm going see if I can figure it out. This is a fairly new computer, I bought it in December of 2011, to replace my 10 year old Dell that was nothing but trouble from the beginning.

I emailed all of my important data to myself, so if something ever happens, I can access it. I'll play with it some more and see what happens.
So at first the printer installed (I assume from the CD that came with it) printed, but wouldn't scan. Then you downloaded software from the Internet and installed again. Did you uninstall the original install first? Now you can't print at all and the computer doesn't see the printer at all.

Do I have all that right?

My questions regarding usb ports:

1. Have you looked in Device Manage and check for any problems with them?

2. Are you using the same usb cable with the new printer that you used with the old one?

3. Have you tried a different usb port on the computer?

4. Have you tried another device that uses usb on the port you use for the printer and does it operate correctly?

Secondly:

Are you connecting to the printer wireless? If so connect with a cable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
14,952 posts, read 30,301,673 times
Reputation: 9418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So at first the printer installed (I assume from the CD that came with it) printed, but wouldn't scan. Then you downloaded software from the Internet and installed again. Did you uninstall the original install first? Now you can't print at all and the computer doesn't see the printer at all. The first printer died, it last about 4 1/2 years, and served me well. I do a lot of printing and scanning, so the deskjets get a lot of use from me.

Do I have all that right?

My questions regarding usb ports:

1. Have you looked in Device Manage and check for any problems with them? I checked, they're all working properly.

2. Are you using the same usb cable with the new printer that you used with the old one? Yes, but I just ordered a new one from eBay, and will switch when the new one arrives.

3. Have you tried a different usb port on the computer? There are no other USB ports available to use. The only other option is to switch something that's already plugged in.

4. Have you tried another device that uses usb on the port you use for the printer and does it operate correctly? Yes.

Secondly:

Are you connecting to the printer wireless? If so connect with a cable.
It's not wireless.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top