Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:18 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on Chromebooks?

They run Googles Chrome OS, integrate google drive for storage, and the chrome webstore apps.
You do basically 95% everything online. So they have limited usefulness, if you don't have a internet connection it's kinda useless. But a good 75% of the time there is a wifi network to hook up too.

Basically it's just running the chrome web browser. Which you can run on any other PC.

Really inexpensive PC's $250-$400 range.

I'm thinking of getting one. Even just for storage, maybe school, I don't know how "hackable" they are maybe I can put another OS on it. Iput Chromium (googles open source version, they put out for devs to test new features) on my very old netbook, it runs ok.

Anybody think chromebooks will ever catch on though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
If everything you want to do on a computer can be done within the browser and you are comfortable in Google's ecosystem, a Chromebook could be a good option for you. I'm close to that point myself.

I suspect that many people are convinced they can't function without MS Office and/or certain games on a notebook. a Chromebook is not for those people.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
I would sooner attach a USB keyboard to an Android Tablet.

psik

Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
What are your opinions on Chromebooks?

They run Googles Chrome OS, integrate google drive for storage, and the chrome webstore apps.
You do basically 95% everything online. So they have limited usefulness, if you don't have a internet connection it's kinda useless. But a good 75% of the time there is a wifi network to hook up too.

Basically it's just running the chrome web browser. Which you can run on any other PC.

Really inexpensive PC's $250-$400 range.

I'm thinking of getting one. Even just for storage, maybe school, I don't know how "hackable" they are maybe I can put another OS on it. Iput Chromium (googles open source version, they put out for devs to test new features) on my very old netbook, it runs ok.

Anybody think chromebooks will ever catch on though?
My opinion? It's not for me but someone else who's needs are specific, sure...

As far as hackable, if you can't even search the Internet to find out the answer to you question I think hacking one would be beyond your capabilities....

Let me Bing that for you!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
They are great for surfing the internet and email.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
My opinion? It's not for me but someone else who's needs are specific, sure...

As far as hackable, if you can't even search the Internet to find out the answer to you question I think hacking one would be beyond your capabilities....

Let me Bing that for you!
Hacking is obviously well within my capabilities. (If it were not I would not have mentioned it). Oh well for some it seems, whatever it takes to add to their post count.

I know we have some PC geeks here of this forum..I was wondering how their experiences may have been with possibly hacking it, if they even tried. Probably could have explained that within my OP..

cute link though...

Last edited by Jermaine88; 11-04-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I personally don't see the appeal of chromebooks. Laptops and tablets running Windows are available at the same price point. For students, Microsoft Office applications are often available for free from the school. You still have the cloud available to you if you need/want. I suppose if you don't care for Windows, chromebooks can be a good alternative (if it meets your needs).

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Hacking is obviously well within my capabilities. (If it were not I would not have mentioned it). Oh well for some it seems, whatever it takes to add to their post count.

I know we have some PC geeks here of this forum..I was wondering how their experiences may have been with possibly hacking it, if they even tried. Probably could have explained that within my OP..

cute link though...
If you had bothered to peruse ANY of the websites that "cute" simple Internet search returned you would have had your answer in spades...

But alas, you want to wait for the "PC geeks" here.

So be it...

Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
My Mom has one.

They are quick for what they cost and it does all she needs it to do. Setting up printing (through Google's cloud print) can be confusing for the average user, and I did have a Wi-Fi issue that I finally diagnosed. The old router my parents had was WEP and not WPA causing some issues in connectivity, but other than that it's been great.

Would I buy one? Probably not. I love Google's "ecosystem" and use most if not all Google services, but I'd only really get one if I was on a strict budget. Otherwise I'd probably look at a Surface...

Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
A Chromebook is similar to a Kindle: a proprietary device with limited functionality that is sold at cost (or even a loss) to increase market share for another revenue stream. It’s not about Chromebooks as devices (which are too underpowered) but Chrome and as browser/operating system—which could seriously dent Windows, especially for home users.

Google knew that applications are far too limited at present for Chrome to be anything other than a bargain option. Like Android, the only way to gain market share is to literally give it away. I’m sure Microsoft is really worried—or at least they should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers