U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,847,719 times

Advertisements

I've had my MacBook Pro for about 4 years and lately Safari quits unexpectedly Any advice on what might be wrong? Could it be a virus? Am I supposed to do regular "maintenance" on the Mac, like I used to do with the Windows PC ?

THANKS for any comments
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
What version? Any error message? Extensions? Plugins?

You could try disabling extensions and plugins and see if that stops it.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,947,111 times
There are numerous things that can cause Safari to quit unexpectedly check these articles out:

Let me Bing that for you!

As far as preventive maintenance goes once every couple of months I'll run applejack to keep my system clean:

AppleJack Project Page

Quote:
Using AppleJack, you can repair your disk, repair permissions, validate the system's preference files, and get rid of possibly corrupted cache files. In most cases, these operations can help get your machine back on track. The important thing is that you don't need another startup disk with you. All you need to do is restart in Single User Mode (SUM), by holding down the command and s keys at startup, and then typing applejack, or applejack auto (which will run through all the tasks automatically), or applejack auto restart (which will also restart the computer automatically at the end of the process).

Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,764,447 times
You can also run OnyX, which is a free application that can be downloaded from Apple and other places.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,947,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can also run OnyX, which is a free application that can be downloaded from Apple and other places.
The OP could also use Firefox or Chrome or Opera or Flock or Cruz or Camino or Shiira or Sunrise or Seamonkey or iCab....

The better thing for the OP to do is find out WHY Apples own browser on it's own OS won't work consistently...

Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 AM

14,256 posts, read 16,778,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I've had my MacBook Pro for about 4 years and lately Safari quits unexpectedly Any advice on what might be wrong? Could it be a virus? Am I supposed to do regular "maintenance" on the Mac, like I used to do with the Windows PC ?

THANKS for any comments
There was a Safari update a few weeks ago which caused me some problems with my 5 years old MacBook. Notably, sometimes the tab I was on would just freeze (it is easy to fix). So it could be due to that.

Unfortunately, Apple does not do backwards compatibility the way Microsoft does. So, later versions of Safari are really designed to work with later operating systems like Maverick and that, I think, is one of the reasons that a few gremlins can sneak in when you are using an older machine.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There was a Safari update a few weeks ago which caused me some problems with my 5 years old MacBook. Notably, sometimes the tab I was on would just freeze (it is easy to fix). So it could be due to that.

Unfortunately, Apple does not do backwards compatibility the way Microsoft does. So, later versions of Safari are really designed to work with later operating systems like Maverick and that, I think, is one of the reasons that a few gremlins can sneak in when you are using an older machine.
I checked my software update and there was none. However, I use Yahoo as my primary email and Yahoo Mail wants me to install the newer version of Safari to make their email better and I haven't wanted to do that for fear it will make more problelms.

I appreciate all the comments so far; I'm not very tech savy

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM

16,625 posts, read 25,684,414 times
Default just do it

Quote:
Yahoo Mail wants me to install the newer version of Safari to make their email better and I haven't wanted to do that for fear it will make more problelms.... I'm not very tech savy
Duh.
Install the updates.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,764,447 times
Quote:
I checked my software update and there was none. However, I use Yahoo as my primary email and Yahoo Mail wants me to install the newer version of Safari to make their email better and I haven't wanted to do that for fear it will make more problelms.

I appreciate all the comments so far; I'm not very tech savy
You checked "Software Update," found under the Apple menu at the top left corner of the screen? Run Software Update (it will take several seconds a couple of minutes), and it will tell you if your computer's software is up to date. You can set it so it checks for updates automatically, if you like. Otherwise run the application manually every other week.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Default RayinAK ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You checked "Software Update," found under the Apple menu at the top left corner of the screen? Run Software Update (it will take several seconds a couple of minutes), and it will tell you if your computer's software is up to date. You can set it so it checks for updates automatically, if you like. Otherwise run the application manually every other week.
I did that, clicked on the apple in the left corner and then clicked on software updates and it took about 15 seconds and said "your software is up to date".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers