Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,868 times

Advertisements

I bought a Logitech mouse yesterday and also a Roxio program for burning disks. My PC will not download them. There is no icon to click onto. Nothing comes up on the screen except for a little teeny round disk form on the pointer for a few seconds and that is it. When you put a cd into the tower, it makes a noise like it is getting ready to burn and then that is it. Nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,175,566 times
Please restate your issue: are you having problems installing Roxio sw? Are you having trouble using Roxio to burn a CD?
What OS are you running?

Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,812,773 times
The swirling circle near the mouse pointer tip is the computer thinking. You may have a software issue. Download ccleaner, run it and restart computer. Put a music CD in the CDROM drive and see if it will play music. If it plays then the drive is functional. From that point forward you should be able to run the install CD's from your products. If it doesn't play the CD, then most likely your CDROM drive has failed.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,676,406 times
It sounds like auto run may not be running ... you may just need to browse the CD and run the setup directly.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:33 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,676,406 times
Another thought .... is the drive a CD or DVD drive? ... if its an older PC it may have a CD drive, and the discs may be a DVD.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,868 times
I bought this Gateway back in 2010 and it runs Windows 7. It will not take any other cd or music or play a movie or anything. I have barely used the tool in the first place. I could not even download a Logitech marble mouse program either. I went to computer and double clicked on the CD Rom window when I put in the disk. The bar on top fills up like it is trying to do something but nothing happens. What is really odd, it wierds out my computer that the start and turn off program at the bottom of the left hand side of the computer disappears entirely and so I have to turn off the computer on the power bar and turn on again. I have a good virus program. I have scannedand scanned for viruses and don't have any. I don't go to hardly any sites anyhow. I use my computer for selling on ebay mostly and browse animal things and reborn doll tuditorials for art work. What was odd, I was able to upgrade to windows 7 and used the disk to do that. This Gateway computer come with Windows Vista and I just could not stand it so I upgraded with help from microsoft. I have a feeling that something simple is missing.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:28 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,040,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezreel View Post
I bought this Gateway back in 2010 and it runs Windows 7. It will not take any other cd or music or play a movie or anything.... I have a feeling that something simple is missing.
Quite possibly, given your symptoms, what you're missing is a functioning CD/DVD drive. If it won't read anything you put in it it's not working. Have you tried your Windows 7 disk again to see if it's readable?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,812,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezreel View Post
...It will not take any other cd or music or play a movie or anything....
Replace the CD/DVD drive. Easiest way is to go onto eBay and order an external one for about $20.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:45 PM

8,351 posts, read 13,499,556 times
Click Start > Computer and look for the CD/DVD drive and see if you can see it listed as a drive.
If it is not, chances are the drive has gone bad.
I am not sure the last time you have used the drive or if the possibility of either the power or the data cable to the drive bring disconnected of loose is even possible but here is what I would do IF the CD/DVD drive was not listed as a drive in Explorer (Computer):

1. Shutdown the computer, disconnect the power cord coming to the Power Supply.
2. Open the side of the case and briefly touch the power supply.
3. Check to see if both the power and data cables are firmly connected to the drive in the back. Follow the data cable and confirm it is also firmly connected on the motherboard as well.
- If a cable was loose or disconnected, then the issue should be resolve now so close the case, plug the power cord in the back and turn on the computer to check.

- If all the cables were firmly connected, then:
4. As soon as you turn on the computer, keep tapping F2 or DEL to enter BIOS settings.
5. In BIOS, not sure the exact menu but scan through until you find the section where all drives are listed. See if CD/DVD drive is listed. IF BIOS cannot see the drive, neither will Windows.
- If the settings were correct or you corrected them, save the changes -if needed- and reboot to confirm.

All the steps checked out and the drive is still not visible and you didn't have any CD/DVD editing or burning software previously installed and uninstalled, then see (b) at the bottom.

If you had a CD/DVD editing/burning software installed and then uninstalled, there is the possibility that the previously installed application could have left certain registry settings that would render the drive invisible/inaccessible.

This is an oldie but a goodie: CD/DVD Drive is not detected

If the drive is visible in Computer/Windows Explorer, then try (a) at the bottom, if no help, then it is (b).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It sounds like auto run may not be running ... you may just need to browse the CD and run the setup directly.
Along the lines of what Skunk mentioned, typically, most users do not touch their CD/DVD drive cables inside the case nor do anything to cause the cables to disconnect or come loose.

If that applies to you as well, in my opinion, quite possibly the culprit is one of these:
- Autorun is disabled on this computer (try running it manually by browsing to it (see my first suggestion).
- The media or download file is not good (corrupt file, bad disc, incompatible: 32-bit vs 64-bit, etc.).
- The CD drive cannot read;

a) Drive is dusty on the inside or lens is dirty (get a can of compressed air and blow it inside the drive from the tray slot in open position).
b) Drive is bad (need to be replaced)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers