Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 PM

186 posts, read 312,401 times

Advertisements

I have an older Toshiba Satellite L750. I had it for two years. I received my Dell Inspiron a month ago. My L750 has 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. Can I plug in the hard drive to the computer and put the RAM in the motherboard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
A Dell Inspiron what model?

Dell makes lots of computers under the Inspiron banner...

Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
You can't add all the RAM to what's in the Dell, laptops generally only have 2 memory sockets, the Dell at the most will have 1 slot empty, and depending on the type of RAM in both it may not be compatible.

Unless the Dell has a slot for a second hard drive (most laptops don't) you can't install the hard drive, nor can you replace the Dell's drive with the Toshiba's without formatting and reloading the Dell OS. You can attach it via a USB drive enclosure.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:29 AM

186 posts, read 312,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A Dell Inspiron what model?

Dell makes lots of computers under the Inspiron banner...
The Dell Inspiron M531R. The Toshiha is a Satellite L750.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Go to crucial.com and look up your computers (or have it scanned) to see whether the RAM cards are compatible.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,323 times
If you're willing to sacrifice your DVD drive, you can buy an adapter to install a second hard drive where the DVD drive normally goes. Here's an example:

Amazon.com: SANOXY® SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 12.7mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM: Computers & Accessories

Old 12-27-2013, 04:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
You void all warranties if you open a laptop. RAM will be RAM and a hard drive will be a hard drive. The hardware should be compatible as long as it fits. The only difference you might see is if the speed of the RAM is too fast for the motherboard.. then it will simply not be able to run at its max speed.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,463,406 times
You can also purchase an external "enclosure" for the old hard drive, which will allow you to attach it to the new computer via. a USB port. This would give you extra storage for backups, or large files (e.g. video).

As for memory, looks like the Toshiba and the Dell both use DDR3 PC3 laptop memory. The memory in your old laptop might be slower than the memory in your new laptop, but I don't think you would notice much of a difference. I am guessing that the Dell has two memory slots. It looks like the many of the current configurations that are available on Dell's website ship with memory chips in both slots. If one of the memory chips from the old laptop is larger than either one of the current chips (or if one of the slots in the new laptop is vacant,) you might be able to use a memory module from the old laptop to increase the memory in your new laptop.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
You can also purchase an external "enclosure" for the old hard drive, which will allow you to attach it to the new computer via. a USB port. This would give you extra storage for backups, or large files (e.g. video).
That's the way I would go with the old hard drive. Put it in an enclosure and use it as a backup drive or place to store media.

Quote:
As for memory, looks like the Toshiba and the Dell both use DDR3 PC3 laptop memory. The memory in your old laptop might be slower than the memory in your new laptop, but I don't think you would notice much of a difference. I am guessing that the Dell has two memory slots. It looks like the many of the current configurations that are available on Dell's website ship with memory chips in both slots. If one of the memory chips from the old laptop is larger than either one of the current chips (or if one of the slots in the new laptop is vacant,) you might be able to use a memory module from the old laptop to increase the memory in your new laptop.
You have to be careful because a lot of the time, the memory module on a lot of laptops is soldered into the board. You have one "chip" of hardwired RAM and then an expansion slot that is accessible under a cover. I would also be concerned about mixing the RAM do to not knowing things like the latency, timing, etc. Differences there can play havoc on the system, especially if the user isn't savvy enough to find BIOS settings that make both chips happy. For that reason, I would highly recommend just buying new RAM for the new laptop from a site like Crucial's.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:45 PM

17,713 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Sell the old laptop for $90 and use the money to buy a new external drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers