Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,925,447 times

Advertisements

What do you think so far? Will it replace your existing PC or Mac?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,062,095 times
If they were cheaper, like $99, I'd buy one. But right now they're too overpriced for what they are.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,925,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
If they were cheaper, like $99, I'd buy one. But right now they're too overpriced for what they are.
That's what I'm thinking.

For the same $499 that a Samsung Chromebook costs, I can get a really nice notebook with a 15.6" screen, 4gb RAM, 500gb hard drive and an i5 CPU.

The Chromebook has an Atom CPU (underpowered), a 12" lcd screen, 2gb RAM and only 16gb of storage.

Too little for too much money.

The Chromebook has two advantages - both I can live without:
1. Eight second boot time. I hardly ever reboot my computer. I usually put it in sleep mode.
2. 8.5 hours of battery life - the Notebook has 6.5 hours, but I can upgrade to a nine cell battery or carry an extra battery with me if I need the extra time.

I have Chrome installed, so I get all the advantages of the cloud. I also have the ability to run Windows applications.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,867,583 times
I wouldn't waste my money on a chromebook. It's a white elephant. Get a tablet, but wait for the next generation or iPad. Personally I wouldn't tether myself to Google's OS/cloud for any reason. I like my applications too much. To me a chrome book is a dumb terminal.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 PM

881 posts, read 1,818,262 times
I have two. The Samsung, and CR48. I now use the samsung 90% of the time for personal use. Internet, spreadsheets (Google docs), video & voice chats (gTalk).

I also have a 6 month old HP laptop (quad core, 8 GB RAM, 1G dedicated video memory), and a 2 yr old ASUS netbook (both running win7). I now only use the HP for playing games, photo editing, and as a print server (cloud printing). I also occasionally stream movies or play blueray DVD's from it (since it has an HDMI port).

Surfing the web is way faster on the Samsumg & CR48 then the HP & netbook. Even on sleep mode, the win7 is slower. And the constant amount windows update gets tiresome.

I haven't used the netbook at all, am probably going to give it to my brother as his computer is failing.

Otherwise, I use my Nexus S for accessing internet, email, news reader when I am on the go.

I don't use it for work, though it would function just as well since I use my work Macbook Pro mostly for email, calendar, spreadsheets, docs... all of which are on Google docs anyways. Since I am a software engineer, I have to work on the actual mainstream O/S for development work.

The Chromebook is intended for people who mostly use computers for internet. I would consider getting one for my parents one when they finally kill the new win7 Lenovo I got them last year...it's only a matter of time, despite the fact I set it up such that they have no admin privileges on it so they can't accidentally screw something up. The rest of my family have an amazing ability to kill computers.

I had numerous friends stay with me, they all really like the speed and convenience of the Chromebooks. They all had their own laptops/netbooks with them (which they could easily setup to my wifi). But they preferred the Chromebooks.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,773,715 times
Default yeah..........I'll sell it cheap.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
What do you think so far? Will it replace your existing PC or Mac?

and it's not a computer....it's a bad joke

Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,773,715 times
Default That's the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on a chromebook. It's a white elephant. Get a tablet, but wait for the next generation or iPad. Personally I wouldn't tether myself to Google's OS/cloud for any reason. I like my applications too much. To me a chrome book is a dumb terminal.

It's had to recognize sometimes but that's the truth, well said.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM

17,729 posts, read 29,949,538 times
Default Someone likes them

NPD: Chromebook sales outperform MacBooks in commercial sector as iPad loses ground

NPD: Chromebook sales outperform MacBooks in commercial sector as iPad loses ground

"As seen in the above graph, so-called Chromebooks gobbled up 9.6 percent of the market from January to November,"

Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,316,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

"As seen in the above graph, so-called Chromebooks gobbled up 9.6 percent of the market from January to November,"
I know that article was from an Apple blog, but the real story is the decline in Windows laptops. If someone buys a Chromebook, it’s much more likely to be in lieu of a netbook or some other Windows laptop than a Mac. The specs are so wildly different there can’t be much direct competition. Chromebooks compete more against iPads rather than MacBooks.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM

219 posts, read 432,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I know that article was from an Apple blog, but the real story is the decline in Windows laptops. If someone buys a Chromebook, it’s much more likely to be in lieu of a netbook or some other Windows laptop than a Mac. The specs are so wildly different there can’t be much direct competition. Chromebooks compete more against iPads rather than MacBooks.
Agreed. Comparing two different platforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers