Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM

859 posts, read 2,998,895 times

Advertisements

This is not intended as a flame war, so please don't look at it that way or go down that road.

I've used Windows PCs for many years now, and am currently using Windows 8.1 and think it's a very good OS. Since we are retired, We only use our computer for email and other general computing stuff.

However, I have been wanting to buy a MacBook Pro for awhile now, so I would like to know from you guys who have recently switched to an Apple MacBook Pro, how you like it and the OSX, and what real advantage did you find that is has over Windows? Were there any disadvantages?

How do you like Pages and Numbers?

Would also like to know if any of you guys didn't like it and went back to Windows?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,044,790 times
I use both a Mac (home/freelance) and a PC (work) I use the Adobe Creative Cloud on both. Both programs work exactly the same. That being said, both programs run exactly the same on a 6 year old iMac and a brand new HP PC (probably because of all the junkware that is installed)

I prefer the macs font handling capabilities, and well as file management system.

Word and Powerpoint use to be good programs, but have become so bloated with unnecessary "features".
I've been using Pages and Keynote almost exclusively for the last 4 years - Much cleaner interface and easier to use.

Excel is still better and more powerful at spreadsheets than numbers

I am ready to buy a new iMac after the holidays. I also need a new laptop as a second computer. Right now I am waivering between a MacBook air and a PC.

If you are only using your computer for simple computing, email and websurfing, go with a PC.
If you are looked into getting a mac, you don't need a MacBook Pro. get a MacBook Air.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 PM

17,732 posts, read 29,964,553 times
Default My Thoughts

1. The new versions of Pages and Numbers are weak. (I have not used Keynote). Apple did a hugh internal redesign and both applications lack many features. They will get better. But, remember, the target audience is the consumer with simple requirements. Both Pages and Numbers let you export to doc/xls files so I would start with them before spending money of MS Office.

2. I still use Word, Excel most of the time. They are just better for business-type uses. MS Office 2013 Mac is very expensive. MS Office 2011 Mac can be found for less, but is still not cheap.

3. I used a Mac from 1989 to 1997. Was forced to go to Windows until 2005 when I switched back. I do have VMware Fusion on my iMac with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 for testing uses. I hate Windows 8+. If I had to get a Windows machine, I would get Windows 7 on it.

4. Differences
a. Everything is smoother under Mac OS. I know smoother is not a technical term.
b. The Mac OS Finder is pathetic. I bough Pathfinder (Path Finder 6 by Cocoatech, $40) so I would have something with at least the functionality of Windows Explorer. I love Pathfinder.
c. Mac OS comes standard with Mail and Contacts while Windows users must buy software.
d. You can Google "Mac OS vs Windows" and do some reading, but I found all the articles to be mostly pushing one side and link bait.
e. Network management is much easier under Mac OS.

5. Mac laptops have better battery life than Windows laptops. This is because Apple is building both the hardware and the software.

6. The build quality of all Apple laptops is very good to excellent. You really have to shop diligently for high quality Windows laptops. That said, Apple stuff starts at a much higher price.

7. Mac app developers seem to put more energy into the User Interface than Windows developers. My perception.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
c. Mac OS comes standard with Mail and Contacts while Windows users must buy software.
I generally stay out of these types of discussions, but this is the only thing I'll disagree with. Windows users can get free versions of these from MS, or from a number of other providers.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM

15,467 posts, read 25,913,153 times
It takes some time to learn the OSX stuff. Things are done differently. I find that I prefer OSX, but only a little. I use both Windows and Mac, but for many years I used Windows exclusively. I gotta agree with the above poster that the Finder sucks. I've learned how to use it now, but give me Windows Explorer any day over the Finder.

Pages I think is fine for simple stuff. Numbers I don't use. Keynote is really good! I also hace MS Office 2011, and while it's pretty good, I prefer the Windows version.

Safari is okay, but I prefer to use Firefox on the Mac.

I like Time Machine for backups. On Windows, backing up was always so complicated, but not with Time Machine.

Just my quick thoughts.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,318,002 times
I agree with DinsdalePirahna that you probably need a MacBook Air, not a Pro. I also agree with davebarnes that build quality is a huge selling point. Low-end laptops have a near-zero profit margin—and their construction and materials reflect that. High-end ultrabooks have a similar price point to MacBook Airs, but there are so many to choose from it’s very difficult to know which offer the best design and construction. Apple specializes in the design and precision engineering of a handful of items with very quality control high standards.

Mac critics usually complain about (1) price; (2) customization and upgradeability; and (3) software availability, especially for games. As you’re thinking about a Mac I assume price is not a significant issue, and spec-for-spec, Macs are competitive with comparable models from other manufacturers. I would argue that the increased reliability and longevity are worth the initial investment. You’re also probably not concerned with customization. Macs are a great option if you just want to buy it and forget about it. And, given your demographic, you’re probably not much of a gamer.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,796,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
This is not intended as a flame war, so please don't look at it that way or go down that road.

I've used Windows PCs for many years now, and am currently using Windows 8.1 and think it's a very good OS. Since we are retired, We only use our computer for email and other general computing stuff.

However, I have been wanting to buy a MacBook Pro for awhile now, so I would like to know from you guys who have recently switched to an Apple MacBook Pro, how you like it and the OSX, and what real advantage did you find that is has over Windows? Were there any disadvantages?

Would also like to know if any of you guys didn't like it and went back to Windows?

Thank you
Pros: More reliable (that cheap PCs), less viruses, cheaper software, cheaper updates to the operating system, if you own an iPhone or ipad or iPod the seamlessness of moving from one to the other is my favorite thing about macs

Cons: More expensive, still less software

Beyond that, you are not limited to iWork (pages and numbers) there is office for mac. Pages is fine, and has some nifty tricks compared to word. Same for keynote. Numbers is the dud. Not a fan.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
1. The new versions of Pages and Numbers are weak. (I have not used Keynote). Apple did a hugh internal redesign and both applications lack many features. They will get better. But, remember, the target audience is the consumer with simple requirements. Both Pages and Numbers let you export to doc/xls files so I would start with them before spending money of MS Office.

2. I still use Word, Excel most of the time. They are just better for business-type uses. MS Office 2013 Mac is very expensive. MS Office 2011 Mac can be found for less, but is still not cheap.

3. I used a Mac from 1989 to 1997. Was forced to go to Windows until 2005 when I switched back. I do have VMware Fusion on my iMac with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 for testing uses. I hate Windows 8+. If I had to get a Windows machine, I would get Windows 7 on it.

4. Differences
a. Everything is smoother under Mac OS. I know smoother is not a technical term.
b. The Mac OS Finder is pathetic. I bough Pathfinder (Path Finder 6 by Cocoatech, $40) so I would have something with at least the functionality of Windows Explorer. I love Pathfinder.
d. You can Google "Mac OS vs Windows" and do some reading, but I found all the articles to be mostly pushing one side and link bait.

5. Mac laptops have better battery life than Windows laptops. This is because Apple is building both the hardware and the software.

6. The build quality of all Apple laptops is very good to excellent. You really have to shop diligently for high quality Windows laptops. That said, Apple stuff starts at a much higher price.

7. Mac app developers seem to put more energy into the User Interface than Windows developers. My perception.
Mostly agreed.

2 I'm not sure what you're talking about. There is no Office 2013 for Mac. There's Office 365, but the Mac versions are still 2011.

4(b) is less of an issue now. I used to use Pathfinder, but Finder is good enough now.
4(c) is not actually true. Windows includes both.

I liked the previous version of Pages. The new version blows. Numbers is a perpetual disaster. At least they're free.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,614,008 times
Quote:

I bought a 128GB MacBook Air in August and I love it... I had a Windows 7 laptop... never had the (mis)fortune of using Windows 8.

OSX is smooth. The battery life is good for 12 hours of solid use. No issues for me at all with software... I don't do much on it other than email/web browsing and AutoCAD drawing.

I have nothing bad to say about Windows either.. the laptop was just old and I wanted to try something new. The Air and the iPhone 5s I bought in September are my first Apple products. I will say that I don't miss virus checkers and spyware scanners.

As far as the hardware... it's pretty solid. You read the thread I posted at Thanksgiving about spilling soda on my keyboard. It happened on the 26th, my first day of vacation. The laptop was still fully functional for a week while I was in NY... only issues were the keyboard LED backlighting faded and the keys were sticky.

I got back to Seattle a week later and the topcase/keyboard was replaced and the internals were cleaned and all is well.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,290,498 times
Quote:

Thank you
I have been using Macs almost exclusively for 16 years now and have used every incarnation of OSX except for Lion. To ask what is liked about OSX without having prior experience with it asking a bit much since you have nothing to base, and, comparing OSX to W8 is apples to bananas (your choice on which one is the banana).

I did however purchase a new MacBook Pro, and am now on Mavericks (OS 10.9)...

If you are familiar with iOS, some of what you find in Mavericks will be similar. Such as the as-you-type spell check feature that suggests the correct word. It is kind of annoying, but if you are a poor speller it may be a Godsend. The universal spell checker remains, however, and is one aspect of OSX that in my opinion tops other OSs. No matter what you are doing, if it requires typing it can be spell-checked the same way. The only exceptions I know of are with Chrome and Office 2011, both of which use their own spell check methods.

If you are mainly using your computer for emails, web browsing, and other basic stuff I too would suggest the MacBook Air. One thing of note: the MBA and all other MacBook Pro's with the exception of one model do not have CD/DVD drive. You can buy one separately, though. Also, if you use firewire, you need to buy an adaptor.

As for Pages, Keynote, Numbers. None in my opinion are as "good" as what you find in Office, but they are good enough for basic tasks. Pages, however, seems to be taking a backwards turn and in my opinion has not been as good as it was back with the '09 release.

In my opinion, OSX is a good OS, but I have been using it going on 14 years now. It really excels for the power-users, but if you are just a basic computer user you probably will not access 98% of its hardcore functionality (the same can be said of Windows, too).

One thing of note is that OSX is heading in the direction of "mobile computing". This is largely in the dumbing down of professional apps and making things more iPad/iPhone usable such as with Pages.

Quote:
Yup, still missing features users have been asking for, and for some reason, ditched a few features that users, well, were using.

Quote:
I still use Office 2011. In my opinion, it is worth the price.

Quote:
You know you can partition your drive with Boot Camp and install a native copy of Windows. Of course you have to reboot, but why people are still using virtual environments after almost seven years is beyond me. Ok, I can think of a few reasons why, but still...

Quote:
4. Differences
Finder sucks, royally. Always had. Contacts is useful, but in my opinion Mail sucks, too. I prefer Outlook, but if you are a power user, Mail works really well.

Quote:
Around nine years ago, Apple began selling more laptops than desktops. Now, they sell like 4X the number of laptops to desktops. Ironically, OS 10.9 is the first version of OSX to implement any real battery management.

Quote:
I agree. Love them or hate them, they are solidly built.

Quote:
I agree, it is all about looking good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers