Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

Frankly any affordable lazer jet wouldn't do what I and many use a printer for. I used them for years in office and never wanted one really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's another win for lasers - longevity. Apparently, a nine year old inkjet is "really old." I guarantee that I could find a glut of twenty year old LaserJets that are still going strong.

Our copier (basically a fancy laser printer) is a model from at least 2002 (that's the date on the brochure from Sharp). It still runs great, and the per page cost is under 1.5 cents.
Depends. I have a portable inkjet that's about eight. It doesn't see a whole lot of use, but I throw it in a bag on airplanes and abuse the hell out of it. Awesome little printer. Slow and expensive. It's not what you'd want to do volume printing. That's the thing with the "older inkjet" printers. They were never meant for volume.

The office used to have printers from the '80s. They only upgraded because parts were starting to take a long time to get and the new printers are color. Before we used to have to do the cover page on a separate printer. Now everything comes off one printer and gets hole punched. They freed up a part-time employee and now just have one full-time employee who handles mostly printing. The old printers didn't hole punch. Takes a long time when you're talking 6-10k pages a week. Of course, the whole puncher costs several times what a good small office MFC does.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Do you Like your PRINTER?
Yeah....but not like that! we're just friends...

Old 02-25-2014, 12:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's another win for lasers - longevity. Apparently, a nine year old inkjet is "really old." I guarantee that I could find a glut of twenty year old LaserJets that are still going strong.

Our copier (basically a fancy laser printer) is a model from at least 2002 (that's the date on the brochure from Sharp). It still runs great, and the per page cost is under 1.5 cents.
A 9 year old inkjet is really old because Inkjet technology was in an early stage that wasn't comparable to the mature state of laser printers.

Times have changed. There's been a lot of innovation in inkjet printers. Nowadays, their faster than laser printers at the same price point, print better pictures, and many small business models are cheaper to run than laser printers.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,033 times
Several, and they all still run strong:
Brother MFC-7360N is the most recent (bought 2010, I think)
Brother HL-5140 w/ memory upgrade + the extra paper tray that I use for legal size (bought 2004)
Brother HL-2170W that I bought for maybe $50, Staples display model on clearance bought 2007-2008
Brother HL-1440 that I bought in 2002. I put an aftermarket drum and toner cartridge in it and my niece uses it at college

Inkjets: 2 older Canons.
Canon ip5000
Canon Pixma (MX420, maybe?) all-in-one
Both of those Canons have 5 ink tanks and a print head that's separate from the inks. I use ink refill kits. Perfect for an infrequent user.

I tried Lexmark, HP, Epson inkjets. Didn't work for me b/c I infrequently print color and the printheads always clogged between jobs so I always had to throw out ink cartridges and buy new ones every time I printed.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Basically like when we used laser in company we often replaced because even they overtime are much improved by software alone. I mean printers have come a long ways in speed and software since first available whether laser or ink jet. Often the software that comes with cheaper printers is limited as far as what it can do in either type. So depends what you need. I see the free with computer printers at next to nothing all the time and have three new ones friends gave me in boxes.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,033 times
That Canon PIXMA ip5000 that I have was bought prior to June 2004. LOL And it still prints great photos, even using refill inks. My other Canon all-in-one inkjet, I bought later, like maybe 2006-2007. I was very disappointed to learn that some of all of their current line doesn't have separate ink tanks. I'd go to color laser before I ever go back to a stinkjet that only has 1 or 2 cartridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers