Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,232,384 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks. When I am streaming Netflix on my PC, every 10 minutes the video will get "jumpy". Audio is fine, but the video starts to play at maybe every 3rd frame or so. This lasts for approx. 3 minutes every time and then goes back to normal playback. 10 minutes later, same issue. 3 minutes, and back to normal. During the time that the video is jumpy, the computer is all but useless for anything but listening to the audio and watching the jumpy video - it bogs down, you can't close any programs, can't switch tabs, etc. As soon as the video corrects itself, the computer is fine again. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 03:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,200,048 times
Your network is bogging down?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm not sure how to tell. Would it be so consistent though? It happens right around every 10 minutes exactly, and lasts almost exactly 3 minutes.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,063,009 times
Which OS? If Windows Have task manager open and set to show all processes and sorted with highest CPU usage at the top, when it starts bogging down look and see if there's anything with high usage.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Which OS? If Windows Have task manager open and set to show all processes and sorted with highest CPU usage at the top, when it starts bogging down look and see if there's anything with high usage.
Win 7. I opened Task Manager as you said and have it set to show the processes. I have it opened on top of the streaming Netflix window and since I've had it opened, it hasn't been jumpy. Plugin-container.exe *32 "Plugin Container for Firefox" has been on top of the Processes list the entire time with a CPU between 24-40.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM

I assume you're watching Netflix using Firefox? Try IE or Chrome to see if the issue continues.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,848,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Netflix buffers before showing up on screen. so if the signal drops, it buffers more. Sound more like something is running in the background sucking cpu usage. Suggest OP to download ccleaner and run it.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Netflix buffers before showing up on screen. so if the signal drops, it buffers more. Sound more like something is running in the background sucking cpu usage. Suggest OP to download ccleaner and run it.
Just installed CCleaner. I'm hesitant to "Run Cleaner" because I'm not sure what this program will do to all the boxes/applications that are checked. Are they deleted? I'm attaching a screenshot. Also, if I leave "Cookies" checked, does that mean that all of my saved password for websites will be erased? I'm a computer doofus, so I appreciate the help. Lastly, I clicked "Analyze" and let it run for a few minutes and it didn't even get past 0%, so I'm thinking this is something I'll need to let run overnight.

CCleaner Windows Column:

CCleaner Applications Column:

Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 PM

None of those items will likely be the cause of your issue, cleaning temp internet files would be the only thing that might help, but cleaning won't hurt either, what ever you do, do not use the registry cleaner.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,848,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Just installed CCleaner. I'm hesitant to "Run Cleaner" because I'm not sure what this program will do to all the boxes/applications that are checked. Are they deleted? I'm attaching a screenshot. Also, if I leave "Cookies" checked, does that mean that all of my saved password for websites will be erased? I'm a computer doofus, so I appreciate the help. Lastly, I clicked "Analyze" and let it run for a few minutes and it didn't even get past 0%, so I'm thinking this is something I'll need to let run overnight.

As to what is bolded, yes. I'm amazed your computer hasn't frozen up yet, But with 8GB of ram that was your saving grace. If after a few minutes and your still at 0%, then its pretty full of crap. Personally I use Norton Utilities (buy it off ebay for about $8). It gives my computer such a good cleaning out that even my cpu fan quiets down and my hard drive rarely flickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers