Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,296,170 times

Advertisements

I am visiting my mom and I have access to all those retro scary fake smile holiday pictures in her photo albums and I want to bring them to the digital age.

She has a scanner so I thought I would scan them to her pc then transfer them to a memory card and either buy her a digital picture frame for christmas or have them converted to Christmas Cards at a photo place but I dont know to you tranfer images to a digital card?

She has a desktop so there is no memory card holder is there a way I can transfer back to a camera? Or back to some other device?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 04:09 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,383,581 times
If you have a USB cable you can hook up to a digital camera you can use it just like a storage device. As long as Windows has the appropriate drivers for it. You could always get one of those USB card readers. They make ones that have ones that are just for SD cards all the way up to 80 billion in one..... Well not that many. But I seen a (i think it was) 56 in 1 card reader. You can buy them at best buy and usually don't need drivers unless using an older OS such as 98. You can buy them at electronics stores ranging in prices from 15 dollars and up.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:41 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,423,156 times
Scann in the hightest resolution possible. Makes big files but you get better results.

I would suggest you burn them to CDs and maybe copy them to a USB drive. Get a large one 1 gig or better. Then you can put them on your computer at home.
To transfer the digital images just copy the saved file to the USB drive.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM

53 posts, read 225,746 times
i agree it depends on the age of your parents pc. most pc's these days have some sort of card reader built into them, providing you buy them within the past couple of years.

in my opinion, the easiest way for you to transfer such files after youve scanned all you need onto the pc, if you have a pc at home that is that you use personally, get a thumb drive. transfer by drag and drop method from the file folder on the pc to the thumb drive. you can easily use the same technique for a card reader that you can buy practically anywhere these days that sells electronics for next to nothing. thats depending on your preferences. you can buy a multimedia card as well. again, depending on your preference to use in a card reader. most card readers are in the plug and play format so theres no need for installation providing you are on a pc that is newer then the windows 98 OEM. if thats the case and you are using windows 98, then you will need and install disk and most devices these days come as plug and play and most generally do not have a disk with them for installing on an older pc. in that matter i can suggest going to the website TigerDirect.com Best Deals - Computer Parts, PC Components, Computers & Electronics where i do tend to buy alot of my technological items since my husband and i have taken up the hobby of builiding pc's from scratch simply because. if you are on a windows 98 pc, i would go with the Iomega 15-in-1 card reader (which i do personally have) the box is red and white and shows the silver card reader on the front of the package. it averages $20 shipping and sales tax will depend on where you live or have it sent to (the company is based in illinois as i do and theres a sales tax for me so its a lil more expensive to have things sent to me in state) but they have some awesome delivery options. and most generally if your order is placed before 2pm your order will be processed and shipped if you dont live too far away, will receive your product within two days. if you live closer, you would more then likely get it the next day if you chose next day service and its ordered before 2pm CST.
i personally have many products that take a removable storage device and i would suggest sticking with one kind as opposed to many formats. most of our digital cameras as well as our mp3 cellular phones take the MMC/SD card (multimedia card/secured digital card) and we use the micro sd cards, a smaller card that fits inside a standard sized SD card that fits right into a card reader.
be warned its best to format your card before using it for anything to eliminate any file corruptions while transferring files from the pc to the card. most generally you can format them in a card reader that is connected to your pc via USB cable. it will show up on your pc as and extra drive depending on how many drives you currently have in the pc your on (disk reader cd-rom/dvd rom, cd/dvd +/- r/rw etc. you can also format it in another device you may be using the multimedia card in (camera, phone, etc.) and choose the format option through your settings that way.

sorry, i can go on and on about all the different options you have available to you with this matter and many many more.
hope this helps and i hope i didnt overwhelm you with all the info.
btw, i use that website ALOT i would reccommend it to anyone wanting to buy any technology items as they have a wide array of items

Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,002,530 times
Use a thumbdrive......fairly inexpensive, easy to use.....

Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,216 times
At a store called 5 Below, I saw an SD memory card reader that was the most inexpensive thing I've seen. $2. It was USB adapter that had a single slot for the memory card.

SD memory cards are pretty nice, 1GB is only going to cost about $20.

However, if you're looking at buying her a Digital Camera, I'd pick out the camera before buying any other memory cards. It'd be bad to spend money on an SD card and get a camera that used Smart Media or xD memory sticks or some other memory card.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,296,170 times
Im glad I have options I do appreciate you guys response.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,554,222 times
I have a card reader that I put stuff on and transfer to other computers, I also have the memory stick (usb thing on a key chain.) All she needs to have is a USB port and you can do it easy.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,347,005 times
I have a card reader that is by SanDisk, it reads like 12 different memory card types.

SanDisk | Products | Accessories | ImageMate® Readers (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1145)-SDDR-89-A15-SanDisk_ImageMate_12in1_ReaderWriter.aspx - broken link)

Its a convenient item to have and I picked mine up from Best Buy for about the same they offer it for on this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers