Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 07:38 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

I've been in IT for almost 20 years. I've used 1,000's of programs. I LOVED Windows XP.
Windows 7 is better. Period. That alone is reason to update. It's a BETTER XP! It really is.

And I am sick to damn death of everyone saying "Oh, but XYZ Program won't run on 7".
BS! BS! BS!
I have used 1,000's of software programs. 100's since 7 came out (probably close to 1,000 by now).
I have yet to find even ONE that WOULD NOT run on 7 using WINDOWS XP COMPATABILITY MODE.

How to use Windows Program Compatibility mode in Windows XP

Don't upgrade because MS said you should. Upgrade because XP SUCKS. Period. THis form the guy that thought XP was the best thing MS ever did. It was. It isn't now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've been in IT for almost 20 years. I've used 1,000's of programs. I LOVED Windows XP.
Windows 7 is better. Period. That alone is reason to update. It's a BETTER XP! It really is.

And I am sick to damn death of everyone saying "Oh, but XYZ Program won't run on 7".
BS! BS! BS!
I have used 1,000's of software programs. 100's since 7 came out (probably close to 1,000 by now).
I have yet to find even ONE that WOULD NOT run on 7 using WINDOWS XP COMPATABILITY MODE.

Don't upgrade because MS said you should. Upgrade because XP SUCKS. Period. THis form the guy that thought XP was the best thing MS ever did. It was. It isn't now.
This. With the exception of Windows ME and Windows XP, every version of Windows has been an improvement from the one preceding it.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:

BS! BS! BS!

THIS.RIGHT.HERE ...

XP was awesome, the greatest thing ever .... until Vista came out.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:

BS! BS! BS!

This post brought to you by Microsoft Corporation ©.

By all means, if you can acquire a copy of "GetWired" electrical diagram building software program and can get it installed on Windows 7 64 bit without the use of a virtual machine, then by all means, post your findings here. Others, don't scream "BS".

Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
This post brought to you by Microsoft Corporation ©.

By all means, if you can acquire a copy of "GetWired" electrical diagram building software program and can get it installed on Windows 7 64 bit without the use of a virtual machine, then by all means, post your findings here. Others, don't scream "BS".
Looks like it's no longer available. Find me a download for it and I'll get it working.

Maybe it's time to find a different program?

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-29-2014 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: restored quoted portion to comply with TOS

Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Just wondering how many here still run Windows XP on any of their computers?

Are you going to upgrade your current computer to a newer version of Windows?

Or buy a new PC?

Or continue to run Windows XP, and hope your computer doesn't get infected or hacked?

Your thoughts .....
Bodhi Linux Gone here

Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Fixed.

Looks like it's no longer available. Find me a download for it and I'll get it working.

Maybe it's time to find a different program?
That doesn't fix the problem.

Also, there is no download for the program. It was a purchased copy that is no longer available. So, your solution is to spend more money on software that may or may not offer the same quality that my father found in this particular title? This is a reason why people stick with the older OS. It isn't that they are doing everything on these computers. Quite the contrary, these computers are often secondary may serve the purpose of only being the vehicle to drive that one software title.

Last edited by skinsguy37; 07-29-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That doesn't fix the problem.

Also, there is no download for the program. It was a purchased copy that is no longer available. So, your solution is to spend more money on software that may or may not offer the same quality that my father found in this particular title? This is a reason why people stick with the older OS. It isn't that they are doing everything on these computers. Quite the contrary, these computers are often secondary may serve the purpose of only being the vehicle to drive that one software title.
Agree with this. Why spend hundreds of dollars when what you have works perfectly. We have an XP box kept for the same reason. It doesn't need an internet connection so we have no worries about virii or malware. It doesn't need updating either. I upgrade the computers that needed it, but this one doesn't need it.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:09 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I posted earlier (much earlier) in this thread. I stayed on XP on my main PC but switched to Chrome as my browser. I also use MSE (they will keep updating it until some time in 2015) and Malwarebytes (the premium version) and have had no problems at all. OTOH, that XP PC is NOT my main BROWSING PC -- my netbook is, and it has Windows 7. (On the XP PC, I only go to about 6 sites total, all ones I've used for years.)

I got the Windows 7 discs with my current computer, but I have no clue where they are, nor do I know where all my program discs are (and I use some OLD programs, e.g. WordPerfect 8, Adobe Acrobat 6.0). THAT is the main reason I haven't switched.

Alas, though, my main PC may be on its last legs, so I may be buying a new PC soon. It will have Windows 7 on it. I need to search for all my program discs as I will have to re-load them ...

Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Agree with this. Why spend hundreds of dollars when what you have works perfectly. We have an XP box kept for the same reason. It doesn't need an internet connection so we have no worries about virii or malware. It doesn't need updating either. I upgrade the computers that needed it, but this one doesn't need it.
Exactly! My dad understands that whatever computer he puts this software on is one that he doesn't use online - it's just a computer to run the wiring software. And this is something he can continue to use until he does run across another wiring software title that he likes and can easily use as much as this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers