Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
What if you have no money?
Then don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:12 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Magnum Mike, can you please be more specific: does an UPGRADE (not clean install) preserve your currently-installed programs etc.? Despite the issues you list, I would rather do that than wipe out my hard drive and have to start anew, because I have no clue where all my program discs are.

What is "Microsoft's upgrade site"? The only page I found in doing a very quick search was a page that was clearly for a FRESH INSTALL -- they called it an "upgrade" but they're not using it the way you appeared to.

If I can "upgrade" to a new OS without having to re-install all my programs, I would be very happy -- but I didn't think that was even possible.
Karen, sorry for the delayed response - Microsoft has an Upgrade Advisor web application. Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

You'll have to download and install a program on your XP computer. It's useful because when you run it, it will tell you which programs will work with the upgrade to 7, which ones will not, and which ones are questionable. With 7's 32-bit version, I would say most of your programs on XP will work with the 7 upgrade.

On the program install disks, you may be able to either download the software from the vendor's website, or order replacement CDs.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 03-21-2014 at 08:24 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Karen, sorry for the delayed response - Microsoft has an Upgrade Advisor web application. Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

You'll have to download and install a program on your XP computer. It's useful because when you run it, it will tell you which programs will work with the upgrade to 7, which ones will not, and which ones are questionable. With 7's 32-bit version, I would say most of your programs on XP will work with the 7 upgrade.

On the program install disks, you may be able to either download the software from the vendor's website, or order replacement CDs.
Thanks for that Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor link. It is VERY useful!!!

It told me my desktop PC is compatible with Windows 7 based on it having the minimum hardware requirements.

It did find a few programs that are not compatible. Some it told me that compatible versions are available on the vendor's website.

However, the biggest issue I have is my Windows XP Office Professional is not compatible with Windows 7. That's an expensive program to replace. It's insane that Microsoft is forcing people to buy new versions of MS Office as well, if we plan to keep using Word, Excel, etc.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

However, the biggest issue I have is my Windows XP Office Professional is not compatible with Windows 7. That's an expensive program to replace. It's insane that Microsoft is forcing people to buy new versions of MS Office as well, if we plan to keep using Word, Excel, etc.
In all fairness, Office XP is 13 years (and a 4 or 5 versions) old.

That said, it appears that only Outlook 2002 (the version included with Office XP) is affected, so as long as you don't want Outlook you should be able to install it (just do a custom install, and exclude Outlook completely).

Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

That said, it appears that only Outlook 2002 (the version included with Office XP) is affected, so as long as you don't want Outlook you should be able to install it (just do a custom install, and exclude Outlook completely).
Thanks, I just searched Google, and what you stated is correct:

Is Office XP compatible with Windows 7? - Microsoft Community

All of the Microsoft MVP's are saying it will work in Windows 7.

I wish the Advisor would be more specific, since it simply tells you that Office XP is not compatible.

It states "This version of the program will not work on Windows 7. Get a paid update to a compatible version."

Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Thanks, I just searched Google, and what you stated is correct:

Is Office XP compatible with Windows 7? - Microsoft Community

All of the Microsoft MVP's are saying it will work in Windows 7.

I wish the Advisor would be more specific, since it simply tells you that Office XP is not compatible.

It states "This version of the program will not work on Windows 7. Get a paid update to a compatible version."
I have no use for Outlook anyways, it's over-kill if you just want to use it for email. Microsoft's Live Mail has pretty much the same functionality as Outlook, including Calendar.

Microsoft, as well as many other software companies nowadays are not as flexible with licensing as they used to be. I had MS Office 2000 Professional installed on a Dell with Windows 2000 up until 7 years ago and I was able to install it on as many computers as I wanted. You don't have that capability anymore if you decide to buy Office 2010 or 2013, you can only install it on one computer, and if you need to install it on another one, you'll have to buy another license. Depending on the versions that are available, they usually cost anywhere from $100 for the basic typical home versions, up to $500 for the full enterprise versions.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Thanks for the reply! I actually KNOW my computer is compatible with Windows 7, since that was the default OS when I bought it 5 years ago -- I chose to have XP installed on it instead but also got a license for Windows 7 and the discs. But after 5 years and a move to a new house, I have no idea at all where those discs are, nor where the discs are for all my programs.

Many of my programs are quite old (e.g. WordPerfect 8 -- I absolutely HATE Microsoft Word) so I really need the discs. I did buy WP 8 for my work computer (my job uses Word) but the new discs of even older programs have licensing restrictions (as you pointed out in another post), so I can't load those new discs on my computer after changing the OS. At least I know WordPerfect 8 works with Windows 7, as that's what I have on my work PC.

I will check out the Upgrade Advisor to see about the other programs I have on my XP PC. Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
What if you have no money?
Use Linux.

or

get a job. If you have one job, then either get another one or get a better one.

or

just use XP.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Use Linux.

or

get a job. If you have one job, then either get another one or get a better one.

or

just use XP.

What is Linux?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
What is Linux?
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers