Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 02:47 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm probably the last person on Earth to join Facebook. I resisted for the longest time, but my friends persuaded me to finally give it a try. I have a newbie question that Facebook's FAQ didn't really help me with. Using Facebook (and I think this is what Graph Search is for), how do you find people within a certain range that are A, B, and C? For example, if I wanted to get a listing of every person in my city who likes hockey, is Catholic, and is over 40, is there a way to do that in Facebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
I thought I was the last one to join Facebook ... guess I'm the second to last.

I tried a similar detailed type of search and came up with nothing. The only way I found to whittle things down was a tedious one -- I picked which criteria were the most important (in my case it was topic of interest and then location) and searched for those, and then just waded through all the suggestions Facebook gave me.

The problem is that Facebookers do not include (or make public) every tidbit of info about themselves. You could perhaps come up with a list of those in your city who like hockey, but they probably won't include their ages nor religious affiliation (or you could find the right age group of people, but other criteria isn't available).

I'm new at this, too, so I find pages that fit my topic and then look at who else likes the pages, and then follow them or send Friend Requests. I look at profile pictures to guess if I'm in the same age group (which can be a crapshoot). I've also used a "back door" -- finding a meet-up type of group online, and if members are listed (sometimes they are, sometimes not) I go back to Facebook and search for these individuals and see what Facebook pages they like.

Hopefully a more seasoned Facebooker will see this thread and enlightened both of us, that it's simple as pie to find "friends" with similar interests.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I wouldn't really consider Facebook a place to MAKE new friends.
"Seasoned Facebookers" would call what you are doing "stalking". If some random person I didn't know sent me a friend request and said "Hey, I like the Cleveland Browns, too" I would not be friending that person.
Put all your REAL friends on Facebook.

A local forum might be a better starting place for something like that.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wouldn't really consider Facebook a place to MAKE new friends.
"Seasoned Facebookers" would call what you are doing "stalking". If some random person I didn't know sent me a friend request and said "Hey, I like the Cleveland Browns, too" I would not be friending that person.
Put all your REAL friends on Facebook.

A local forum might be a better starting place for something like that.
I wouldn't use it for that purpose. Obviously I wouldn't start sending friend requests to everyone who likes the same stuff as me. It's really just so I can get a better idea of how many like-minded people are nearby. I wouldn't send friend requests to them, but would've curious to know what groups they're in. I think it's a great way to learn about groups and forums you might not be aware of.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Facebook is for just connecting with people you KNOW and see what's happening with them - NOT A PLACE to meet new folks. I reconnected w/old high school friends, etc. - sounds like OP needs to join a meetup group or something.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,690,297 times
I signed up a long time ago but my I mostly just had it there in case somebody searched for me. I didn't really start using it until a couple months ago when I joined a peer group that meets in real life along with facebook.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:40 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Facebook is for just connecting with people you KNOW and see what's happening with them - NOT A PLACE to meet new folks. I reconnected w/old high school friends, etc. - sounds like OP needs to join a meetup group or something.

Find your people - Meetup

Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM

I used meetup long before I joined Facebook. I wasn't happy with it so I was hoping Facebook might be better.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Facebook isn't really for meeting new people. If you send out too many friend requests to people that don't confirm that you are friends, Facebook will block you from sending friend requests for a certain time period.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Facebook isn't really for meeting new people. If you send out too many friend requests to people that don't confirm that you are friends, Facebook will block you from sending friend requests for a certain time period.
I wouldn't use it that way. I'm very selective in who I send friend requests too. Unless they're people I know, I don't bother. But sometimes you might be on a website or forum commenting on an article and you see the same people over and over and realize you agree on a lot of things. I wouldn't automatically friend that person. But the fact that we have a good deal in common would make me more inclined to accept a friend request from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers