Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 PM

128 posts, read 183,670 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what to think about Adobe making all of their programs subscriptions. This is one of the reasons I became so discouraged with becoming a graphic designer.

In school, I had access to the programs but as soon as I left, this crap happened...I was never able to afford the physical program so it seems my only option is subscribing to Adobe Creative Cloud or forgetting graphic design as a career.

Every single job posting for GD says they need you to be proficient in Adobe's programs...obviously, because they are the industry standard. The price every month upsets me but what upsets me MORE is that you cannot work on your projects if you can't pay.

Why would I choose to let my work be pretty much directly in the hands of someone else?? How unfair to not be able to work on anything if you can't pay your monthly fee. Ugh...honestly, when that all came about, I just felt defeated. So I gave up on the idea of GD because of that.....

What about you other GD's? How are you dealing with the CC thing? Do you like it? Can you justify it? I just want to hear others' opinions...maybe if someone can justify it well enough to me, I'll get back into the field, because I was good at it and enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,029,607 times
I actually like it. Software is constantly update, you have access to the entire (master Collection) software suite (which was about $2000/retail) 20 gb of cloud storage, the adobe font library and more. Yes its worth it.

]and to be a professional graphic designer, you need to know how to use it. Sure there are free programs out there, and some are very good. But they are not standard and weird things can happen when you are sending art out for production. Even good and popular programs like CorelDraw are not accepted by most print shops.

I can justify it because i build the subscription cost into my freelance fees.

You could get a lower version of the programs and work with them, I believe Adobe was giving away CS3 or 4 a while back.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
But they are not standard and weird things can happen when you are sending art out for production. Even good and popular programs like CorelDraw are not accepted by most print shops.
That's really the major issue, I don't consider myself a graphic designer but I know my way around an image and video editors really well. I've used Photoimpact since the 90's and never found anything it couldn't do except when it came to sharing with the professional community. Most of my stuff is in house so it was never really an issue.

I can remember in the early 2000's doing things you couldn't do in PS, it had this pseudo 3-D image manipulation where you could manipulate and even merge objects like a ball along the z axis. I'm sure PS has that by now but it didn't then. It also had incredible support for .gif and .gif animations with the companion .gif animator.

It's unfortunate there wasn't a really good open source format to replace Adobe's that all image editors were using and accepted by the professional community. The cost of PS would be lowered dramatically but instead people in the professional community are locked into using it. That's a double edged sword because open formats are usually slow to develop and support becomes problematic.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:16 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,876,157 times
I'm an architect and ex graphic designer, we're all sticking with CS6 as it'll do for a few years yet. Going forward I don't know what's going to happen, but no professional I know of is using creative cloud. Why didn't you get CS6 as a student? It's not that expensive (about £200 for design standard in the UK.)

Old 10-03-2014, 12:46 PM

84 posts, read 87,843 times
I have set Adobe Design Premium 4 on my computer recently because I make flash -applets sometimes. But I didn't like this Adobe's product. It is large (some GB) and hard to study. And it is better for me to make pictures using Corel Draw and Corel Photo Paint and to code in the old Macromedia Flash.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:20 PM

128 posts, read 183,670 times
I didn't get CS6 because I couldn't afford it, plain and simple.

I can deal with the cost every month....but how do you feel about not having permanent access to your work, unless you pay? This upsets me so much.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 PM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
Riding CS4 as long as I can...

Old 10-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,155,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
how do you feel about not having permanent access to your work, unless you pay? This upsets me so much.
Why would you not have permanent access?

Don't save it to Adobe's cloud, save it locally or to a cloud account that you plan to keep.

Export your finished work as a PDF file or a JPG. Then you can open it forever, with a variety of tools. Trust me, you're not going to want those Illustrator or InDesign files 10 years from now.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,029,607 times
Yep. All may work is stored on my hard drive (and back up). You can put current projects on the cloud and edit them anywhere.

Your CC login information is the same for Macs and PCs. You can download the programs you need on any computer (that has enough system resources), in any office or home, and work where ever you are.

as far as saving 10 year old files: there are many times i go back to my old files for various reasons. I once did a huge program for a national championship regatta back in 1997 in QuarkXpress. 14 years later, i was able to upon the Quark file in InDesign, make design updates and use essentially the same program for that years race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers