Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,989 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place for this thread. I found out today that Microsoft Mappoint is discontinuing updates at the end of the year. Unfortunately, I use it pretty much every day and have been struggling in the past few hours to find something even remotely close.

What I need it to do:

Show territories visually (and visibly see the names of the territories)
-These territories must be zip code based
Get directions without losing the view of the territories

I've tried both Google and Bing maps, and it seems that you lose the territory view when trying to get directions.

Having it export the zips and which territory they're in to an Excel file is also useful to me, but I don't need any fancy reports, I don't need multiple-stop route suggestions or territory suggestions. It especially does not need to have fancy mobile support. What I do need is updated data. It also needs to be comparable in price to Mappoint. Also needs to be runnable on a 32 bit system.

Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 09:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,499,109 times
Microsoft MapPoint Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net

Some of our guys have used Maptive with good results. Google maps has some interesting GIS features.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
I asked a similar question recently:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...ernatives.html

Don't get your hopes up. I've been digging for a while now, and I can't find a suitable replacement for S&T. MapPoint is S&T with an API, so it's going to be even harder to find a proper replacement for that. Hopefully, you'll be able to find something suitable for your situation.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I asked a similar question recently:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...ernatives.html

Don't get your hopes up. I've been digging for a while now, and I can't find a suitable replacement for S&T. MapPoint is S&T with an API, so it's going to be even harder to find a proper replacement for that. Hopefully, you'll be able to find something suitable for your situation.
Thought it was the other way around with Mappoint and S&T. :/

Either way, I've tried almost every single suggested alternative on their site and they're all garbage.

Maptive didn't quite have what I needed either. You'd think with these alternatives that given all the neat stuff they can do, they'd do something as basic as show directions overlaid on preset territories.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,655 times
If you're in sales, the best alternative to Mappoint and Street&Trips is the Badger Maps. I've been using it for a while and fits perfectly my needs. I can export my data, find the best prospects, and find the best routes. You should give it a try.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 PM

847 posts, read 767,401 times
oh man good old map point.
remember using 15 years ago back when we only had map quest.

i even plugged in a usb gps into my laptop while driving to miami and it would show me moving on the road. good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers