Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 09:22 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times

Advertisements

I am using Spamnihilator with Thunderbird. The training area and recycle bin are pretty user frendly, but what is sorely needed is a feature where where hard-core no-question-about-it spam can be automatically deleted where it is not even in a list that you have to scan through to retrieve the occasional legitimate messages that made the spam filter. I don't even want to see those messages about which there is no question they are trash.

If you have any concern about losing legitimate messages that can be classified as spam there will always be a need to look through the spam filter to be safe. I would rather scan a dozen messages than 600.

You can set up custom filters for the individual hard-core spam messages, but this is really tedious and takes too long per item. I would rather right click on everything hard core and select "delete immediately" or "delete from server and never download again."

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
You need to tell the creators of Spamnililator this, not a bunch of techs in a forum.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I am using Spamnihilator with Thunderbird. The training area and recycle bin are pretty user frendly, but what is sorely needed is a feature where where hard-core no-question-about-it spam can be automatically deleted where it is not even in a list that you have to scan through to retrieve the occasional legitimate messages that made the spam filter. I don't even want to see those messages about which there is no question they are trash.

If you have any concern about losing legitimate messages that can be classified as spam there will always be a need to look through the spam filter to be safe. I would rather scan a dozen messages than 600.

You can set up custom filters for the individual hard-core spam messages, but this is really tedious and takes too long per item. I would rather right click on everything hard core and select "delete immediately" or "delete from server and never download again."

Don in Austin
As Tek_Freek says, send a letter to the outfit who scammed you into installing their it really doesn't work software...

~peter in San Antonio

Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
If the software isn't doing its job, then it's not doing its job. Find something that does, and if you paid for it, request a refund.

Or let google handle your mail. Their spam filtering is far and away the best in the business.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You need to tell the creators of Spamnililator this, not a bunch of techs in a forum.
It is a free program so I am not really in a position to raise hell with them. Also several other programs I have tried behave exactly the same way. In response to a different reply, I do not want to use a g-mail address for my business which has its own domain.

I posted because perhaps someone is familiar with a program that will make it easy to tag e-mails that will never again even be downloaded, or alternatively, automatically deleted. Some member of "a bunch of techs" might know of such a program, free or otherwise, that does what I wish.

Don in Austin

Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
In response to a different reply, I do not want to use a g-mail address for my business which has its own domain.
You don't have to.

Google Apps for Work ? Email, Collaboration Tools And More

$5/user/month. Quite the bargain, if you ask me. I have a few web servers and have been hosting my own sites/dns/email for nearly two decades, but nobody can beat Google's spam filtering, so I use them for our business email and my primary personal domain's email.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As Tek_Freek says, send a letter to the outfit who scammed you into installing their it really doesn't work software...

~peter in San Antonio
It actually works quite well at sorting spam messages -- better than most. The issue is having to scroll through all the spam messages to make sure I don't inadvertently delete a wanted message. I want to reduce the number of messages in the "training" folder by eliminating those from showing up that I have tagged "never again." I haven't found a program that will easily do this. Yes, you can set up individual filters, but that is relatively tedious.

I hardly feel scammed considering that the program is free and considering that I have downloaded trial version of programs that are not free and they do not have the feature I am looking for either.

Don in Austin

Old 10-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You don't have to.

Google Apps for Work ? Email, Collaboration Tools And More

$5/user/month. Quite the bargain, if you ask me. I have a few web servers and have been hosting my own sites/dns/email for nearly two decades, but nobody can beat Google's spam filtering, so I use them for our business email and my primary personal domain's email.
Do they ever drop an e-mail you wanted? How do you check against that? The $5/month would be no problem whatsoever.

Don in Austin

Old 10-18-2014, 06:30 PM

I've been using them with the business email for around 5 or 6 years, and my personal email for longer, and I've never had someone tell me they sent something which I didn't receive. Of course, if they don't say anything, then I have no way of knowing.

Let me put it this way: Email is obviously mission-critical for business. I have decades of experience running mail servers, and even more time in "information technology" in general. I believe that I'm not losing anything significant. Maybe an occasional newsletter or press release will hit my spam folder, and a lot of the server-generated emails I get (administrative stuff for the boxen I manage) will end up there, but not much else of interest.

Give them a try for 30 days. All you need to do is sign up, create your users and groups/aliases, then update the MX records for your domain. If you're not satisfied after a few days or a week or two, just switch your MX records back and it'll be back to normal.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I've been using them with the business email for around 5 or 6 years, and my personal email for longer, and I've never had someone tell me they sent something which I didn't receive. Of course, if they don't say anything, then I have no way of knowing.

Let me put it this way: Email is obviously mission-critical for business. I have decades of experience running mail servers, and even more time in "information technology" in general. I believe that I'm not losing anything significant. Maybe an occasional newsletter or press release will hit my spam folder, and a lot of the server-generated emails I get (administrative stuff for the boxen I manage) will end up there, but not much else of interest.

Give them a try for 30 days. All you need to do is sign up, create your users and groups/aliases, then update the MX records for your domain. If you're not satisfied after a few days or a week or two, just switch your MX records back and it'll be back to normal.
I will consider this. Thank you.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers