U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 PM

537 posts, read 448,902 times

Advertisements

. . . And, can't reach the person who usually 'does this stuff' for me.)

Webroot popped up saying that my PC is infected with : Pua.Spigot . . .
and, directs me to "remove any USB device" in "preparation for threat removal."

Can anyone tell me how to safely do it without too many more details from me?
All I know off hand is that my PC is a "lenovo".

OK, I looked, and there are five various looking plugs (on their respective wires) plugged into the back, &, two in the front. . . . But . . . *How do I tell *which* I need to keep plugged in, in order to remove this 'thing' . . . ? Andd then . . . how do I get the all plugged back in the way they were before . . . ?

IF you need to know more, just ask!

Spigot Redirect Virus Removal Guide (Jun6)

"People like to add some functional add-ons on their web browser for convenience. But some malware or spyware may camouflage as add-ons or legal programs for users to download. If you install them carelessly, your computer will be in danger. Spigot toolbar or Spigot Redirect Virus is such one can really mess up your computer. Learn about Spigot Redirect Virus . . ."
http://guides.yoosecurity.com/spigot...removal-guide/

Just HOW dangerous is this thing?
And --if I can't figure out how to remove it safely-- what can I do to protect it until my regular PC manager-man is available???

I didn't know I installed anything, but, have tried to open a few websites that Webroot warned were likely unsafe, so closed them ASAP.

A few days ago my Firefox began freezing quite often. So I ran a Webroot scan then, but it turned up nothing. Since then it is freezing easier. Then it told me about 'Pua.Spigot'.

Thanks for all helpful answers!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 AM

30,259 posts, read 32,683,485 times
It is a way to remove a storage device like a thumb drive without messing up the data you are either transferring from the device or saving onto it:

Safely remove devices from your computer

If you can get by without using your computer until your regular PC manager-man (I have one of those - my son ) is available, that might be the safest thing to do. It looks like manually removing the virus you have might be tricky if you have not done it before, and it does need to be removed. It can do some nasty things, including mess with your email.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-18-2014 at 12:21 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,057,731 times
Lot of good answers I bet in the "Computers" group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers