Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM

368 posts, read 928,815 times

Advertisements

My father passed away several months ago and only just now have I unpacked his desktop computer. It's not that old (although it does have the dreaded Vista) but it's pw protected. He had a hint (I've tried all the things I can think of - no luck) and possibly made a backup recovery disk but I have no idea where it is. What are my options to reset his pw or eliminate it completely so I can start from scratch? It's a perfectly good computer that I'd like my son to use for computer projects but I'm at a loss. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Lots of software you can download for free that will bypass Windows password protection.

As long as you have access to the physical computer.

I'd list the links here but finding them is the better way to learn about it. It will come in handy.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Not sure if it works for Vista but on XP unless you actually set a password for the "Administrator" account you could just boot into safe mode and change any password.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Lots of software you can download for free that will bypass Windows password protection.

As long as you have access to the physical computer.

I'd list the links here but finding them is the better way to learn about it. It will come in handy.
The OP did not say if Windows is passworded or the BIOS. If it has a password in the BIOS it can be reset by removing the BIOS memory battery and/or clearing with a jumper.

Don in Austin

Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I didn't do it for a while, so I don't know how it works on new computers, but you can try this:
Log into an alternate account. Chances are that the previous user left the administrator account alone.
Reboot the computer into safe mode, select administrator account, press enter without typing a password.
Then open the control panel and user accounts.
In user accounts, select the account you want to change the password for.
Click change password and then enter the new password, or click remove the password to remove the password from the account.

Or try password recovery program
7 Free Windows Password Recovery Tools

or erase everything on the computer and re-install Windows.
How To Clean Install Windows XP [Complete Walkthrough]

How to reset Administrator user name and password - Windows 7 Help Forums
Not the administrator on my computer, only user.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the responses. It's Windows Vista (Home Edition) so I am hoping that the tips above for XP/7 will apply. I'm trying it tonight.

And Vista isn't upgradable to 7 right? Once I get into this computer, I want Vista gone!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I would buy a fresh OEM copy of Windows 7 for approx $90-100 and just do a clean install. Clear away everything that was there before, reset it for a new user. If only because you don't want Vista anyways.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Is there a certain amount of RAM that I need for Windows 7? My dad's computer seems a little old (hearing the hard drive work). I tried the F8 trick and it didn't work: I booted into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and the Command Prompt never came up. It loaded the Windows files and then went back into the usual Windows opening login screen. There is no Supervisor or User Account Passwords set (disabled). So I started downloading ophcrack but I realized the download of the .iso was going to take 3 hours! So I went to bed. I need a blank CD since downloading to a thumb drive was a major network drain.

Also, doing a clean install of the OS won't mess up all of his data right? He has a number of writings/journals on the computer that I want to try to retrieve. Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
[quote=Razz2525;36904338Also, doing a clean install of the OS won't mess up all of his data right? He has a number of writings/journals on the computer that I want to try to retrieve. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

A clean install will delete everything. I'm going to do a search for a product I used to use.

Hang in there.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
This

//www.city-data.com/forum/15646466-post15.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers