U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,055,827 times

Advertisements

My CD/DVD player stopped working and D drive did not show up on My Computer along with C and the external HD's I have. Searching in Device Manager showed that the registry was corrupted. A computer tech friend suggested I delete the D Driver and reboot and that it would reinstall. So I did and no, it didn't--the D driver was MIA and continues no matter what. I even got a new CD/DVD device and installed it, thinking the computer would find a driver for it or DL one from internet sources. Didn't work.

I discovered this when I had printer problems so I uninstalled the printer with the intention of reinstalling it from the disk that came with it--and then could not reinstall printer because I no longer had a D drive that worked. I've been working on this problem for 3 weeks, at least, searching the internet for solutions and have come up empty.

My computer is an HP Compaq 6000 Pro Small Frame Factor computer using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I even know which driver is the one needed - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L ATA Device driver. Have searched the HP site and internet several times and cannot find what I need. Restore points only go back about 9 days (I deleted the driver about 3 weeks ago so restoring to a date a month ago is not possible). Absolutely nothing shows up anywhere on my computer for CD/ROM, CD/DVD, D Drive or the CD/DVD RW device that sits there. The lights on the device blink when I put a disk into it, so I know it's working and is trying to start but then it goes blank and does nothing because it cannot find the driver.

Most of the search links I found seem to go to Driver Detective which I installed and then did a scan for missing/out-of-date drivers. The scan listed only drivers that it said were out-dated--no missing drivers and the one I need was not listed at all. Therefore, I didn't want to fork over $30 for Driver Detective if it was not going to solve the problem.

Does anyone here on City Data have any ideas on how I can restore the D driver? Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 08:54 AM

23,433 posts, read 26,792,286 times
Sounds like you're having motherboard problems. Since you've tried replacing the drive already, have to tried plugging the SATA cord into a different port on the board? As to the printer having issues; A drive is not necessary as you can go online and download the software from the net. As to uninstalling the old printer driver; did you just delete the printer icon or did you actually uninstall the printer software?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM

No, I did not uninstall the printer driver--just the D drive. Thanks for the info about going online for the printer software. Will give that a try. Will also try your other suggestion when I find out how to carry out your instructions.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM

The CD/DVD drive is known as legacy. So whatever driver is loaded should work. Keep in mind that whatever is written on the label may not always be what the drive actually is. Many drives are re-badged from different manufacturers. If plugging the drive into another port on the motherboard does not work either then buy an external drive online and plug it into a USB port (depending on the unit and the motherboard, some may require two ports to function).

FWIW
If all the ports are not functioning, I'd probably start budgeting to replace the desktop computer asap if it's the only computer you have so you can transition easily with no down time if the motherboard completely fails.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM

I already have two external hard drives plugged in to USB ports that I use for backup and storage.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:00 PM

Took computer apart and moved SATA cable from CD/DVD unit to another port on the motherboard. D Drive still does not show up on My Computer--just the C Drive the the two external HD units I have. Will order an external D Drive and see if that will solve problem. Many thanks for your help, Pruzhany.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:08 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,627,025 times
Your last test in post #6 is not valid if the cable has failed. A new cable is cheaper than a new drive.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks, Tek-Freek. Will try that.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Did you uninstall the printer through "Uninstall or Change Program" yet? Download a new copy of the software and install it yet?

Keep in mind if you are using USB, you need to verify in the printer manual if the USB cable is plugged in or not during software installation.

If the printer does work, then I'd go to eBay and order the cable first and if not then order the external DVD drive which should not be more than $20 (I have the Memorex and the ASUS and neither cost me more than that) as now there is time.

fwiw
HP Compaq 6000 Pro Business PC (QuickSpecs/c04287311.pdf)

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the reminder that installation software is available on company's site. Got everything to do with printer reinstalled. Will get new cable and check that next. Hopefully, that will be the problem since that one is an easy fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers